1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons Podcast : Jalen Green Interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jordnnnn, May 24, 2022.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

It seems like they think Scoot has grown since his team now lists him at 6'4". He also has a long wingspan. I doubt he's really that height without shoes, but then most NBA players are not their listed heights either. It seems like scouts think he has the potential to be a very good defensive player, so I'm optimistic on that end.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sengun is better than Mobley.

megastahr and bmelo like this.
  3. MystikArkitect

Bro....stop. lol.

GotGame15 likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He doesn't chuck that much from outside, already a plus hahaha.

dobro1229 likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Evan Mobley’s career high is 38 points

he had to make a whopping 19 field goals in order to get it because he’s no threat from three, barely a threat from midrange, and he doesn’t get to the line

Guess how many of those 19 made shots he got assisted on? 15 of them

all this talk about his elite defense, yet when Jarrett Allen was out, the Cavs defense fell off a cliff

people really want to act like environment doesn’t matter…as if Jalen Green would be developing at the same exact rate and currently be the same level of player whether he was in a sh*tty situation like he’s been in so far, or if he was in a really good situation like Mobley

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Considering our backcourt is a turnstile on D, I doubt Mobley would look much better than Sengun.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Stone went for pure Offense instead of Defense with a tad Offense.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am not concerned with Henderson guarding SGs. He has a 6'9" wingspan and is built like a dump truck. His physicality will make up for only being 6'2" imo. I think a Henderson/Green backcourt would be dynamite. We would be so fortunate if that were to happen.

joshuaao, i3artow i3aller and xaos like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

I hope so, and would certainly take a chance on it. It is also less of a concern when you have long and rangy guys like Jabari and Eason.

Henderson is a complete animal, very competitive guy that will keep getting better and wants to lead and win.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

brother I respect your takes but I think people are seriously underestimating how good Mobley is. Everyone is saying he’s a defense only player. But he’s so young and developing his offensive game. I think he’s gonna turn out to be a very good offensive player. Sengun is good but he’s no Mobley and probably never will be. But Mobley will probably develop at least a good midrange and post game while being a perennial DPY guy.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Neither of those are very rangy yet.

Eason and Bari will be different players when everything is said and done.

Nook likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

I mean rangy on defense - both can get down and defend perimeter players when needed. They will get better at it with time too.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

The Evan Mobley vs. Jalen Green ..... Sengun.... etc. debate has gone on a long time.

All I can say is that Evan Mobley's defensive impact is being severely underestimated.

Defensive Win Shares isn't perfect as a measure, but it is a good measure - and Evan Mobley at 19-20 years old leads the NBA in defensive win shares.

He will be first or second team all defense this year most likely.

joshuaao and daywalker02 like this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Cool so a Rudy Golbert type player. Not something I want when doing a rebuild from scratch.

Mobley gets 75% of his offense from dimes. Now imagine 75% of his offense being set up by KPJ and Nix rather than Garland and Mitchell.

Ya case closed.:D

It obviously isn't but I'm happy so far with our number two selection and doubt the org will doubt it 4 years down the line.

Nook likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Mobley is good, but he is no Sengun :cool:. Mobley is a better defender, Sengun is a much better playmaker.

upload_2023-3-9_14-16-18.png

upload_2023-3-9_14-16-31.png

16. fchowd0311

Sengun having a higher scoring efficiency than Mobley who gets the vast majority of his fgs from assists when Sengun self created most of his makes is a bad indictment on Mobley.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Honestly I think most bigs are not players that GM's in the modern NBA really want to start a rebuild with. Its a big reason why Cade and Jalen went 1 & 2. In the end, they all know running a modern NBA P&R read and react formula will ultimately hinge on your ability to have an attacking guard who can:

-Get to the rim by getting past his man, and the P&R defense
    -Finish at the rim
    -draw fouls & not fall down on non-calls
    -Make the pass to open 3's after they break down the defense
    -Make the lob pass to the rolling rim-running big
    -Shoot and make 3's at a 35% or higher clip so you have to be guarded

Bigs (even freaking good ones) all hinge on that perimeter attacking guard existing on your team in order for your team to run an NBA offense. Same with 3 and D wings. Same with spot up PF 3 point shooters.

Wemby is a freak, and could be the exception, but honestly if he has any question marks about not being that level of Dirk, Giannis, Hakeem level of special, It wouldn't shock me one bit if in May we start hearing rumblings about Scoot going #1. I don't watch enough Scoot to know if he checks all these boxes potentially, but if he does it wouldn't shock me one bit if he passes up Wemby.

Even though Mobley is more popular than Jalen with NBA bloggers, commentators, etc. I still think most GM's who are truly rebuilding would STILL take a chance on Jalen over Mobley. Then still take Jalen over Sengun too even though Sengun has some potential to be a very unique player you can facilitate an offense though... However I question NBA GM and coaches' fortitude to try it.

I'm not a giant Jalen Green fan by any stretch, but let's be honest.... in the modern NBA, GM's and coaches are going to see what he brings and believe they have a better chance with him than Mobley, Jabari, Sengun, and maybe others.... unless they already have an elite attacking guard on their roster of course.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

No, not a Rudy Gobert type player because he can stay on the floor in any match up. He isn't as dominant a shot blocker as Gobert, but he is a lot better at switching and can cover the perimeter.

Mobley is an elite defender right now.

As for Mobley on offense, he scores 16 or so points a game and shoots like 55% from the floor. He doesn't shoot 3's as well as he is capable of, but that isn't what the Cavs want from him. They have Mitchell and Garland that dominates their offense, shooting on nearly 60% of the teams possessions. There are not going to be many times where Mobley is going to be able to put the ball on the floor and create or score, almost all of his offensive attempts are going to be off pass offs from the guards.

Mobley has flaws offensively, his three point shot needs to improve, he needs to do better going left - but he is also sacrificing his offense to fit into the system the CAVS run, and Mobley is focusing on defense, where the CAVS are the #1 defensive team in the NBA.

As for Green, he still had the potential to become a Donovan Mitchell type scorer for the Rockets and those types of players are very valuable. He has improved going to the line this year, and that bodes very well down the line for becoming an elite scorer. He is also a smart player, so I expect overall skill improvement once he is actually coached and surrounded by real NBA players.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Sengun is a far more skilled and productive player than Mobley.

However, the fact that Mobley gets his points off assists doesn't really mean anything because of how the Cavs play. Their backcourt takes 60% of all the shots. The backcourt usage is enormous, and the only way that Mobley is going to get shots is off pass offs from the guards.

If there is an indictment on Mobley offensively, it is that he has not developed his three-point shot, which would help the CAVS a great amount, because Mitchell and Garland could have more room in the paint.

20. fchowd0311

It's not just that Mobley doesn't get opportunities. Yes his 75% assist rate in makes is partially due to having really talented self creating guards on his team but the indictment is his scoring efficiency with that assisted rate. I would expect a big of his size and athleticism to be well above 60% ts if most of his offense is from assists. Like I expect Clint Capella ts% which is around 64% during the prime Harden years.