1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

He is young and has a lot riding right now. Not excusing it but you could see that kind of pressure leading to making a bad decision in the moment.

raining threes and cbass like this.
  2. cbass

cbass Member

This.

When I was his age, I did dumb sh*t all the time. It was only through dumb luck that my stupid decisions didn’t result in any injury to myself or others. I was a habitual idiot. If I had been in his position, with millions of dollars to lose months before the draft, I might’ve freaked out too.

Posters here are very quick to judge and condemn a kid who made a mistake (or several mistakes). People grow and change.

I hope he falls to 12 now and I’d be all over him at that spot, if I was the Texans.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Right, but this is the mother of all bad outcomes. Two people are dead for a situation that he was involved in. He was pissy drunk and fled the scene after street racing. Chalking it up as a youth issue is easy enough. Will it get better when he's a millionaire? All you can do is hope so. I'd much rather not take that gamble and go a different direction personally and I've been a guy supremely high on the kid because I think he could single handedly fix the biggest issue on the team with our run defense. If you believe the statistics the FBI states that the average drunk driver has driven intoxicated 80 times before being caught which probably isnt as applicable to Carter due to age, but the stats on repeat offenders doesnt paint a rosy picture either.

I hope the kid learns and moves on from this and contributes to society as a model citizen. Im not saying he has no chance at redemption only that I wouldnt want to be the team paying him and having to babysit him when he's not at the facility.

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The cops at the scene said he showed no signs of being intoxicated and he has not been charged with that. Leaving the scene does point to something fishy, but there are ways teams can investigate college kids off campus behavior. I would think the Texans have Carter and Anderson rated pretty closely and if they go defense at 2 they will take Anderson over Carter just to be safe.

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Agreed, although if a young man is months away from landing a life changing job and wealth, then you would think he would be on his best behavior. It suggests to me that he struggles with impulse control and decision-making. Not ideal. But yes, I'd scoop him at 12 just due to talent alone. Hoping he matures and gets smarter.

At #2 I think we have to go Will Anderson because of the vital need for a pass rush and the higher positional value attributable to an edge rusher.

raining threes and whag00 like this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So he left the scene and came back an hour and half later when his conscious got the best of him? Anderson would be a great addition to this defense who has the benefit of the doubt moving forward for sure.

El_Conquistador likes this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’m not saying he wasn’t drunk, but you don’t normally sober up an hour and half later. He might have thought it over or someone convinced him that leaving the scene would get him in even more deeply. I doubt if he was drunk he would go back, but I’m no expert.

8. cbass

cbass Member

Yeah I just think Anderson is going first overall now. Don’t think he’ll be there for the Texans.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Who really knows - either way leaving the scene where two presumably close people to you died isnt a great look for anyone. I think it is known that the female driver of the other car WAS legally intoxicated so I guess my experience leads me to believe that they all were, but thats just the cynic in me.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#3492 zeeshan2, Mar 2, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    Fulgore likes this.
  13. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I did some dumb stuff back in the day as well, but by the grace of god I never got pinched.

This dude might be Pac Man Jones or he might be Garett Bolles. Just depends if he sees the big picture or not.

raining threes likes this.
  14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Definitely need another safety next to Pitre

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/dr...ns-potential-risers-buzz-40-yard-dash-burners

raining threes, Rudyc281 and J.R. like this.
  17. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

He has shrunk, he’s like 4 foot 2 now.

The guy next to him used to be 6 foot 6 and he’s now 4 foot 9

raining threes, J.R. and gucci888 like this.
  18. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Naw, there's a lot more criticisms than that. He doesn't play near to his size. He low points the ball too often, and doesn't often show the athletic ability that his numbers say he should. (this isn't just me talking, Steve Smith and others have echoed this: )

I think he'll be an average WR, he reminds me of a slower Kevin White. He'll probably run in the low 4.5's (which is good), but he doesn't play that fast to me, or that athletic. His route running is average at best as well. To me his numbers look much better than the actual tape does. He doesn't cause the safety to cheat, or even sneak out of the box. And when you couple in the fact that his tape isn't that "EXPLOSIVE" #1 caliber WR you want, its a hard pass for me. I wouldn't even consider him in the 2nd round. (This is me talking)

A guy like Jalin Hyatt (extreme speed) or Addison (polished route runner, running the entire route tree) would have a better chance at success in my opinion.

#3498 primtim24, Mar 2, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    Sooty likes this.
  19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Would you all be mad at them picking Anthony Richardson at #2? I wouldn't be. If they do it they're doing it for a reason. Maybe they're thinking they can coach him up.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Stop. There's nothing you can do for Bryce. He is just too little and that's that.