1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ATT Sportsnet channel (Astros)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by the shark, May 24, 2021.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

you say ahead, I say behind. Exclusivity and blackouts are why the customers who would buy the product are prohibited from receiving what they want. They are in a position to cut out the middleman, but are scared to step away from he network mammaries, whether broadcast or streaming.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The networks were controlling the blackouts, not MLB. Teams negotiate with the networks, not MLB.

MLB wants the teams to go with them so they can end the blackouts.

Pay attention, keep up.

IBTL and cmlmel77 like this.
  3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

You act like the teams owners aren't MLB. Perhaps there is a civil war between teams, but MLB is the team owners.

Astrofan59 and Tuckmose like this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

MLB, the league, doesn’t own the teams nor do they negotiate the local TV contracts for the team.

5. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Subscribe to a good VPN (I use StrongVPN and have successfully done so while living all over the world), then buy an MLB package and watch from “overseas” (I happen be overseas, but it worked from Texas also). Problem solved at a fair price.

IBTL likes this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I tied that, but they use my billing address to black me out even with the VPN. I don't have an overseas address.

7. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Ahh. They must have started that after I left Houston. Maybe you can find a friend to pay for it and reimburse them.

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

You are a moron.

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I just don't have money to waste on 5 different overpriced packages. So that makes me the moron.

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Just a simple question.

Has anyone actually attended a game BECAUSE it was blacked out?

11. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I did once for an Oilers game. Caveat, I was already going to Astroworld for the Halloween themed day, just added the game at noon and went after.

Astrodome likes this.
  12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've always wondered, is there anything about doing this that is illegal? Or breaks any MLB rule when you sign up for their streaming service? I might just consider doing this.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Warner Bros. Discovery has told teams that it plans to exit the regional sports network business entirely within the next several weeks.

The company, which operates three AT&T SportsNet-branded channels in Denver, Houston and Pittsburgh and has a minority stake in the Root Sports channel in Seattle, has told teams that they have until March 31 to reach an agreement to take their rights back. If the RSNs can’t reach deals with the teams, the channels eventually plan to move forward with a Chapter 7 liquidation filing.

In a statement provided to SBJ, WBD said, “AT&T SportsNet is not immune to the well-known challenges that the entire RSN industry is facing. We will continue to engage in private conversations with our partners as we seek to identify reasonable and constructive solutions.”

WBD sent letters to the leagues and teams this afternoon informing them of their plans to divest their interest in those four RSNs.

WBD has rights deals with 10 teams across those four networks: four MLB teams (Astros, Mariners, Pirates, Rockies), three NBA teams (Blazers, Jazz, Rockets) and three NHL teams (Kraken, Penguins, Golden Knights).

The moves come at a fraught time for WBD, which has been trying to get out of the RSN business for a while.

Over the past several months, league sources privately have praised WBD Sports’ RSN leadership, led by AT&T SportsNet President Patrick Crumb, for working with the teams to come up with a plan that would enable the company to get out of the RSN business.

In the letters, WBD said that it will allow the teams to use the same production staff and equipment to continue producing the games.

With WBD trying to extend its NBA package past 2024-25 -- as competitors like Amazon, Apple and NBC are emerging -- it's important for WBD to not ruffle feathers in the league office as it disentangles its interest in the RSNs.

Its RSNs hold the rights to three NBA teams -- the Blazers, Jazz and Rockets -- and it’s too early to determine how this move will affect them.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Time for the Astros to form a regional network again???

desihooper likes this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Just provide a direct to customer streaming services which cannot be blacked out. Even a cheap b*stard like myself would scrape up $150 per season to see every game. But not $200+ per month to support all the crap on cable.

HatsForBats, CKent, cmoak1982 and 4 others like this.
  16. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

So what does this actually mean? Am I not going to be able to watch Astros games if they don’t reach an agreement to take their rights back?

cmoak1982 and BigM like this.
  17. Radricky

Radricky Member

That's kind of what it seems like

18. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whatever gets them some cash to lock up the next couple of titles!! C'mon, Gallery Sports Gaming Network!!

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

no longer a legit reason for the MLB blackout rules for streaming the teams without an RSN.

20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It introduces uncertainty because the creditors may have a basis to tie the rights up in court. Breach of contract and Chapter 7 should make this easy to resolve, but nothing is done quickly and easily in court.