1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Is it? Really?

It says :

Very Good Shooter

Very Good Athlete​

...among other things.

These are the two areas where he's been much worse than i expected and why I scratch my head over how he was ever considered a #1 overall prospect which is what that Scouting report says

He has not been a very good shooter and appears to have middling at best athleticism in terms of running and jumping. He doesn't seem to have explosiveness to finish underneath consistently.

I still don't get how these things went unnoticed.

vator and J Sizzle like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Other than (duh) taking more right corner 3s, he's been ass from pretty much everywhere.

http://nbashotcharts.com/zoned?id=615512345

I guess the left elbow jumper is -ok- but Sengun is usually taking those spots when he's in.

Yung-T likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

I already posted a shot chart from a different site so I don’t need to look at whatever u just sent me

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Proclaiming it in interviews about that brings bad PR to the franchise.

I don't care if he runs plays or not but he shouldn't say it out loud.

Unhinged behavior, leads me to think Silas has an agreement not to be fired until offseason.

Easy, MystikArkitect and Ren ason like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think sometimes scouts who watch Collegeball too much tend to compare Jabari to college athletes and not athletic NBA players.

I do think that might be the case here.

He is pretty tall so dunking does seem effortless.

He is a decent prospect who got elevated to the highest of heights.

#5066 daywalker02, Feb 17, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
  7. MystikArkitect

Jabari's biggest athletic strength is his lateral mobility which is elite. It's why even the most prolific offensive players have issues getting around him and even when they do he can recover and bother or block the shot. There were various videos showcasing this. His linear athleticism is fine, nothing crazy like Jalen or KJ but better than Garuba or Sengun.

JayGoogle, gfab-babyboi and Easy like this.
  8. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm a bit confused on Jabari competing the skills challenge. Is that going to show off his strengths?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I haven't seen it in NBA games.

Nope. Sengun has more blocks per minute (even though that one is close), significantly more dunks, more rebounds. I haven't seen Jabari have more "linear athleticism" than Sengun.

Jabari has a very low defensive stance, people just shoot over him. When they get around him, I haven't seen him recover well. He doesn't seem very good at fighting through screens.

One positive thing I would say is that the effort seems to almost always be there on defense, that is quite different from let's say Jalen or Nix.

Yung-T and daywalker02 like this.
  10. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Gonna show off that elite lateral mobility.

Yung-T and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think they just get the top 3 picks of last year's draft. If Chet wasn't injured, he'd be there. Ivey is the next in line.

12. MystikArkitect

Happens when you don't detail.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

OK let's go into detail.

Supposedly his single best defensive game was the one against Giannis.

He played very solid defense against Giannis, ripping the ball from him once and blocking him once, and generally staying very close to him.

However, when he got beat, he never recovered. Good examples of that are at the 20 second mark and at 1:05 minutes.

I watched pretty much every Rockets game this year, and I just don't see it.

He has a great defensive stance and stays low and "locked in" and bothers people with his long arms, but once he is beaten, I haven't seen him recover.

The one who is actually great at recovering and still getting a hand on the ball is Tari, not Bari.

Yung-T likes this.
  14. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Y’all underrate Jabari passing, he’s our best entry passer (to Sengun) He makes better decisions on break than every one but Sengun

The biggest issue I see is wing 3s he takes way too many of them and it’s out of his range but when you have Sengun on 1 baseline and KMJ or Tate in opposite corner he gets stuck out on wing

He’s improved dribbling, driving and finishing around rim and through contact - but most folks won’t admit that because he’s shooting so badly from 3

Majority of those folks also won’t comment when another player goes 4-12 on all layups but cry about Bari or Green

JayGoogle likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, that's encouraging.

Also, he is 19 and has a shitty coach.

Would be way too soon to give up on him.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Oh, sweet Jesus, I just noticed Jabari Smith being in the Skills Challenge. And we thought Jalen Green's dunk competition was a horrific joke last year.

My fear is that when Jabari competes, I'll be wincing and looking away, like during a movie (Milk) or TV show (Watchmen) with a gay-male sex scene: Oh no, don't want to see that. I hope these comments come back to haunt me, where, if he actually does well, it'll be like watching a lesbian sex scene: Pause, re-wind, watch again. Re-wind, watch again....

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jabari, Ivey and Banchero hold the flag up high for them rookie class.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

People do comment on Tari's inability to make layups. But he is still a fan favorite. I guess it has something to do with expectations.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Tari hustles. Always. People love that.

Contrast that with Nix, who is fat, out of shape, has terrible body language and facial expressions, and doesn't even hustle.

Easy and daywalker02 like this.
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

"Very athletic, skilled forward that has a solid set of all-round skills. He can score the basketball in a variety of ways".
    "very good shooter"
    "solid scorer off the dribble"
    "adequate playmaker"
    "at worst, a very good 2nd or 3rd option on a contending team "

Oh boy, not sure what your definition of spot-on is.