1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 Draft/1-3] Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 28, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Derek Stingley Jr.?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2023.
  1. YES

72.1%
  2. NO

27.9%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I understand your point, but want to stress that Mahomes is significantly more talented than Watson. It isn't like every QB who's ever played for Andy Reid has done what Mahomes has done.

2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

No I definitely understand and agree Mahomes is more talented. It was more a BOB sucks and Reid is good comment.. and that coaching matters for players to look good. Same with Saleh vs Lovie (sauce vs stingley)

Pbev99 and Shark44 like this.
  3. raining threes

I bet you're wrong.

4. raining threes

Exactly

Watson is McNabb at best.

Mahomes has a chance to be a GOAT.

Mahomes talent level is much greater than Watson's and certainly his dedication to winning and his craft is much higher. You cant win big without these traits.

vince and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. raining threes

Watson did lead the NFL in passing one year under BOB.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Y'all remember how much we hated Kareem Jackson after his first season? I don't think he even needed better scheming, he just needed to adapt to the NFL and it took a little longer than others. But he ended up being pretty good. I feel confident Stingley will be very good. Will Sauce be better? Possibly, but I don't think it will be significant over the course of their full careers (barring serious injury).

vince likes this.
  7. Qan

Qan Member

Sauce is already much better after the first year, in terms of play and health. Will Stingley be able to become top 3 CB in the league? Sauce is already there.

All said, I'll be happy if Stingley is just a "good" CB. Don't need him to be at Sauce's level. Sauce is just a missed opportunity, plenty of that all around the league.

8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Think sauce vs stingley and Bryce hall vs pierce is the what ifs of the draft. We could have had both the players the jets got

9. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

They were picked a round apart. The opportunity to pick Breece would’ve been in the teens, not low thirties

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He absolutely needed better scheming. He was a 100% press zone /cover-2 corner, and the team left him in mostly man that rookie year.

His improvement coincided with schemes more suited to his talents, where he could attack the run and float in zone not have to blanket guys down the field in space by himself.

11. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

If I am remembering correctly, jets jumped in front of texans to pick him up in the 2nd. I think the alot of people had texans projected to take hall in the 2nd round.

jch1911 and red5rocket like this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

They also took Garrett wilson who the Texans had very high interest in. Jets pretty took our guys

13. Buck Turgidson

Grrrrr

vince and raining threes like this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Yeah, it could be like Carson Wentz vs Jared Goff, Carson Wentz almost won MVP, was All Pro, in his 2nd season, and seems like he was the best QB between those two, but what happened he had an injury and never been the same. while now Goff is the better QB, the last 2-3 seasons.

raining threes likes this.
  16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

18. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Naw....ain't the market size, it's the hate for this market...Lol. We're a bonafide top 5-7 media market in the country, but you'd swear we're bottom dwellers....until we do something that makes us look bad, then we're all over the news...

See: Astros cheating, Laremy Tunsil and DeAndre Hopkins trades. These things happened YEARS AGO, and they're still talked about like it's only been weeks...

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member