1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What would be your QB plan recommendation?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jayded, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Meh.

Meniscus injuries are about to become a thing of the past. You can cut the injured meniscus out which typically was worrisome for long term knee health (I've had this done), or you can suture it up and let it heal (much longer recovery due to minimal bloodflow, but many athletes have this done).

But what is crucial is that there is an artificial cartilage material being developed that is said to be stronger than our natural cartilage. The theory is that if this comes to fruition, meniscal injuries would benefit greatly.

I'm a know-nothing, but my thought is that this becomes a pretty minimal procedure in a few years. Would just need time for the fake stuff to heal into place - otherwise, it's a plug and play.

Hell, you could probably play through it, to an extent, and get it taken care of in the off-season.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I mean the same reasoning that is used for Bryce Young can be used for Richardson that he "faced NFL caliber players in the SEC" except that Richardson is built like a brick shthouse to take the abuse. He needs some coaching up for sure, but most every analyst tends to agree that his shortcomings are mainly because of mechanical issues.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Is this from 2021?

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I would not hate this if Bryce Young is taken at pick 1 and they aren't crazy about any other QBs

5. raining threes

I'm for this and either drafting Hooker at 2-32 or Bennett, O'Connell later in the draft.

6. raining threes

I wouldn't hate this even if Young is there at 1-2.

Derek Brown, 1-9, 2-40, 2024 1st.

Draft Wilson or Van Ness at 1-9 and Nolan Smith at 1-12. Automatically the defensive front would be better and if you drafted Campbell at 2-32 you would have a young fast badass defense.

These are the kinds of fast intense dawgs Ryans wants for his defense.

Draft the best C available at 2-40 then look at filling in the TE/RB/WR positions in the 3rd/4th rds.

I'm liking Achane/LaPorta/Mingo or Mims in these positions.

Sign Jimmy G/Ward/Brunskil and Edmunds in FA and lets roll.

I would also draft Bennett with one of the 6ths, maybe even trade into the 5th for him. Dude would make a great backup QB. Then you would have three 2024 1sts to go get one of the top QB's in the 2024 draft.

This is doing what's best for the future vs immediate gratification of picking a QB at 1-2.

#146 raining threes, Mar 8, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    Marshall Bryant likes this.
  7. SuraGotMadHops

I'm not going to pretend to know how to scout NFL QB talent, but I follow enough to know this isn't once of those Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck type no brainer #1 pick QB drafts. Every one of these prospects has fleas, Young - small size, Richardson - unpolished, Stroud - seems dumb between the ears, Levis - meh.

Sign a stable guy like Jimmy G, draft whatever QB you like the best that's available at #2, or even trade down to get him if possible like some have suggested, and get to work.

TexasRedd and raining threes like this.
  8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The biggest difference is their turnover ratio. I don't see how anyone puts Richardson in the same ballpark as guys like that.

Bryce Young 32/5
    CJ Stroud 41/6
    Richardson 19/9

Boii, houstonstime and red5rocket like this.
  9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm not that big on Jimmy G. He has a history of injuries.

Sep 23, 2018 NFL Knee ACL Tear Grade 3 Garoppolo tore his left ACL late in Week 3 and missed the rest of the season.

Sep 20, 2020 NFL Pedal Ankle (high) Sprain Grade 3 Garoppolo picked up a high right ankle sprain during the Week 2 win against the Jets. He missed two games

Nov 1, 2020 NFL Pedal Ankle (high) Sprain Grade 3 Garoppolo suffered an ankle injury during Week 8's contest at Seattle. He missed the rest of the season.

Oct 3, 2021 NFL Leg Calf Strain Garoppolo sustained a calf injury during Week 4's contest against the Seahawks. He missed one game.

Dec 23, 2021 NFL Hand Thumb Fracture Garoppolo sustained a fracture in his right thumb during Week 16's loss at Tennessee.

Dec 23, 2021 NFL Hand Thumb Torn Ligament Garoppolo sustained a UCL tear in his right thumb during Week 16's loss at Tennessee. He played the 49ers' final four games (including the playoffs) with a torn thumb ligament

Jan 16, 2022 NFL Shoulder Garoppolo suffered a shoulder sprain in the wild-card win over the Cowboys

Dec 4, 2022 NFL Pedal Foot Fracture Jimmy G was carted off in the 1st quarter. He's out for the regular season with a broken foot.

raining threes likes this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You're right Im not saying anything that would insinuate that Richardson is a better passer than those guys. I'd say the biggest difference is that you can run Richardson without worry and employ on offense that is built around that very unique aspect. Im not expecting Richardson to stand tall in the pocket and make 40 throws per game.

11. raining threes

He's the stop gap.

My plan would be to sign Jimmy G to a 3 year deal

Draft Bennett or O'Connell

Then draft a QB in 2024

My QB room in 2024 would look like this

Jimmy G/2024 draft pick/Bennett or O'Connell.

deb4rockets likes this.
  12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I still think Stroud would be better, because I think he has more potential as a franchise QB. Also, I'd draft Tune before O'Connell. .

red5rocket likes this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

In my opinion, Garoppolo would indicate a commitment to acquiring additional 2024 1st round draft choices to acquire Caleb Williams or May. Both are better options for the Franchise QB and another year building a foundation around on of these for early success.

But what do I know? All I've been is a fan since before the first Superbowl was played. It's not like I'm a wet behind the ears radio personality with a know it all attitude.

Full disclosure. I haven't watched a game since they decided to become political propagandists rather than entertainment.

#153 Marshall Bryant, Mar 8, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    raining threes likes this.
  14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Not necessarily. Could also mean drafting Anthony Richardson since most believe he won’t be ready Year 1.

jch1911 and raining threes like this.
  15. raining threes

Unless a QB is a generational guy, then I'm not putting myself in a position where I have to deal with his agent. Stroud isn't a generational guy. IMHO and I bet Cal thinks the same way. If he doesn't then he deserves whatever happens to him.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I don't know anything about agents, but I would guess any of these rookies would try and get as much as they could if they became top 10 quarterbacks by their first 3 years. Who knows how he will do. It's just a guess really. There have been plenty of highly sought first round quarterbacks who ended up not being top 10. There have also been lower round dark horses who have become great.