1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN's Jonathan Givony would cut KPJ, says Rockets locker room/culture is bad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 24, 2023.

1. Landry's Tooth

Interesting KPJ comparison...

KPJ per 36 age 22:
    20.3 points
    16.3 FGA
    2pt%: 50.1
    3pt%: 34.6
    6.0 assists
    5.8 rebounds
    1.4 steals
    3.8 turnovers

Mystery player at same age:

Per 36:

FGA: 20.2
    2pt%: 53.6
    3pt%: 32.6
    7.0 assists
    4.3 rebounds
    .9 steals
    4.2 turnovers

That offseason the player received a 5 year 158 million dollar extension fully guaranteed.

Solve the puzzle:
    Vendi Koboer

For comparison, KPJ received 4 years 82 million with only 15.8 guaranteed.

Suffice to say, his tantrums are factored into what we are paying for.

I have no problem moving on if you can cite a player with more upside to put at PG. I'd try him at SG or 6 man prior unless getting value for him in trade.

Addition by subtracting him is a subjective move...

2. Nook

Nook Member

Jabari Smith has had an objectively terrible rookie season. He is shooting 38% from the floor and 29% from 3 and only 78% from the line.

He has some positives, he has been a strong rebounder, an inconsistent defender but has shown the physically ability to be very good and he has shown the ability to finish inside, he is over 70% on shots within 3 feet. He has struggled in that 3-10 foot range area.

It is pretty clear to me that he is never going to be a franchise player as an offensive player. He lacks the instincts and handles for that.

I am still relatively high on him because he has such high value on defense and as a rebounder, shot blocker. He really only needs to score 15-18 points a game with solid efficiency to be a near max type player.

I think it all comes down to whether people have confidence his shot will come along, which I think it will.

He is also someone that will play better when he has players that can take attention off of him (Green) and there is more discipline, both offensively and defensively - which should happen in the future.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Devin Booker is a very different player.

At 22 years old he was 27/7 and had comes off back to back seasons scoring 24 and 22 points a game.

Also, yes..... addition by subtraction is always subjective.

i3artow i3aller and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  4. Landry's Tooth

Fair assessment. I think like Green the key is to show year over year improvement. As bad as Smith has been remember where Green was his first few months.

Definitely a disappointment to not show as much right away but I think better coaching could help.

Nook likes this.
  5. Landry's Tooth

I see, I have to disagree with your idea that KPJ should shoot more to score as much as Booker.

Point was he has similar production at same age. Clearly as a top pick Booker was given more playing time and shot attempts.

Like arguing hits more important than batting average just because there are more which is a factor of playing time...

DaDakota and Nook like this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

upload_2023-2-27_12-0-16.png

KPJ may or may not develop into a decent 6th man skills-wise, but it seems clear that his toxic personality is the bigger problem.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trade him for Bol Bol
    @TimDuncanDonaut

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i wanted ivey over him and so far jabari has been a disappointment by any measure

but one thing that has actually really impressed me about him has been his desire to guard the opposing team's best players. giannis, lebron, etc

harden cooked him last time in philly, but at least this kid took on the challenge

if that shot ever comes around he will be a decent player like you said

King1, SamFisher, HoustonCRT and 3 others like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

But the opposing team's best player has torched us more this season than any season before. They all set new career bests, or close to it.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm not sure if those guys getting career/season highs have been who jabari was necessarily covering though

btw lillard could have comfortably sat with 6min left in the game last night but instead went into turbo chuck mode to get up to 70 against the worst team in the league. i'm reminded of harden sitting out an entire fourth quarter against the hawks after having already racked up 60 -- and still getting hate and arrows from around the league as a stat padder smh

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Are you just doing schtick now?

Man, I've always liked you DD but, come on man...

Richie_Rich likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Not the entire time, but I thought his big ambition was to "always cover the opposing team's best player, 1-5, and make the all-defensive team".

https://www.si.com/nba/rockets/news/houston-jabari-smith-defensive-team-contributions-rookie-year

"I’ve got a lot of time to prepare, and a lot of time to get my body stronger," Smith told Taylor Rooks in an interview with Bleacher Report on Wednesday. "I’ve got a lot of time to mature and learn more about this game. By the time this season starts, I feel like I should be All-Defensive Team caliber, from day one."

Somehow Silas blames all of this on Alpi, even though almost all these guys are mostly killing us from 3-point land.

BigMaloe, Gakatron, cml750 and 2 others like this.
  13. Landry's Tooth

Yes, one of the reasons his deal is barely guaranteed.

We're already getting a discount for the baggage. You're acting like we didn't know this prior to giving him his extension.

14. Nook

Nook Member

I am not really saying Porter should shoot more, as much as I am saying he is a very different player than Booker.

I think that KPJ is miscast as a point guard, and his coaching staff hasn't put him in the position that best fits his strengths.

i3artow i3aller and Deuce like this.
  15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It makes going to Rockets games worth it. We are the Washington Generals of the league.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I get tired of the DDingleberries now and again......especially those doxxing.

I don't lie.....no one would take the bet - would have cleared out some chaffe.

LOL

DD

SamFisher likes this.
  17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

And you are so sure of this because?

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

KPJ advocates "Releasing KPJ if he's a disruption Is ridiculous! He's a valuable piece!"

Reply: "No it's not; he has no value!"

KPJ advocate: "He has LOTS of value, primarily that he can be cut for nothing!"

:confused:

Easy and DaDakota like this.
  19. Landry's Tooth

I'm not claiming same player, claiming similar end result.

Biggest difference is that Booker shot more so he scored more. The additional points were about taking more shots, not being better at scoring. Apologies for assuming you were referring to the one area of any significant difference.

Booker had never been anything on defense so there is some offset there.

I don't disagree about the role, but for what we have on the roster he was the best option.

In my opinion, signing Harden and making either KPJ or Green the 6th man is the most logical course. There is something to be said for not signing Harden due to age and ball dominance but there's nothing better really out there... I would hope a blend of him and Sengun as initators and Green, KPJ, and Smith playing off ball for catch and shoot.

Nook likes this.
  20. Landry's Tooth

Yes, expiring and nonguaranteed deals have value... this is in question now after that's all we heard about Eric Gordon for a year?