1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jabari hit the wall in summer league and has been like Aubrey Plaza in Legion all damn season.

[​IMG]

#5401 subtomic, Feb 27, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    astros123, apollo33 and snowconeman22 like this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

there was a tweet or some article in here before that there were whispers that teams had called and checked on jabari to try and trade for him but the rockets didn't entertain them because he's part of their future. I know the Rockets won't trade him but say if they did; what could they get back?

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

$17 and a really nice Casio watch

4. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is the Casio watch waterproof or water resistant?

AroundTheWorld and MadMax like this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Basically yeah, they are both guys you hope one day develop into positive players. They have upside but right now they are net negatives.... though Jalen Green is considerably worse right now.

6. Asian Sensation

Sounds like a bunch of excuses. What kind of plays can you run for a guy or better yet why would you run plays for a guy that can’t shoot, can’t pass, can’t dribble, can’t finish and can’t create. I don’t think a prime Stockton, Nash, CP3 or even Magic can make this guy look good.

Rockets fans have so much hope and wishful thinking. They’re in denial about their own player being a bust. Fact of the matter is he’s not the first top 3 pick to bust and certainly won’t be the last. It happens. Accept it and move on.

[​IMG]

Erbnwarfare, Outlier, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not sure if you could put a dollar value on Jabari as much as you could situational value. I think he would be sought after as part of a trade. The situation where a team has to part with a star demanding to get traded fits the bill. His value is better aligned to a package more than stand alone.

Had the Lakers offered up Ingram in a stand alone trade after his rookie year what would he have gotten them?? Maybe a late 1st and a 2nd? But put him in a package for Anthony Davis and suddenly he’s a big feature ticket item.

So yeah I do think Jabari still have relatively solid value but it’s situational at this point and tough to quantify. That’s probably a big reason why a GM like Stone would tell other GM’s that he’s technically not available. He’s likely smart enough to know that quantifying a price puts him in a disadvantage in negotiations. Quantifying the price for a player like Eric Gordon was much less problematic.

JayGoogle and Easy like this.
  8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Hey, remember when everyone claimed that Smith was struggling and not hitting shots because KPJ wasn't passing him the ball enough? Good times.

GotGame15 and J Sizzle like this.
  9. MadMax

oddly, it's both. very strange.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This post is crazy .... To suggest that Silas is giving a young developing player too many minutes? If he did cut his minutes you guys would be complaining about that - just like people have cried that Sengun hasn't gotten enough minutes while he plays 28m a night.

Not doing anything to help him out? How many open shots should Silas system generate for Jabari to miss?
    A month ago it was KPJ's fault that Jabari couldn't shoot, now it's Silas fault.

MadMax likes this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Would be lucky to get a lottery protected first at this point, less than 1 year after spending the 3rd pick on him.

Total bust

12. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Probs what it costed us to get Thomas Robinson or Hasheem Thabeet.

13. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Also why y’all keep bring up guys like Ingram? Just became they were both young and statistically somewhat comparable doesn’t mean they’ll have the same career trajectory. Ingram showed signs of being a capable creator in his rookie season. Jabari literally can’t even hit open shots and blames his teammates for his mistakes.

Jabari literally has to defy all statistical odds to turn out to be a good player. He is more likely to go the way of Adam Morrison, Joe Alexander, Bagley and all the other young high draft picks you don’t even remember.

Even when Yao was being clowned by the entire nation and labelled a bust after getting crossed by Marbury, Rocket fans saw signs of what he could become because he was fundamentally a good basketball player, just struggling to adjust at the top level, but being humble and willing to work. No one was shocked he turned out the way he did. It was always “if healthy”.

With Jabari, it’s “if he learns to basketball”.

14. MadMax

I agree with this. Jabari is missing wide open shots. Not sure about the plan to get him involved, but when he’s catching and shooting it’s generally uncontested, for the most part. When you’re the #3 pick in the draft primarily because of your shot beyond the arc, that needs to not completely suck.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This dude just needs to hit shots.

Stand in the corner, hit shots.

This dribble drive nonsense is like Howard trying to learn to post up.

MadMax and pr0wler like this.
  16. i3artow i3aller

17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

This is my biggest concern as well, though I'm not as down on Smith as you. Yet, you definitely do raise a valid point. Green started slowly, and continues to be inconsistent, but at least he flashes. I mean, Green put up 30 in his third game. The most points Smith has scored was 27 points on 20 shots, and otherwise he hasn't even touched 25 points.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. fattz

fattz Member

You have me confused with others. I think the worst thing one can do is give rewards to those who have not earned them. Nothing positive will ever happen doing this. No reward will ever be big enough and the consuming appetite just grow stronger till cycle collapses because it can no longer sustain itself. What has happened to some of our players is truly sad because the coach has given more than the player can handle to the players own detriment. Why learn or get better because tomorrow will be more of same or better. Even if I get better it really doesn’t matter anyway because tomorrow will be more of the same or better. Here is where the “culture” is coming from. Smith has go-cart skills and the keys to a formula one race car. Most any human would take the keys and never look back. The coach pitched the keys to this young man thus making the “culture” the coach’s fault. It really doesn’t matter because tomorrow will be more of the same or better.

#5419 fattz, Feb 27, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  20. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

lmao Grant blew by him like he wasn't even there.

astros123 likes this.