1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Alleniversonpractice.gif

raining threes likes this.
  2. raining threes

If you want to be competitive, then draft a QB in this draft. If you want to compete for championships then drafting a QB in 2024 is the way to go. IMHO

orosiriley likes this.
  3. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

That’s silly. There is absolutely zero guarantee that any QB next draft will work out any better than one of the QBs in this draft. In addition, you have no idea what draft position the Texans will be in next draft and to get one of the QBs at the top might require mortgaging the farm. Any QB drafted in the first round is 50/50 so why would a team give up so much for a 50/50?

Red.Glare and Sooty like this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Panthers QB Coach Josh McCown Scouts CJ STROUD - YouTube

Not going to lie,

I would be 100% ok with Young or Stroud. Pretty good breakdown. Got a little Joe Burrow comparison.

Also, Josh McCown comes off as a guy who probably should have been given some coaching consideration. Very intelligent, good communicator etc.

Two Sandwiches and Sooty like this.
  5. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

He’s giving us two guarantees: a) we’ll be bad enough next year, even though we couldn’t get the job done this year; b) a QB from next years draft will win a SB and the QB’s from this year won’t.

houstonstime and Hawkeye84 like this.
  6. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Unless we sign a guy like Bradbury then drafting a C who fits in the zone scheme is a top priority in the draft.

7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully Bradbury is the target. Wouldn’t want too many young guys up front.

Two Sandwiches, Rudyc281 and whag00 like this.
  8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They still should draft a C/G in the 2nd. I'm thinking Steve Avila. Or is that too high?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

This is weird since all of those guys won multiple championships. Isnt that what we want?

11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

For me? I’m thinking 3rd round should be a lock for OL if we get a C in FA. C can change the entire line.

1.2 - QB
    1.12 - WR/TE/DE
    2.33 - WR/TE/DE

coachbadlee likes this.
  12. raining threes

What I do know is my opinion that next yrs QB class is going to be much better than this yrs QB class and if done right the Texans would have three 1st rd picks to trade up if need be. Honest question, how many games do yu think the Texans are going to win next yr?

13. raining threes

I would go

DE
    WR
    C

They probably will go

QB
    DE
    LB

14. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

Don’t have a clue and neither do you.

Omihall23 likes this.
  15. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

It shows that only 10% of QBs that are drafted in the top 3 win a Super Bowl for their drafted teams. 90% of Super Bowl winning QBs weren’t. Which is more likely?

raining threes likes this.
  16. raining threes

What an answer, I asked for your opinion so maybe we could have a discussion.

SMH, I can see that was a waste of time.

How many game do YOU think they will win? Of course we dont know, but I would think you might have an opinion.

17. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

I think this team sucked and they still won 3 games and were competitive in several others. With some additional pieces and new coaches, I could see them easily doubling their win total if not better.

No Worries and raining threes like this.
  18. raining threes

I see them as a 6-7 win team and picking in the top 10. With three 1sts including a top 10 pick Caserio should be able to trade up and get one of the 3 QB's that I like more than any QB in this draft. Is this a gamble? Yes it is, but it's less of a gamble than gambling on a QB in this draft. IMHO

I guess this really comes down to do you really like this qb class. I dont like this class, you must like this class or you just want to win a few more games and are willing to settle for a QB in this class.

19. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

This statistic isn’t proving anything. There are 250+ draft picks every year. The fact that Tom Brady won so many super bowls is skewing the statistic pretty heavily and still 10% is pretty good over 3 picks of spread when compared to that 90% spread over 250+ potential picks.

houstonstime likes this.
  20. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

There are many teams that are willing to pick qbs in the top 5 in this class. You readily admit that you think next year’s class will be MUCH better and I’ve even seen some posters saying that there will be can’t miss qb prospects next year. In that scenario, the teams that are in the top 2 slots aren’t trading out of it. Chicago is only willing to do so presumably because they believe Justin Fields can be a franchise qb, but most of the time a team in the top 2 doesn’t have a franchise qb.

I have yet to see someone spell out how drafting a qb this year with a pick that we already have is more of a gamble than hoping that the qbs next year have awesome seasons, hoping that we don’t have a decent season, and hoping that the teams ahead of us are willing to trade out of the spot. That’s at least 3 variables that have to work out together to reach that outcome. That is by definition more of a gamble. Instead of a straight gamble, it’s a parlay. It’s the same kind of risk as taking Anthony Richardson so I’d expect more of you to be all on board for him, but haven’t seen much of that.