1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Victor Wembanyama tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lunareste, Oct 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

How many times has the worst team in the league been forced to pick outside the top 5?

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If the drop off from 4-5 is huge, why would we increase our odds to get a pick worse than 4 by winning more games?

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think the dropoff from 4-5 is consequential in this draft. The top 2 are as close to surefire stars as you're going find, then like 3 through 9 or so are all dudes with potential but big questions. I don't really care where we land in the draft if it's not #1 or #2, personally. Guys like Miller (who I would also totally understand not taking due to off the court stuff) and Amen are interesting prospects but I'm not going to bet the farm on any of the guys in that range becoming all-stars.

rpr52121 and SamFisher like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

Good thing he'll get wide open looks in the no defense NBA

JusBleezy and Dredd like this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This. Nobody outside 1 or 2 is going to help next year

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

I will admit, was watching a lot of video of Jarace Walker last night and liked what I saw. Not anywhere near the level of the top 2 and not going to transform the franchise, but I think he'd be the best consolation prize

groovemachine likes this.
  8. i3artow i3aller

9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately this is also incorrect. If you have a large enough sample size, say 100 or even 50 drafts with those odds, then yes 1/7 of those should have the worst team get the No. 1 pick.

However, there is no reason why that should occur in a sample size of 7 drafts or say even 25 drafts.

MorningZippo, Yung-T and cmlmel77 like this.
  10. jayfree

jayfree Member

I have a feeling Sengun and Green may come down with a season ending cold soon

11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Just because the worst record hasn't won the lottery yet doesn't mean lowering your odds is a good idea.

Yung-T and jayfree like this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this is why winning both SA games was dumb AF. them and DET may not win another game rest of the season, pushing us from guaranteed top 5 pick to top 7

13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Jarace can fit right into the rotation and help next year, he’s NBA ready … plays defense, moves the rock, is a tripe threat offensively, plays winning basketball. If we fall to 3 or lower he’s the guy imo.

OremLK likes this.
  14. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Duplicate post

15. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

What should we have done, told the players not to try? SA ran out a bunch of g leaguers on 10 days

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

they sat out half their lineup both nites. even Clutch tweeted that we needed to counter that

Yung-T likes this.
  17. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Nah, we are naturally bad enough not to use those tactics, that was a trash move by SA imo. As long as we are bottom 3 I’m good.

OremLK likes this.
  18. OremLK

OremLK Member

We would also have to win another game since the Spurs are still behind us in the standings. Realistically though, neither us, Detroit, nor San Antonio are likely to go on a what, 16, 17 game losing streak? That's very rare in the NBA. For the Pistons, it would give them one of the top 5 longest losing streaks in league history, for the Spurs it would put them in the top 20 I believe.

I don't think it really matters that much though. The only surefire transformational talents are the top 2, like we discussed. Anywhere from 3-7 we'd still be getting a really good prospect but not anywhere near the level of Wemby or Scoot. I do have my personal favorite among that group (Walker) but I won't pretend it's extremely obvious and clear that he's better than guys like Miller, Whitmore, the Thompson twins, etc.

Realistically the main effect of dropping to third "worst" in the tanking "competition" is it moves our highest pick odds from #5 to #6. Doesn't change our chances at the top 2 and the odds of ending up at #7 are low. I think there's probably still a pretty interesting prospect (or more than one) available at #6 in this class so I'm not too worried about it.

We could possibly also trade other assets to move up a slot or two if there's a guy the front office is really sold on outside the top 2.

TL;DR don't worry too much about it, we have bottom 3 basically locked up at this point.

pippendagimp likes this.
  19. invocux

invocux Member

Yeah he's not coming to Houston and i'm not really bothered by it. It's hard to swallow pills for unicorn gang but he'll spend more time in hospital beds than in basketball court. We need Amen or Scoot.

20. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

We're not getting him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.