1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would be your QB plan recommendation?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jayded, Feb 10, 2023.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It wasn't his athleticism that intrigued me the most. It was him acing the interviews and his very good play recall. Perfect indicators of a coachable player.

Fulgore likes this.
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Richardson could really be something if he can clean up his footwork. He's got mechanical issues, and if he can clean them up, he could be great.

coachbadlee likes this.
  3. SuraGotMadHops

I'd be ok with this plan, draft best QB available at #2. Bring him up steadily, he will get his shot to start when Jimmy inevitably suffers his annual season ending injury.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Zero problem with this if the contract, expectations, etc. all match up to the idea that he isn't a permanent starter here. I don't want them spending so much of the cap that they can't get better.

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Not necessarily. It could mean that a QB like Richardson is in play at #2 since he will need time to develop while Jimmy G steadies the team.

raining threes, jch1911 and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't see a guy with an injury history, who will be a work in progress going high in the draft. Who would waste a top pick on so much uncertainty?

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

What's his injury history? I'm honestly not sure.

Someone will pick him top 7.

8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

They'd be stupid. Look up his injury history. I'm too lazy to do it again. I know he even hurt his knee dancing at a club....LOL. I heard them talking about all his missed games because of injuries on KILT this morning. He might be big, but he's certainly not as durable as many.

9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

From two years ago? After his athletic display at the combine?
    You can say Richardson should not be drafted at the top of the draft because he is too inaccurate and needs refinement. Fine. But his injury history? Who is the college QB without injuries? Would you pass on Joe Burrow?

Fulgore likes this.
  10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Could be right. Maybe the guys I was listening to on KILT were just blowing things out of proportion. I still don't get the high projection, just because he's athletic in build and can throw far. I would take a dark horse like Tune in a late round over using a first or second round pick on Richardson. He's a work in progress when it comes to decision making and accuracy. I mean Richardson's stats from last year aren't great.

He had a CMP% of 53.8%, 2,549 yards while Tune had a CMP% of 67.3% and 4,074 yards

Then you like ok at TD/INT and Tune blows him away with 40/10 vs 17/9.

His RTG was 131.0 vs Tune at 158.9

To me, I just don't get a projection of first round on Richardson with those kind of stats, just because he's a little bigger, can run a little faster, jump a little higher, or can throw a little farther. They have him projected at #19 and Tune at 246. I'd take the dark horse and use my top picks for other positions.

#130 deb4rockets, Mar 8, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    raining threes and houstonstime like this.
  11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Im sure if Richardson played vs AAC defenses each week he would have similar stats. Tune is a backup at best. Watched him every Saturday.

raining threes and Verbal Christ like this.
  12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm not going to homer gush on Tune, but people are definitely sleeping on him.

The dude has a ton of starts and a ton of throws (the leading correlation of success at the NFL level) and despite that his efficiency is off the chart (the second leading corollary).

He may not be a star, but I bet dude is going to make himself a nice career.

Also "level of competition" really hasn't shown to mean much for QBs. If you're a G5 QB your OL is worse and so are your receivers, so it kind of evens out.

#132 DonnyMost, Mar 8, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm not sure about that. Also, you think Richardson is gonna do better against NFL defenses?

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If we do go for Garoppolo, perhaps we should consider trading down with teams expected to be at the top of the draft board in 2024 to target Caleb (I love the name enough to name son 3 Caleb). Instead focus on building up the supporting cast and depth. I have no problem picking up a low round QB prospect/project like Tune for depth backing up Garoppolo. I've gotten as many as 5 additional prime (projected as top 10) 1st round picks to go with the two we have making. I'm sure it would be more difficult with a prime QB available, but the idea seems valid.

raining threes likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Just soft tissue stuff and basic sprains. He pulled his hammy on a 80 yard TD run in 2021 and last season he dealt with an ankle sprain and another hammy that lingered. I wouldnt consider it a red flag. He had a shoulder sprain his senior year of HS which is probably the worst injury he's dealt with thus far.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Richardson in an RPO offense would be lethal. Same as Lamar, Allen, and Hurts and to a slightly lesser extent Fields and Daniel Jones.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This sounded pretty serious although it didn’t seem to affect him this past season.

deb4rockets likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm not sure about that. His TD to INT ratio isn't good. I still think it's risky to pick him high in the draft hoping he gets a lot better when facing NFL defenses.

Jackson was 27/10 his last year of college. Hurts was 32/8. Allen was only 16/6 though, so it's possible Richardson could get much better than 17/10. I also think it's just as possible Tune could get better. His 40/10 completion percentage in college can't be dismissed.

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Richardson played vs the best of the best in the SEC. I’m not saying the guy is throwing 40 tds his rookie year. He’s loaded with talent and if he’s placed in the right system he will be scary one day. But I want Bryce for the Texans.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Carolina would be ideal trade partner for that. Trade no. 2 for 7 and 2024 1st round. Probably also get another mid round pick or two. If one of the top 4 Qb’s is still available at 7 you could either take him or trade down again.