1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

James Wiseman 2.0, another tall "super role player" bust.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Dudes do not get defensive accolades playing on bad teams, when is the last time a player made all defense on a bad team? I'm scrolling to the list and playoffs teams all. There are plenty of good defenders on bad teams though but their defense isn't going to stand out when teams are giving up points left and right.

Eh, I feel like he consistently has really good games defensively but again it never really stands out because the team defense is trash. When you watch him square up against opposing players he rarely just gets blown past and often ends in the player passing or getting a pick or a well contested shot. I really wish they would count these things. I think if Bari gets a chance to play on a team that has an organized and discipline defense he'll really shine. Time will tell.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  3. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Ceiling looking like a "freshly signed contract" Ariza rather than a "contract about to expire" Ariza.

fryjol7, RasaqBoi, BigShasta and 4 others like this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I made a point to watch him after yelling about him all day (and because watching the Rockets is so painful without any reason to do so).

His outside shooting - horrible as usual. The attempted alley oop, sad. I only saw a couple of his 2 pointers go in, i saw the hook shot. I somehow missed the other 3 he made or forgot. But whatever, 4 -10 fine. I was actually surprised he made 4 it seemed like 1 or 2.

Defense - see my post above - mostly fine. A couple of times got beat by Gordon/porter, couple of times he handled them. A few help blocks in rhe 2nd half. Fell asleep on one of his missed 3s = runout layup for KCP or something. Didn't give up the way others sometimes do.

All in all he's fine, but he's a disaster as a spot up shooter (obv) and that's his primary role/raison d'etre so it just doesn't work. Defense he's ok but nothing necessarily jumps out like he's a future elite player that's going to anchor a whole scheme.

I'm negative on Smith relative to what we thought we were getting. He's maybe a capable NBA player one day if he fixes his offense. But, right now today, looks way overdrafted.

#5544 SamFisher, Feb 28, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
    Erbnwarfare, fryjol7, Yung-T and 4 others like this.
  5. SamFisher

Jeremy Sochan is a rookie on the worst defensive team in the NBA (actually worst in history) and he's getting more buzz

Yung-T, subtomic and J Sizzle like this.
  6. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He’s actually not - it’s his personality that gives him that attention …

Bari is our only player that willing to switch into whoever it is be it 1-5 when someone gets going … I appreciate him willing to take that on.

Now when you say special what are you looking for 3 steals 5 blocks … that’s not really going to happen because of how we switch on D … he started on Porter moved to Gordon then over to Murray then back to Gordon … depending on who was on court

JayGoogle likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Let's just go through with it and at best split the games with the Spurs. I am expecting a Benny Hill like performance from both teams.

Yung-T and RasaqBoi like this.
  8. jayfree

jayfree Member

It's about longevity. Jabari is on pace to overtake Lebron in all-time points scored in the NBA in just 50 years. He can easily play until he's 69 I mean look at Haslem.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well we'll see if he gets defensive team votes then. I'll be surprised. I do think Sochan is a good defender for a rookie like Bari though and wouldn't be surprised if he makes all defensive teams. I just think the same of Bari.

Personally,, I've tuned out a lot of media talk when it comes to defense. The perception the media had of Harden being downright terrible on defense and the narrative that surrounded it has always made me kind of cautious of falling into narratives.

I just really think its silly people are ready to trade him. It just makes no GM sense to trade while his value is so low unless of course you're getting an all-star back.

Like I mentioned before, I'd probably trade any of these guys if we get Wemby for another all-star to kind of speed of the process. If we do get a top 2 pick and either Scoot or Wemby are the real deal and that's evident that it's likely they are, that's when team evaluation starts and that's when we should start looking at who fits around this guy and who doesn't, but to me that's probably after a season.

10. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Starting to get the impression his college shooting was a fluke. Draymond green shot 38% that year. Weve seen it happen before

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think he was advertised as a defensive anchor type. He's supposed to be a versatile 1-5 switchable kind. I think he still can be that if he plays on a better defensive team. And he seems to take pride in his defense, which means his effort will be there.

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

He’s officially a bust.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I agree. 8 points on 10 shots with a -33 +/- is definitely a solid performance from our top 3 pick.

The standards are already so low for this dude.

14. SamFisher

The bar of "willing to switch" is so low. Just because Sengun goes crazy and yells at the coach when he has to switch - that shouldn't be a factor lol.

Maybe it's his hair dye but people have been hyping Sochan quite a bit more than Smith lately, make of it what you will.

GotGame15 likes this.
  15. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Jabari should be happy that he was not selected with 1st pick, otherwise the media would bash him every game.

GotGame15 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  16. SamFisher

Here's just the first one that popped up:

Player: Jabari Smith

Position: PF

Height: 6'10"

Pro Comparison: Jaren Jackson Jr.

That's a defensive anchor. All D team/DPOY quality. I mean if that pro comparison said "Trevor Ariza" or "Shane Battier " that would be more along the lines of what you're saying (and probably more accurate given what we've seen).

Yung-T and Easy like this.
  17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Our summer league team was competitive and he stood out defensively. There is still hope.

18. YaosDirtyStache

Watching Jabari play brings me great sadness.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I wouldn't mind if people think like yourself and your kin but the coaching staff actually respected Sengun.

You are not among the decision makers in the Rockets.

Sengün will be alright, if he is off this team, people will come appreciate him more, especially the coach that is going to be a goner.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

@JayGoogle oh well, but Sengun has another dud as well, we should talk about that.

This season has gone to hell when a normally serviceable poster has gone over to defend Jabari over Alpe.