1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In DEFENSE of Alperen Sengun - Analysis on why Sengun may already be an above average defender

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

It's actually surprising they didn't make one for themselves months ago considering how abhorrent they find pretty much everything else to do with the Rockets.

Verbal Christ and Reeko like this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

I
    hahaha, reminds me of yaomingmania.com or .net, I forget.

That was a site the YOF's had back in the day that clutch eventually banned from linking to because the YOF's were more annoying.

Verbal Christ and harold bingo like this.
  3. marky :)

marky :) Member

Agreed. It's sig worthy.

[​IMG]

4. maypk

maypk Member

Can you make one for KPJ so we don't have to read your embarrassing posts about his greatness?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

every time he’s invisible on the court, it’s somebody else’s fault

all his bad sequences on defense are because of everyone else

every time he passes up or hesitates on a wide open jumper, it’s somebody else’s fault, then proceed to cry and complain that he doesn’t have many shot attempts…sorry, you’re not gonna average 15 baby hooks a game

40 second mark…hesitates as usual

Let his superfans tell it, he’s forbidden from taking a jumper, so why didn’t Silas pull him after taking one?

6. Risingred

Risingred Member

Alp's defense in the Nuggets' game was atrocious, but he did bounce back in the Grizzles' game. I don't think Sengun will be developed into an elite defender, it'd be better to pair him with a rim protector. I don't understand why Silas put him in the low drop and never try something else, is like setting him up for failures. I know Silas said he wants the center to be the focal point of the defense, but it doesn't work with the personnel the team currently have.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Aw shux! Hey I can admit I was wrong about my expectations, and since you asked there is a space there for that too! LOL

https://www.reddit.com/r/KPJ/

Thanks for playing.

[​IMG]

Os Trigonum and Dobbizzle like this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

I don't really get it - "low drop" appears to be a concession to Sengun insofar as he is visibly uncomfortable trying to guard perimeter players in space, and at least by dropping back he can have a chance at a block or a rebound or something . We tried switching most of last year, IIRC.

During the Sixers game he got caught out covering Harden - not only did it not go well, but Sengun complained to Silas about it. There was one episode in the third quarter, it was the right corner, Harden drained a 3, Sengun instead yells at the bench that he should not be asked to be out there in that type of coverage.

Yesterday in the rocketswatch chat somebody was crtiticzing drop coverage as a disaster etc, nobody should ever run it blah blah blah- the remedy suggested was...bench Sengun when hes getting torched by Damian. OK. Sure, but that doesn't solve the problem either! NBA teams run high screens on nearly every play!

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yao impacted winning way more than Alpie does.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  10. maypk

maypk Member

So you ask SOFs to leave cf and start posting their "unrealistic expectations" on Sengun subreddit but at the same time you keep posting your hilarious kpj takes on cf while there's a subreddit for that.

Nice one bud.

hakeem94 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Sengun will not finish his career being known as a good defender, i honestly don't see it. he could b a serviceable defender eventually but he's gonna get abused by guards. Maybe when harden comes back, he will teach sengun to avoid being picked on

13. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Of course. How can you think that he is capable of making a mistake? He couldn't do it even if he wanted to.

That sounds like a kpj stan argument except it is partially true. The schemes are bad, and the perimeter defense is bad. And after the comments from Silas, my expectations from Sengun is literally nothing. One can say stuff like 'sengun should not be a baby and just keep playing strong' but I think he has taken a lot of emotional toll and I am actually surprised he held on so well up to this point.

The hesitation midranger is disgusting. He should take them or not take them, but not hesitate like that. Personally, I don't complain why he doesn't get 15 baby hooks a game, I complain about the way he is (not) involved in the offensive schemes. And seeing how much time is devoted to KPJ and how bad Jabari is shooting, I don't see a problem with Sengun taking 5 extra shots that are out of 6 ft of the basket and miss them all.

The same talk was going for the 3pt and then Silas explicitly talked about it. It is certainly not a 'he is forbidden from taking a jumper' but something weird is going on there. The hesitation is bad and not normal. I wish the reporters would ask this to sengun.

Sengun was better defensively in the first half of the season and lately he's gotten way worse. You have stretches where he is average/above average and stretches where he is below average/bad defender. But he has time and it is way too early to decide on he is a bad defender (similar to declaring him a franchise player being too early.). He is the best prospect rockets have right now along with Green and they should get most of the freedom, development opportunities. Arguments like he will be hunted in the playoffs can be made for green as well, if you assume he won't improve.

14. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

I didn't realize how deep rooted the level of Segunacy was on the GARM until recently.

This dude is legitimately just embedding his own inane ramblings on twitter over and over. Psychotic stuff.

jordnnnn, marky :), Reeko and 2 others like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Oh darn you got me! Im spamming the GARM every single day with KPJ propaganda!! Which one of these hurt your feelings?

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/search/90657948/?q=kpj&o=relevance&c[user][0]=38786

Im sorry I know how insecure and sensitive you SOFs are. Just ignore me! It will make your experience here much more enjoyable and fulfilling!

edit: Who asked anyone to leave by the way? Its a safe space for SOFs that maybe they didnt know about? You SOFs always gotta be so extra! :D:D:D

Dobbizzle and maj21 like this.
  16. maj21

maj21 Member

Franchise player? The dude isn’t even a playoff rotational player lol

Verbal Christ likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to say with that 1st part. Are u saying that Sengun couldn’t make a mistake if he wanted to because he never gets the ball? He had it enough to get 5 assists and 4 turnovers last night.

What is the solution aside from just surrounding him with elite defenders at every other position to make up for his defensive deficiencies? Struggles in drop coverage, and Lord have mercy if u put him in a switching scheme. Everybody on the opposing team would eat because he’d be easy food out on the perimeter. So what’s the solution? There’s a reason most bad defensive C’s get their minutes slashed come playoff time. Them getting targeted relentlessly is often too tough to overcome.

Green’s defense could get hunted in the playoffs for sure, but it is much easier to hide a bad guard defender than it is to hide a bad defensive big man.

maybe he’s simply not comfortable taking jumpers

Dobbizzle likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

the difference is that only SOFs have worn out their welcome on clutchfans ;)

Dobbizzle and Reeko like this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Haters gonna hate

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

that poster is mentally ill

Dobbizzle likes this.