1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In DEFENSE of Alperen Sengun - Analysis on why Sengun may already be an above average defender

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Feb 7, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No it can't. Bad defense is bad defense. Lillard never made it far in the playoffs.

The whole "you can hide a guard but not a center" is a myth.

Golden State has a historically good offense. And Draymond/Klay/Durant were good defenders. And as a team, they had decent defense.

They weren't "hiding" Curry's bad defense. Their offense was just THAT good.

And we are extremely far from having to worry about that, as you say.

So we might as well let Alpi cook.

cml750 likes this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Green Is bad, but he also doesn't have limiting factors like Sengun. He can actually improve. Senguns physical traits are not going to change.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

funny how the only one who brings up race or skin color for Sengun are these SOF roaches

and then we’re supposed to believe that calling Silas a monkey was just a little harmless saying

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

"Worst" case, we can literally always get a shot blocker at the rim, a Walker Kessler type.

I know many of you laugh at @hakeem94, but I get what he is saying when he talks about Alpi being a "guard".

If you think of Alpi as not the last line of defense, but put someone else in that role, you get all the playmaking benefits of Alpi on offense, but he doesn't have to be that last line of defense.

[​IMG]

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Sengun is never going to be an above average defender. But people thinking he will played off the court in 3-4 years because of what he shown so far is very short sighted.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I just logged on and saw this comment. They were indeed hidding Curry. If you look back at the Rockets vs Golden State series or any other teams vs Golden State in the playoffs, they all went at Curry. Also, I remember the Warriors singling out Capella on the parameter against Curry.

And I'm not picking on Sengun or singling him out but the center is your last line of defense and if he is a poor defender, everything else falls apart and that's what is happening to the Rockets.....other teams watch film and they are all going at Sengun.

Perimeter players are so good now, that no one can stop anyone, that's why you have to have size in the middle and on the wings to deter players from driving to the basket and forcing them to take outside shots.

#266 hlmbasketball, Mar 2, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    maj21 likes this.
  7. maj21

maj21 Member

That’s a possibility. I just don’t know if he’d see the floor in some series. Enes Kanter got played out the league. People forget how good he was on offense and his rebounding, but he couldn’t guard a soul out there

majicdonjuan, Reeko and hlmbasketball like this.
  8. marky :)

marky :) Member

They have nothing else left other than throwing out racism. It's actually kind of sad.

majicdonjuan and Reeko like this.
  9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

The offensive rating of the 2014-2018 GSW teams compared to the offensive rating of teams this season, would currently rank: 24-25th, 14-15th, 9th-10th, 21-22nd, 9th. Heck even this year, their offensive rating is better than 3 of those seasons.

The issue is that offense around the league is just that good now, especially if your team can shoot. And the Rockets are the absolute worst shooting team in the league, especially when you look at wide open/open 2pts and 3pts.

All 5 guys have to be a threat to score or contribute on offense in some fashion. Defense is all about scheme, buy in/effort, and team defense. Yes, individual athletic plays can make those things easier, but that is not the foundation for defensive success anymore. You could have prime Hakeem down in the paint and it would not matter in today's NBA without the other aspects in place.

#269 rpr52121, Mar 2, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    Easy likes this.
  10. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Lol that avy

11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I forgot about Kanter but you're correct.

majicdonjuan and maj21 like this.
  12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I don't get what limiting factors is. Alpi isn't the best switch defender he occasionally makes some plays and gets burned on others. But he gets benched for Garuba or even Jabari. And the other team runs the same thing. I dont see Jabari or Garuba shutting down the other teams guards either. So what are we even saying. Just cuz it looks like Jabari is playing better defense doesn't mean the results are any better. He gets burned just as much. We gotta have a better scheme.

The bigger issue is if Silas isn't gonna make him the focal point of the offense. Might as well have him on the bench. Cuz everything he is good at we aren't even utilizing.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. marky :)

marky :) Member

It's a great dunk by Ant. ;)

jerryclark likes this.
  14. maj21

maj21 Member

Y’all blamed Wood last year for being a bad defender at the 5. Rightfully so, but keep that same energy! Sengun doesn’t have the tools to get much better. He better be jokic level on offense or he’s in trouble

15. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

The center is harder to hide is a fair concern. But I don't know how you can foresee Sengun will be so bad he will be played off the court, while Green will be hidden easily. I agree the Green part, although Green is not at a level that could be hidden yet, he'll get there eventually.

Both Sengun and Green will be on a contender team because of their offensive upside, not for their elite defenses. And for both it remains to be seen where they can reach on either end.

16. maypk

maypk Member

He'll probably make more than 200 millions in next 10 years even if he doesn't improve on defense so i don't think he's in trouble.

majicdonjuan and AroundTheWorld like this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Honestly, the Rockets defense is so bad you can't really tell whose fault it is. The only way to look is to analyze each play in slo-mo and maybe you can identify where it breaks down. Even if I had the time to do that kind of thing, I suspect that I would find different culprits in every play.

18. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

sorry im not a black player fan. All I see is elite rim protection

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

not sure if you will ever reach an above average nba insight, but right now theres still a lot to go

20. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm certainly not going to try to tell anyone that Sengun is great on defense at this point in his career but I think it's really premature to say that it's impossible for him to reach the level of "can stay on the court in the playoffs." It's just way way too early to make that call already. If he still looks like this in two years then we've got a problem.

Easy, slothy420, JayGoogle and 4 others like this.