1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ATT Sportsnet channel (Astros)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by the shark, May 24, 2021.

1. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Good times. Picture wasn't too bad in my mind.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So...what are the odds this results in an end to the blackout rules for streaming?

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not this year… but eventually. The RSN’s are the only reason blackout rules exist. If they all go bankrupt or get out of the sports business, the new version of whatever is left will not be subjected to those rules.

I know apple gets a bad rap around here… but people don’t realize how easy things would be with every game (from every team) at the tip of their fingers (even if you don’t have an apple device). Instantly watching the previous nights game… or skipping to a fun part of a game earlier in the season… multi-tasking between work tasks or emails with the game in a PIP screen in the bottom corner.

This is how things are consumed now anyways. It’s only a matter of time before sports is fully done this way as well.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I’m old fashioned I guess, because I’d far rather just turn my TV on to the right channel for live events. But I definitely want people to have the flexibility to watch however they want, for sure.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You can stream live events to your TV, and there are very few households that don't have some streaming device, which is no different than needing a cable box.

The bottom is gonna fall out of cable once live sports move to streaming. People are already cutting the cord en masse, and this was all that was holding it back. In the streaming world, there's zero reason for cable to exist without sports.

cmoak1982 and vince like this.
  6. mustang98

mustang98 Member

Why do you need 3 boxes? Get one, buy 3 Rokus for $29 each, download the Xfinity streaming app to the Roku and watch all of your channels on the other tvs. I have 7 tvs but only 1 cable box. Saves me a lot of money.

7. MadMax

I’m aware, and I do when I have to. I just don’t prefer it for live events.

8. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

Does this work with their on demand side too? We only have cable for the Astros but the Mrs will watch mysteries at the museum while we are doing laundry/work in the bedroom.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There will always be a TV option. People are never going to stop having awesome home theater setups and TV technology continues to evolve by leaps/bounds while the prices continue to drop.

But it wasn’t that long ago that we weren’t all walking around with basically a TV in our pocket. Now we all are. And our pocket TV’s have better resolution than any of the TVs that were around when the Rockets last won a championship, lol.

Madmanmetz and MadMax like this.
  10. Bury Me in the H

Haaaa

11. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

On topic but off topic. My wife and I are moving back to Texas this summer. A little north east Texas town called Carthage. I suspect they show Rangers games up there, but was wondering if anyone knows if they carry Astros games. I have MLB package so it wouldn't matter unless they have blackout range there.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Weekend-Rap/2023/02/26/mlb-rsns.aspx

MLB currently is negotiating with pay TV distributors in the Denver, Houston and Pittsburgh markets about carrying baseball games in those markets after Warner Bros. Discovery shuts down its AT&T SportsNet channels, sources said. Mariners games still will be available via Root Sports in Seattle since the team owns the majority of that regional sports network.

Even after the AT&T SportsNet RSNs shut down in Denver, Houston and Pittsburgh, an MLB source said that local fans in those markets still will be able to watch games on linear TV and, likely, streaming. MLB is prepared to produce pre- and post-game shows around those local games. Comcast’s Xfinity has systems in Denver, Houston and Pittsburgh, and it owns six NBC Sports-branded RSNs in markets where it is the dominant cable system. But sources said Comcast has no interest in expanding into AT&T SportsNet’s markets.

MadMax likes this.
  13. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

The Astros are blacked out in DFW, so I would imagine they are in Carthage, too.

14. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

We get both Astros and Rangers on Directv. We live just South of Tyler. Also get Rockets and Mavs.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sounds like phase one of MLB’s plan will start with these networks and not the Bally ones. The Astros are by far the most high profile team of this group so we shall see how the finances are disseminated.

MadMax likes this.
  16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Not 100% sure, but on a fall Friday night go watch the high school football team, best small town football in the nation

raining threes and MadMax like this.
  17. MadMax

Great news!

raining threes likes this.
  18. MadMax

I read that and thought the same. MLB stepping up to protect their product in these markets Is a good thing. Fingers crossed!!!

raining threes likes this.
  19. IBTL

IBTL Member

Question for anyone who can answer. Is FUBO the best non-cable TV provider bet to watch the Astros? Or is there a cheaper option ? (other than the unreliability of streaming).

panamamyers likes this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Fubo is the best/cheapest/legal streaming only option to my knowledge.

houstonstime and IBTL like this.