1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

When are we going to start criticizing Rafael Stone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

What place does KPJ have here going forward?

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I have no answer to that question, If I were to make a guess it would be as a 6th man .... but he is significantly better than Nix who is getting a large chunk of the minutes KPJ Was getting. That's a net negative.

Nix is BAD.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Why have we gotten progressively worse 3 years in a row? …to the point that the competence of the org is being called into question by reasonable people.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We'll start with $88,185,338 in dead money and only $48,178,915 in active roster salary and it's possible that gap widens of they let Kaminsky go so he can latch on with a contender and cash playoff checks.

They traded away their best player from last year (Wood) and their best player this year (EG) and replaced them with .... raw kids who are nothing but potential and no fundamentals.

Next, no player getting minutes has more than three years experience (Boban & Kaminsky don't count) & none of them has ever experienced winning in the NBA.

I think it's quite obvious that Stone did this on purpose and has all but said he got better in the aspect of their goals for the offseason.

$61,747,921 in cap space, a top 5 pick a top 18 pick & multiple picks to use in trades and 5 open roster spots to work with ..... As bad as they are, they are gong to be in a good place this summer.

5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Jesus christ.

All losers are not created equal.

Are the Spurs destroying their young players with a toxic atmosphere?

Are the Spurs losing because their young stud draft picks are either:
    A) not progressing - whatsoever
    B) not allowed to do anything except stand on the perimeter or set screens

Or are the Spurs deliberately losing but still keeping their organisation in check and will immediately flip a switch if they hit it big in the draft?

Herp derp all Ls are the same.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think we need to get rid of Stone and Silas

We can't get rid of Tilman, and besides, Suns fans and players didn't like Sarver, but the Suns are really good.
    So it's the GM and coach.

we're turning into the old sacremento kings

albuster and Dredd like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets in 20-21:

17 wins…27th on offense, 27th on defense

Rockets in 21-22:

20 wins…26th on offense, dead last on defense

Rockets this season

on pace for 18 wins…dead last on offense, 28th on defense

GotGame15 likes this.
  8. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

suns fans got rid of sarver. Now they are very good

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I am still firmly convinced this is EXACTLY what Stone wanted....

That he knows Silas sucks, he wanted to tank, not like.....obvious but limited Silas ability to compete on purpose to force the tank from the top.

And is super happy with how it is all going.

For his plan to work though, he has to make massive trades this summer, as I don't believe Tillman will give him the 5-6 years a full tank rebuild takes.

DD

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I tend to agree on the intent BUT could we not have brought in a better coach and culture this year and still been a bottom 3 team? Id think so but maybe we just wanted to finish the job.

Im thinking we need 4-5 veterans amongst the 5-6 young guys we want to play next year. 9 man rotation with a 10th guy that gets some minutes.

Eason
    KPJ
    Green
    Sengun
    2023 1st
    TyTy

Leaves Jay and Garuba on the outside. I really want to play both 25 min a game rest of this year to see what we have.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

lol the 'fans' didn't get rid of him
    he got rid of himself not by choice

12. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

YES! The suns got rid of their trash owner

I think the rockets should do the same!

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If we are going to get some good vets, some of the young players will be traded. Unfortunately, some traded pieces can be some fans' favorites.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

I’m going to bet Tilman ain’t going anywhere

15. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

I dont doubt it! This org and fanbase dont care

His r****d son will probably be next in line

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Your logic contradicts itself. The Rockets have been pretty public about expecting to be better in year 4 and the timing of their draft obligation due to Westbrook disaster pretty much demands it.

You're saying that Stone - despite this - secretly is harboring a 6 year tank plan that his boss doesn't want, that he can't physically execute due to draft obligations, and that is objectively a bad idea anyway (6 years is a very low bar)....? Really?

What's more likely - that, or..

that the Rockets misjudged and overvalued their players, and did not intend to be this bad?

Literally every single thing we hear reported about the Rockets cartioonishly high player trade valuations ("consider x player to be a core piece going forward")

and...Stone's very own actions, like giving KPJ an extension at all despite him having no value outside Houston, not bothering to bring jn more guards, holding onto Gordon an extra year,, to just handing "core piece" Jaesean Tate - a 27 year old career role player at best who is supplanted by other players on the roster - a new contract..

... ALL of this points to the Rockets not realizing how bad their players actually are and trying and just failing miserably

BMoney likes this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I believe that a better coach might have gotten us away from the bottom 3.

@SamFisher

I don't think that Stone sold Tillman on a long rebuild, I am saying that Tillman said 3 years so Stone did all the tanking and shed the dead money to set up THIS year as the big change year by signing free agents and making trades.

I firmly believe this is exactly the course that Stone wanted. I don't think our players are as bad as you say, I think a better coach could get a lot more out of them.

DD

18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

How safe do we think Stone actually is this off season?

I'm a worried about what he thinks is the best plan for the salary cap space that will be available this off season, and that a big miss will further set the team back even more.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

People with a working plan don’t talk like that. It is either you don’t have a plan or it is not working. The ‘trust us, we know what we are doing’ narrative without having the capacity to succinctly talk about it is the typical indication of poor management.