1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ATT Sportsnet channel (Astros)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by the shark, May 24, 2021.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

That's what I was thinking too. They went up on their prices too. Ugh. Lol.

2. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I did some research. Looks like the Bulldogs dominate yearly. They even sell a season ticket package for non students. Looks like they spent more on the football stadium than they did on town hall.
    Not a fan of the C on the helmet. Looks like the reds logo.

PS.
    The film Bernie was shot in Carthage. Going to watch with wife this weekend. Get a layout for the town.
    population 6,000. 8 BBQ stands around town. That's nice.

#102 Kemahkeith, Feb 28, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
    raining threes and The Beard like this.
  3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I have several friends that either live there now or grew up there. Was actually up that way a few weeks ago. Lot of good people there

And yes their stadium is unbelievable for a town that size. Also have a huge indoor practice facility which contributes a lot to their success

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I have Fubo and really like it

I will say though, got my bill today and the price jumped up $35 so I’m gonna have to call tomorrow and find out why

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Same for me. I need to call as well.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I have DirectTV streaming, switched from Xfinity a year and a half ago or so. I only kept the service because of Astros and Rockets, and it was $50 cheaper a month than cable.
    But they’ve gone up several times in price for internet through ATT and the streaming service (was ATT now DirectTV by ATT) that I’m basically paying the same as cable.
    I do have the fastest fiber optic that offer which is good, but I don’t want to pay over $200 a month for all of it when I have to go search for what I want to watch

IBTL likes this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Question to the cord cutters in Houston, what internet provider are you using? I have Comcast for cable and internet, but I would love to stop paying them for cable.

I've looked up FUBO, and when combined with internet only comcast it's not significantly cheaper than using Comcast for both, even though I have to call and barter my price down on occasion it usually hovers around 200.

IBTL likes this.
  8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

ATT Fiber. Love them.

sealclubber1016 likes this.
  9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, love fiber, but sucks on the price increases. There's always illegal streaming, haha. But that has it's drawbacks as well just in that it's inconsistent.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

We go without Fubo from the end of the World Series until Opening Day. Sad to hear they raised their price. I was thinking about getting it a few days early so I don't have to go to a sports bar for the next Spring Training game that is aired. With a price increase, I'm feeling even better about just having it during the Astros Season.

sealclubber1016 and IBTL like this.
  11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Same. They've bumped prices up over the years and it irritates me that they won't give me a better deal, but the service has been good and very few outages.

IBTL and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I feel more than a little stupid that this option somehow didn't occur to me when I factored in the cost. Eventually the Rockets will decide to field an NBA team again at some point, but I probably cost myself $1000 the last 2 years holding onto cable during the Astros offseason.

13. Major

Major Member

I would wait and see right now, because it sounds like Discovery ideally wants to be out of the RSN business by the end of March so its a little unclear what's going to happen after that if MLB takes over?

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They're going to be on all the cable/satellite/internet services they're on now, for sure. Its just a question of who's producing the broadcast and pre/post-game shows.

15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I push FUBO on to so many of my friends that Fubo should be paying me a salary. I’m utterly in love with it. But that could also be just getting out from under the $270/mo Uverse contract. Love that I can watch Fubo anywhere on anything as if it is just an instagram app.
    Then to see it ALSO has my Att sport set for Astros/Rockets?! PERFECT. But if I just lost Astros on Fubo I’m going to be pretty upset.

16. Major

Major Member

That's true for Bally's/Diamond Sports, but the WBD situation seems to be different. They basically want to give all the production equipment to the teams along with some money and just walk away - that means the channel itself would be gone. So the Astros or MLB could still produce the games, but MLB or someone would need to figure out where to show them if they actually move as quickly as they hope. At least, that's my understanding of the situation. this is from the earlier article:

Warner Bros. Discovery has told teams that it plans to exit the regional sports network business entirely within the next several weeks.

The company, which operates three AT&T SportsNet-branded channels in Denver, Houston and Pittsburgh and has a minority stake in the Root Sports channel in Seattle, has told teams that they have until March 31 to reach an agreement to take their rights back. If the RSNs can’t reach deals with the teams, the channels eventually plan to move forward with a Chapter 7 liquidation filing.

Over the past several months, league sources privately have praised WBD Sports’ RSN leadership, led by AT&T SportsNet President Patrick Crumb, for working with the teams to come up with a plan that would enable the company to get out of the RSN business.

In the letters, WBD said that it will allow the teams to use the same production staff and equipment to continue producing the games.

So if they reach agreement before March 31st, it sounds like the Astros would have their rights and the production team, but no channel. If they don't, I guess the question becomes how quickly they try to liquidate through Chap 7.

#116 Major, Mar 2, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Astros games will still be shown on Comcast, directv, etc per agreements that are independent of the RSN bankruptcy (per earlier chronicle article).

Out of all the things to figure out, that seems to be the most straightforward. My guess is the channel will be the exact same one abandoned by the RSN. The name of the network will be something generic.

18. Buck Turgidson

You're stewed, buttwad

You need a VPN plus MLB.tv

Carthage is obviously Ranger territory

19. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I have MLB extra innings to watch games. Just don't want to be blacked out. I live 3 hours north of NYC, but cant watch Astros against Mets or Yanks, because of blackouts on Extra innings. So I have listen to the Yankees Mets local broadcasts on YES or SNY.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Blackouts are a problem and will be as long as MLB/RSNs chase network dollars over direct to consumer marketing. They continue to find ways to avoid VPN based alternatives and shutting down alternative streaming while expanding exclusive deals with smaller packages to remnant cable companies like Apple TV. And you are right to worry since there are many overlapping "markets" which are blacked out. I would not be surprised at all if both Rangers and Astros were blacked out just as you experienced with Yankees and Mets.