1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' REAL franchise player - all other threads are copycats

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I am very happy to do that. Here you go.

upload_2023-2-28_23-13-7.png

Yes, Jokic's stats are a bit better.

Keep in mind, the Nuggets started building around Jokic during his second year, and prioritized him. The Rockets under Silas have pretty much been doing the opposite.

I am trying to find the "clears him easily" part in these stats?

If anything, these are actually pretty close, and eerily similar.

And we are talking about one of the best centers of all time, multiple times league MVP in Jokic.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Member

He is a nice player, but in no way shape or form a franchise player.

Projects out to a really good bench player on a championship level team.

rocketchamp and maj21 like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

all u have to do is look at more than the basic box score stats to see who is clearly better than who, and I have already done so…it’s really not all that close

Jokic is noticeably better in pretty much everything

maj21 likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Source - your ass?

5. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Even in the off chance sengun were to end up remotely like jokic, jokic himself has accomplished jack ****. He is playing next to kcp, bruce brown, and aaron gordon and they are still a question mark on defense going into the playoffs

BigShasta likes this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think he hit a wall

Played b-ball over the summer

I bet we shut him down in about 10 games

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

As is every other team that hasn't won a championship yet.

So, everyone except the Warriors and Bucks at this point, really, considering the Lakers are a shadow of their former self.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, Jokic is the best player in the NBA by a huge margin. You could make the same argument for every other player in the NBA. Sengun isn't Jokic, and neither is anyone else.

Clyde wasn't Jordan. Robinson wasn't Hakeem. Etc... Just a useless assessment.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

I think everybody on this team would be better if we had a different coach, but better to the point where he can be labeled a bonafide franchise player?

10. maj21

maj21 Member

@AroundTheWorld is willing to go down with this Sengun ship. I applaud him for that!

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

On another note, Alpi had a bad game tonight, but his 7 assists would be almost double of Jabari's career high.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I'm just laughing at the same haters coming out after a not so good game (or stretch of games) by a 20 year old kid that is clearly the best player on the Rockets, easily.

You guys will eat crow, sooner or later. I am confident of that.

daywalker02 and hakeem94 like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes. That's basically what it took for Jokic. They built around him. And that's what the Rockets will do, if they are smart - regardless of where they will pick in the draft and whom they can get as a free agent.

14. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

They are the only team that plays like that

I dont think anyone in their right mind is wondering if a team built like the celtics can win a championship or not

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Unless a team has won one already, it remains an open question if the team as currently constructed can win one. Simple as that.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

agree to disagree

building around a smaller off-brand version of Jokic who is no threat to score outside of the paint isn’t nearly the same as building around the real thing

Rockets are praying for Wemby so that they can have an actual franchise caliber prospect to build around

17. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Uh oh. Sengun’s army will be coming in with their pitchforks after you lol

18. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

yup that was my point

19. larsv8

larsv8 Member

My source is being objective about our players.

He is a walking layup drill, will never have the size / length at center to to not be one of the worst defensive centers in the league. Offers no rim deterrence at all. Will get a few blocks because he is a clever and the sheer volume opportunities he will have. His foul proneness will cause him to be less aggressive defensively, which will push him to an even worse defensive position. Prime candidate to be targeted and played off the court in a playoff series.

He is very flashy offensively which I think fools people into thinking he is better offensively than he actually is. Good post up game, great passer, but very turnover prone.

He is a guy who could certainly come off the bench and just blitz another team's bench, without the defensive pressures of a starting unit, but probably will never be much more than that. Would make a nice trade piece though.

maj21 likes this.
  20. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

No he's clearly not. Some our best games Sengun didn't even play lol. Jalen's by FAR our franchise player and behind him is KPJ as the best player. Sengun is just a hub on offense