1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uniform changes....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

Our logo looks horrible without being flipped on the helmet. I think it's because of the way it leans. It just looks wrong.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Stealing the greek thing right out from under the Titans' nose would be beautiful, and I completely agree their color scheme does not match their name or general vibe at all.

I wouldn't rule anything out. Cal seems to be, for better or worse, charting his own course now. If a unified movement came together, it could happen.

kdchilds and Caesar like this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I secretly envy places that have a unified sports aesthetic. Pittsburgh just nailed it. Black, yellow. If you see those colors, you know what city it is. Unified naming conventions are also cool.

kdchilds, Hey Now!, MadMax and 3 others like this.
  4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's probably because the bull is only slightly leaning one direction, whereas with most other logos it's VERY clear which way it's pointing. Also, there's very little horizontal symmetry to the logo.

kdchilds and Caesar like this.
  5. Caesar

Caesar Member

Apollos vs Titans

What a shame.
    Having a Greek theme might have been the reason they didn't go with it, but oh it would have been delicious if Bob had those guevos to do it. A big middle finger to them.
    Could have had both a space feel and greek mythos feel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Damn shame.

Cal rebrand his pops team? I don't know. That'd be the day, but he just as soon could make an even worse decision. Houston Bible Battlers.
    He should make an offer Amy Adams can't refuse to buy back the Oilers and then Amy recolors the Titans to green.
    Oilers- colombia/luv ya Blue, Red, White
    Colts- Blue/White
    Jaguars - Teal, Black
    Titans - Green and whatever

Instead it's a division of 3 blue teams. It's stupid. That's why i support us going primary red helmets.

kdchilds likes this.
  6. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I don't know. But it has to be better than "Texans".

kdchilds likes this.
  7. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

I thought I was the only one for years who hated the name but it's tons of people who do I just wonder if they would ever consider changing it?

Deep Steel Truth likes this.
  8. Jayded

Jayded Member

Could have had fun blending the two concepts. NASA certainly has a blue you could lean into and still use either a space or Greek theme surrounding the NASA flight suit blue. Would be a fun way to lean into Houston football = blue without it being generic (current uniforms) or appeasing for those who wish to leave the Oilers behind.

I’m admittedly nostalgic for the Oilers to return. The Oiler red seen in a few of the mock-ups used as a primary color could be a good blending of the old and new. I’ve grown to dislike the logo too, so I hope they toss it out first.

I wasn’t a fan of Apollos at the time, but now I feel like I was wrong. If they’re going to reboot, it’d be cool to see a total reboot (name, colors, logo/uniform). If Texans are to stay, at least reboot the colors and logo/uniform.

kdchilds, Caesar and Two Sandwiches like this.
  9. CrazyJoeDavola

The Texans' losing history needs to change. The uniforms and name are fine.

If the Texans were to ever make an AFC championship or Superbowl and reach greater heights than our previous team, then the existing name/uniform will outsell even the Astros.

10. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

The name sucks!

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

People.... they are not going to change their name. Unless they move. The NFL is not going to allow that. I just want everyone's expectations properly set. They are the Texans.

Speaking of... they need to move on from We are Texans, which wasn't an original concept and isn't terribly compelling. Their marketing has laways been sub-standard.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  12. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

The NFL would allow it if they wanted it!

macho GRANDE likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Name the last NFL team to change names that wasn’t because of Native American issues or a recently moved team?

14. Hey Now!

The NFL is not going to let a team change their name, "Just because..." The only previous name changes were either associated with a relocation or protests.

15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

You can definitely change your name but it’ll be pricey

kdchilds likes this.
  16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Curiously asking, why would the NFL care enough to have such a staunch rule over this? The owners actually own the franchise name and can even hold a name they aren’t even using in perpetuity seemingly.

No doubt the name would need to be approved but I don’t think they’d say you’d never be able to change your name outside of those reasons you mentioned.

#376 gucci888, Feb 17, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
    macho GRANDE and kdchilds like this.
  17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

So if we protest the name Texans the name can be changed? I do find their play to be offensive to Texans.

18. Hey Now!

I can't, off the top of my head, think of one such instance in the entire history of the NFL that wasn't based on relocation and/or racism. The NFL keeps a iron-tight grip on their marketing. There are not going to let the Texans change their name, "Just because..."

19. Hey Now!

It's just not how professional sports teams operate.

I would open this up to any of the major sports - how many instances can you name of a team changing its name without a significant driving reason? Interestingly, the Astros would be on the list, though the opening of the Astrodome could, theoretically, fall under "relocation" (the Dome was a BIG deal at the time; big enough to merit the name change).

Beyond that... teams don't even always change their names when they move - the Rams, Cardinals, Jazz... Brand equity has tremendous value and teams and their leagues are not in a hurry to flush that all away.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bobcats to Hornets seemed like a "just because"... but only after New Orleans re-branded to Pelicans, so still had to do somewhat with relocation (albeit, indirectly).