1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN pushing racism & division

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JW86, Mar 7, 2023.

1. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

There you have it MVP should be determined by one game. Embiid is MVP. Forget about what the guy did all season. One game decides it. Not like Jokic hasn’t been playing balls out for the whole season

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Did I say MVP should’ve been decided after 1 game? No.

read

3. foh

foh Member

NBA had independent auditor investigations and the media/espn seemed to have waited for results to come out before saying anything.

Players are not media/espn. BLM movements of various sorts are also NOT media/espn.

Skip Bayless is from FOX and doesn't work for ESPN in case if you are referring to his accusing NFL of racism.

Perkins is pretty dumb and is not even trying to hide it (by saying in his tweets that he doesn't care for advanced stats). Playing/being dumb, he doesn't really represent media/espn and anyone who is not sensitive on the subject will just ignore him instead of being a "Karen."

You haven't established a pattern for any sort of conspiracy talk - you seem to be doing what you've accused media of doing by posting a clickbait thread...

4. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

You implied it or you wouldn’t have mentioned the game against Embiid.

5. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Learn the definition of racism before trying to use it idiot. To be racist you have to be in a position of power exercising it AGAINST a person or group of ppl. Show me where Kendrick Perkins or Stephen A did this?

6. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I actually think Jokic is a well-deserved two time MVP.

That said, I do not think he is better than a prime Harden and his career has done nothing to this point to convince me otherwise. Harden led his teams deeper into the playoffs (well, technically to the same depth in the playoffs)

The difference in the media treatment of them is night and day, though.

mario_v and Nook like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

no, I didn’t

u came to some nonsensical conclusion in your hasty attempt to try some sort of gotcha moment

8. Nook

Nook Member

Sigh Perk..... this is how you handle this.

"JJ, who are you to lecture me on race? Stay in your lane and stick to paying your girlfriends for abortions because you don't want to have black babies calling you daddy."

That is FAR more effective than just screaming.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Let's face it, Perkins was a scrub on the court and he's a moron off the court. It's pretty obvious that by his comments, when he sees players, he only sees their race....and that's something he should probably talk with a therapist about.

The MVP's won by HOFers Nash and Dirk were because they were the best players in the league at the time...and the MVP's won by Jokic were the same.....just like the MVP's won by Magic Johnson when he wasn't a top 10 scorer.

I think it's a good thing that JJ called out this racist moron pushing a false narrative no matter what I think of him personally.

If we want to talk about MVP's that were not deserved, we should talk about Rose and Westbrook, not the absolute crime that they've allowed 3 white guys in 30+ years to win.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Jokic is the best passing center of all time - better than even Walton and Ard Sabonis.

Having said that, if Harden was about to win a third straight NBA MVP without getting out of the second round during his MVP streak, the level of scrutiny would be insane, and Jokic has largely avoided that.

Jokic's offensive efficiency is insane this year....... 67% on 2's, 41% on 3's....... 82% on free throws and nearly a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio.

I know that a lot of the advanced numbers claim that Jokic is a really good defensive player, but he really isn't in some match ups. He has made himself playable, but he doesn't block shots, he doesn't move well enough to get out on the perimeter and he can be flat footed on switches too. The Nuggets added elite defensive wings to cover some of this, and the defensive issues also are there with Murray as well.... so it isn't all on Jokic - but it is something that exists.

The Nuggets are first in the West right now and I have them or the Suns going to the Finals and beating Boston, or losing to Milwaukee or Philadelphia - so lets wait and see........ but Jokic has so far faced very little criticism.

Deuce and AleksandarN like this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Wow! I was just about make the same assessment. Based upon the same criteria, Harden should've been MVP 2 or 3 times.

I do think Perkins made a valid point and I think the narrative is to push for a White Player to win MVP because most of the PAYING fans are white. However, I do think the league needs balance. For example, If Giannas won it every year or LeBron during his peak or Kobe during his peak, I dont think anyone would blink and eye. So, you have to have balance.

When Harden loss the MVP to Westbrook, the narrative was Westbrook was doing it by himself, he had no help. When Harden loss the MVP to Curry, it was Curry had the better team.....that shows, there is no criteria, just a narrative.

Denver had the best record the first yr Jokic won it, last yr it should've been Embiid, this yr it should be Embiid.

Roomba likes this.
  12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think Perkins had a valid point. However, anytime someone is talking about race you're never going to have 100% of the public agree with one side or the other.

I think his main point is there is NO SET CRITERIA for electing the MVP. Not so much the race of a player but for example, when Nash and Dirk won it they were neither the top score in the league nor did their team have the best record, so what is the criteria? So the NBA writers who are majority white, elected Nash and Dirk.

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Jokic is a better offensive player then harden was, he’s probably the best offensive player ever. Better then nash, jordan, steph, whoever. I also don’t care about the playoffs for mvp voting, it has nothing to do with it. Even if you want to argue that harden lost an mvp for that reason, doesn’t mean that mistake should be repeated

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

No the narrative was westbrick was averaging a triple double. that's the only reason why he won it, depsite Harden being better is everything else both individually and team

And no denver did not have the best record 2 years ago when Jokic won his first mvp. Denver was 47-25, tied for 5th best record.

Nook likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think he was saying something that would appeal to people that have the same biases that he does....not that anything he said was valid in any way.

Nash and Dirk are 2 of the greatest players in the history of the league....and they had seasons where they were the best player in the league.

Now do the voters sometimes get it wrong? Sure, I pointed out Rose and Westbrook as two obvious examples, but to claim racism is why 3 white players in 30+ years won the MVP is flat out stupid.....if it was actually an issue wouldn't it be more than 3?

When it comes to criteria for the award, if that existed, you wouldn't have voters, it would just be objectively one player. The "eye test" morons....like Perkins BTW, is the reason for the subjective criteria and voting system. He's not concerned about objective standards, he's just upset that 3 white guys won in the last 30 years and his preferred candidate this season might lose out to a white guy. He really is that feeble minded.

If we had an objective system, like the guy with the most win shares gets it, guys like Hakeem, Kobe, and Magic would have never won it, Jordan would have won it 9 times Lebron and Harden would have won it 5 times each.....and you'd still have to deal with white guys occasionally winning it. Dirk would have won it twice and Jokic would still be set to win it 3 consecutive times.

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

I meant the 2nd one, first one i think i mentioned he missed too many games. Easily as in, the gap was smaller and there have been MVP's missed where the advanced metric guy doesn't actually win, punished for less team wins-ie Jordan in i believe 89 or 90 where Magic won because his team had more wins-57-not even 1st in the NBA.

AleksandarN likes this.
  17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

They're owned by Disney, so.... just follow the thread.

Disney has become the equivalent of an activist Christian group buying up sports & fiction and trying to stick bible metaphors and stoke Christian persecution complex anywhere possible, so that it's no longer escapism.

They are going to change the world by filtering all entertainment through the lens of current zeitgeist!

To address the original point of MVP racism because a white player is carrying his team... the people constantly scrutinizing race are the racists.

It's not like Gordon Hayward is out here winning MVP.

To be honest it's probably more racist that Mac MacLung won the dunk contest, if we're going to scrutinize everything with fake outrage.

Russell Westbrook won an MVP. Clearly MVP is just a hype award, end story. I rest my case.

#77 napalm06, Mar 8, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  18. Caesar

Caesar Member

Sounds like a convenient way for minorities to be racist against white people.

JW86 likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

didn't read the thread but did a search for the word "sturdy." Search came back "No results found." am disappoint

20. Nook

Nook Member

You are free to believe that Jokic is the best offensive player of all time - but I don't.

I don't really care if you don't believe the playoffs should matter for the MVP, the reality is when a player is winning major awards and lack playoff success, players get heat for it.

AleksandarN likes this.