1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would be your QB plan recommendation?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jayded, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Qan

Qan Member

Not sure about the jumping out a window thing, but I agree on the Brissett thing. Kind of ridiculous he was even brought up as an option.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Justin Herbert, and not the guy drafted five slots of ahead of him who's been to the SB and B2B championship games, is your exception?...

I don't know where we draw the line on what constitutes a "high draft pick" - but if you look at the top 10 QBs ranked by QBR last year, six were top 10 picks (Mahomes, Allen, Tagovailoa, Goff, Jones, Burrow + Herbert was #11). Altogether, 8 of the top 11 were first round picks (Lamar sneaks in a t 32nd pick in '18).

Even if you want to use the 6th pick as the cut-off (since you referenced Herbert, who was picked 6th), Tagovailoa, Goff, Jones & Burrow (+ Herbert) were all top 6 (Allen was picked 7th, btw). Lawrence (1.1 in '21) is likely to join that top 10 in '23. And Stafford (#1 overall pick in '09) won the Super Bowl last year.

It's not easy, obviously, and guarantees nothing. But drafting a QB high - and getting it right - is the absolute best way to go about it.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Bryce Young ain't no dam Patrick Mahomes! Like the young folks say, stop with all the bottle cap!!!

4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

A) Pick Bryce Young if he's there!
    B) If another team trades into the #1 spot for
    Bryce Young, pick CJ Stroud.
    C) If Chicago picks Bryce, which is a possibility
    trade #65 for Justin Fields.

BigShasta likes this.
  5. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I will go with draft Hendon Hooker with a 3rd round pick, draft Jalen Carter with pick #2 then draft a WR with #12, and maybe sign a bridge QB, like Garappolo, and let Hendon play later in the season, Im not sure its the best plan because of the age factor, but I would investigate a bit.

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

This.. I’m tired of the “exceptions” argument.. do all top 10 drafted QBs work out? No. But the percentage of QBs taken in top half of first round working out far exceeds that of the percentage outside that draft spot.

Same with Bryce young being only small qb.. actually, when a small qb has been good enough to make the pros, they excel at a better percentage than prototype QBs.. the reason everyone is scared is because there haven’t been many that have worked out, but that’s also because there have not been many that have been drafted in the first place.

Numbers and percentages all about how you arrange them.

justtxyank and Hey Now! like this.
  7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This thread was started because OP was looking for folk's opinions. So many of you want to beat up ideas because you don't agree with your own take. There are a lot of ways to build a team and done of us have an infallible strategy. Let them speak.

I like posts that I don't always agree with because its a different person or another idea that hasn't been tossed out a thousand times. This forum used to be a lot more fun and it can be again, its up to us to make it so.

8. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

A) Pick Bryce Young at #2 if he's there.

B) Trade up for Young if the cost isn't great (3rd & 4th this year, 3rd or 4th next).

C) DO NOT pick CJ Stroud! At any slot.

D) Pick A. Richardson if he's there at #12.

E) DO NOT take a QB in the 3rd like Hooker. If we spend a day 1 or 2 pick on a QB that means we're tied to him AT LEAST 2 years (unless he absolutely blows). That would take us OUT of the QB market in next year's draft.

F) I WOULD spend a day 3 pick on a QB (I like J. Haener). THAT wouldn't stop us from spending high draft capital next year on one!
    Sign a vet to a short term contract.

Oh and don't trade for Justin Fields either.

raining threes, Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

10. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Is anybody really saying Bryce Young isn't a great QB? The only concerns I've heard are size/durability, seems like if he were just a little bit bigger he'd be a generational prospect.

raining threes likes this.
  11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

It's like a 6'6" high school center on the basketball team. He can be great in high school. But when you step up to college, and then pro's, his height is now inadequate. Speed/size changes massively as you level up. Very important point.

#71 El_Conquistador, Feb 21, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    raining threes and Wattafan like this.
  12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The new guy at 790AM made a pretty compelling case for Will Levis @ 2 yesterday. I can't repeat all the points from memory but he is being rated as the #1 QB by a lot of reputable sources and he has been running an "Shanahan Coaching Tree" offensive system for years under different coaches and different schools. A system where he has to make pre-snap reads, adjust blocking schemes and run through progressions. He could be very advanced over a typical college quarterback and make the transition to the NFL much quicker.

13. oelman44

oelman44 Member

True, but correct me if I'm wrong, but the concern isn't that his height will hinder his ability to run an NFL offense given we've seen what Brees/Wilson/Kyler others have been able to accomplish (unless his height comes in even lower than expected at the combine), but more about his frame/durability? People have different risk tolerances but I'm perfectly ok taking the guy most agree will be a star but may not be able to stay healthy to reach his full potential. Elite processing (most important factor for me), solid arm, and very good pocket awareness/maneuverability seems like a very strong combo.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There is a lot to like about Levis.

El_Conquistador likes this.
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I feel like almost all of Demeco's career he has played with or coached alongside pocket/traditional QBs.

I wonder if that will play into his thinking.

His OC has basically had nothing but Jimmy G to work with his whole career, too.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

17. Jayded

Jayded Member

Yup, and even more to the point I was curious for folks to rank the options. QBs usually bring out love or hate extremes, so I’m especially curious what folks think in terms of an “if/then” scenario the draft usually presents.

it’s entirely possible Young could go 1.1 either to the Bears or someone trading up - for Bryce fans, what’s plan B? What if something bonkers happens like Levi’s goes 1.2 to Chicago - are you more in on getting Fields or spending 1.2 on Young?

Mostly curious to shake folks to a multi-faceted plan that usually arises when the draft actually begins.

Shark44 likes this.
  18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Man… this just makes me want Bryce young more. It’s a video about arm strength and the guy can’t help but fawn over the guy. With the weakest arm of the group because HE’S THE BEST OF THE GROUP. Just get him and let’s risk injury rather than risk the guy who can throw it 80 yards actually learning all the other stuff.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats totally cool and within your right as a fan to have a preference. I found the video breakdown interesting and didnt view it as a slight to any of the young QBs mentioned. Im still not sold on any of them personally and would rather beef up the defense and trenches.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Hey, that’s also your right and opinion. I think if Bryce isn’t there at 2, I am down to go defense. And I definitely didn’t see the video as a slight towards the rest of the guys, but in a video where Bryce was the “weakest” he still got talked about in the best light (IMO).
    Gonna be an exciting draft either way.

Verbal Christ and cmoak1982 like this.