1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Alpi is going to be the way of Lauri I fear. Wasted by bad coaches only to blossom into a legit all-star on another team. Hopefully not the Jazz.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

bingo it's a whole lot easier to look good when you are actually going into an established team that has a hierarchy and guys can fill in those little gaps. Notice how herb jones isn't even having a good season and its much worse than last year. That's because their two best players have missed over half the season and oh look when herb isn't playing every night with those two he gets exposed.

Now look at Jabari. what identity and hierarchy is he going into. Nobody has a clue because that's something the rockets are still literally trying to find out. All different kids trying to get their own. There's not one player on this team who knows how to win at this level period.

JayGoogle likes this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We're really ignoring that again...Jabari played stellar defense on Giannis and Butler and assuming he wouldn't play better with better players around him. If Jabari had one of the best shotblockers behind his back he'd look even better defensively because his mistakes would get erased.

No he isn't playing at gleague level. Yes, that's your opinion, but wasn't the guy just picked on the rookie all-star team since you like these selections so much? If he's been that terrible it seems odd he'd get picked for that.

Again, you're acting like this is Kwame and Anthony Bennet bad when it's very simply regular rookie bad. You're waay over exaggerating.

No it's not just one game. I want you to really watch him most nights, some nights teams go out of their way to get him switched off. His defense for a rookie is good. It's being way overlooked at this point.

Believe It! likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Because he showed up a lot more.

You don't see Kwame Brown gets defended over Giannis or Manu.

The higher picks when failing to live up to expectations, they don't necessarily draw sympathies other than from you guys, those who swim the other way and try to attack windmills.

The Dons de la Mancha.

Sengün is legit, every journalist outside of Houston recognizes that, but here fans sadly attempt to devalue him and put him on the same pedestal as a rookie who can't contribute.

#5504 daywalker02, Feb 28, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I couldn't resist bro.

Kwame got a lot fewer minutes, but once you normalize for that and look at per 36 or per 100 possessions stats....damn...the FG %, TRB, AST, STL, BLK per 36 and OBPM/DBPM look nearly identical. It's almost spooky.

Brutal.

I hope it's not in the genes lol.

upload_2023-2-28_16-49-39.png

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I keep saying this but basketball is one sport where other players make others look better. That's why Harden got so many guys played, simply playing with Harden made the game a crap ton easier for anyone on his team.

If Jabari was on any of those teams no doubt he looks better. Instead he's on a team with other 19-20 year olds and a team that has no leader, no all-star player, no structure at all...and he's also a rookie.

People act like Sengun would start for most teams? KPJ? Green? None of these guys are ready yet to win. If Sengun was on a 1-8 playoff team he'd be riding the bench a lot too because the concern that he can't guard in space is a VERY real concern at the same time his offense would look a lot better since he'd be passing to players that could do more with the ball but he was a lot worse offensively his rookie year too. Sengun his rookie year would not get much time on most teams.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

welcome to the modren era which is actually very old news. Your bigs better be able to guard in drop coverage or you'll get exposed. There's no such thing as hiding that

JayGoogle likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Right, for one moment people are saying Sengun's only problem is the coach and team and structure but this excuse isn't valid for Jabari?

People have decided their narratives I guess. There's a reason young teams usually suck and its compounded with the organization being wacky and the coach seemingly not being very good at his job either.

Yet we should already be trading them? Selling them a their lowest possible value for what? To be a mediocre team for a few seasons?

highpost1388 likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Huh? People on this forum love Sengun so much here, it's Jabari and KPJ that get the most hate here...and Nix.

And Kwame Brown was terrible. It's amazing to me anyone could see those two players play and go "Yeah, Jabari is just as bad as Kwame!"

People seem to love the opinions of journalists a lot but where are the Journalists calling Jabari a bust? Maybe they too know it's far too early to write such articles???

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jabari picks his games when he contributes, 1 out of 10 or 15.

That is the sign of a rookie douche.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

sengun was/is no different. acting like sengun played well every single night. Nah

JayGoogle likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True, Kwame was and Jabari is already better but he has scrub genes.

Senior and junior both are tall and senior was the sturdier player.

His dad was a marginal player and Kwame was his cousin.

It's been decades so I can't remember exactly if Kwame ran his mouth like Jabari does now.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Kwame and Anthony Bennet got less minutes because it was clear to them how bad they were. You can read some of the stories out in Cleveland about Bennett, it became clear to them after drafting how far away he was from actually being an NBA player.

Jabari plays because he actually does have value to this team.

Since people like opinion pieces by journalists a lot...
    https://www.slamonline.com/archives...-to-rising-stars-challenge-since-kwame-brown/

This is how bad those two were. People really need to stop comparing Jabari to those two. Bari's been bad but not that bad.

14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Hard to play well every night when the coach only gives you 10 minutes some games. He's played better than Jabari in every single game this year. I was high on Jabari, really wanted him to be the pick.Estatic when we actually got him. Thought he would fit seemlessly into our team. Then the season started and he forgot how to shoot. Hope he doesn't become Markelle Fultz..

AroundTheWorld and daywalker02 like this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean sengun is no longer a rookie. It would be worse for him if he didn't actually look more comfortable on the court

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Again this shouldn't be about Sengun and Jabari but since this is the Jabari thread, tell us how you want it.

Everyone gets their criticism, it so happened that someone started to fit Alpe right into this.

Let's actually try rationalize this.

So your point is we shouldn't call him bust, and I have never called him a bust but this season was busty.

So Alpe had a series of bad or below average games that could have been the result of him being frustrated by Silas.

I sensed that earlier that there was some new friction between Alpe and Silas.

#5516 daywalker02, Feb 28, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
    SamFisher likes this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sengun as a rookie was better than Jabari as a rookie. Jabari as a rookie has been getting A LOT more opportunities than Sengun as a rookie, though.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I know that Kwame was terrible. But it's just funny how close their per 36 minute stats are. I hope/trust/pray that Jabari will turn it around and become a decent role player in the NBA. If he could shoot 40 % from 3-point land and actually play solid D, if Green could ever become as good as Anthony Edwards is now and if Alpi just continues on his current trajectory of improvement (which will make him at least a 20/10/5/1.5/1.5 player next year already, and will make him an all-star in 2-3 years), then this is a really good core, with the other pieces we have and can still add.

JayGoogle likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

neither had rookie seasons to brag about so at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

JayGoogle and roslolian like this.
  20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not ignoring it - it's just one data point , it's no more predictive than getting posterized by Damian Lillard on Sunday means he's doomed to failure.

I think it's a bit much to claim that he's "good for a rookie" without really much to go on other than Rockets fandom. Guys who are "good for a rookie" are recognized as such at some point by.. somebody, somewhere. Like Walker Kessler. That guy is good for a rookie., if not just straight up good. Jeremy Sochan has been recognized as pretty good. Jalen Williams is starting to become disruptive.

Hell Tari Eason has been recognized as a disruptive rookie defender.

Btw nobody is saying he's Anthony Bennett and out of the league in a year, just that he's nowhere remotely close to the elite talent he was supposed to be predraft.

All the redraft articles are going to have him outside of the top 10. That doesn't mean he's useless or doomed, but i think it's more likely than not that he doesn't make an "All-" team in his career, which is not the ROI we wanted with the worst record in the league in 22 and one of the predraft "Big 3" lol.

I of course could be wrong and hope to be proven so.

CircaSurvive likes this.