1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top QB in 2023 draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Wattafan, Dec 2, 2022.

?

Texans best option if QB #1 overall

Poll closed Jan 31, 2023.
  1. Bryce Young Al

50 vote(s)
    68.5%
  2. C.J. Stroud OS

7 vote(s)
    9.6%
  3. Will Levis UK

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Max Duggan TCU

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Grayson McCall CC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hendon Hooker Ten.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Anthony Richardson Fl

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  8. No QB with #1

13 vote(s)
    17.8%
  1. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I can't help but feel like this is a better highlight film of the O-line's pass blocking ability. 95% of those throws are deep throws from clean pockets. I don't dislike Stroud, but I want to see more tape of him making throws under pressure and making difficult plays inside the pocket.

Even looking at his highlights from the Georgia game, I count 3 positive plays when under pressure (2 in the 2nd quarter and 1 in the 4th). He played a great game, but the tape doesn't say much if he was to play with an average or below average o-line.

2. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Depends on how much better.
    Potentially, yes, but you could say that about a bunch of guys in this draft.
    Let me rephrase it - I believe he will be worth the pick.
    But like any rookie QB, it may take a couple of years to see him really starting to hit his stride just like Trevor Lawrence for example.

3. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Yeah our Oline is subpar but he is gonna have to have an easy scheme, some good weapons to throw too and good run game to take some pressure off him as well as an upgrade on the Oline.
    This is a sound idea for any rookie QB.

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Member

Let’s go with Drew Brees 2.0 ..Bryce Young !

Sooty, Wattafan, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  5. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

This is going to depend on who will be coaching the offense next year. Also, it's possible Tunsil and/or Howard won't be back next year, so the O-line wouldn't necessarily be an upgrade (although I will concede that the situation at center couldn't possibly be worse than this year).

raining threes and Wattafan like this.
  6. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Tunsil won't be going anywhere - it will be too expensive to get rid of him and besides, why would we want to get rid of one of the best LTs in the league?

primtim24 and raining threes like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Is he worth being the highest paid LT in the NFL? "Reset the market" as he described his next contract (which he wants to do this offseason with 1 year left, which is what they wouldn't do with Duane Brown).

But like you said, what would it cost to replace him?

#27 Buck Turgidson, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    Wattafan and OldManBernie like this.
  8. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

16.5 million in dead money under his current contract.

9. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Nice response on the poll peeps.
    Young is undoubtedly the best skilled QB in this class and is as close to an elite prospect as you could hope for.
    Obviously, his stature is his biggest and only knock but he will still need some help from a good coaching staff and team around him which the Texans currently do not have.
    Gonna need some big changes at Kirby and I'm not sure one off-season is enough time.
    However, a quality Center, another true weapon to throw to and a powerful run game will give him a great chance.

primtim24 likes this.
  10. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Better to take the hit while the team is bad than be saddled with a bad contract when the team is trying to compete IMO.

11. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Or just play out his contract.
    Aim for a draft replacement in 2024 to bring along so we don't have to burn a prime pick on one this time and keep that 16.5 mill dead cap hit.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Anyone down to trade Tunsil while his stock is hot? I would be tempted to if you could get back at least a 1st and 2nd rounder.

Buck Turgidson, ROXRAN and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Would in a heartbeat

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Do you think Tytus could play LT?

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not as good as Tunsil but good enough I think

Verbal Christ likes this.
  17. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Mulugheta client

18. Buck Turgidson

So?

Wattafan likes this.
  19. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

This from nfldraftbuzz.com
    SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS

• Sticks throws into tight windows over the middle, throwing to spot on a slant or between zone defenders before the receiver is open.
    • Traditional pro-looking QB - has elite size for the position - stands 6-6 and weighs 230lbs and has the elite arm strength to match
    • Stats may misrepresent his quality of play due to sub-par talent around him
    • Highly skilled in executing the west coast system - will likely transition into a pro offense with ease
    • Has great footwork and usually deals well with pressure
    • Flashes good accuracy to all levels of the field and has the arm strength to make every requisite NFL throw.
    • Big athlete with good height and stands tall in the pocket to survey the field. Uses good technique, squaring his shoulders to the target and stepping into his throws.
    • Sprays the ball anywhere on the field, especially when given a pocket from which to deliver. Will step up into the pocket while looking downfield, reset his feet and deliver.
    • Has surprising speed as a runner for such a big man - has some escapability
    • Excellent height to see over the defense along with a super release that allows to him to avoid a number of sacks
    • Good accuracy overall, including excellent accuracy on short timing routes to backs and receivers, placing the ball slightly in front to lead receivers to potential yardage after the catch.
    • Possesses an NFL arm. Gets the ball from one hash to the opposite sideline in a hurry.
    Have you guessed who yet?
    Scroll down for answer

Tanner McKee Stanford.
    I think it's time for discussion on him.

Shark44 likes this.
  20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I'm not a huge Tunsil fan, but after what we've went through with Duane Brown, I'd vote to keep him. We need to build the OL, and right now our OTs are solid. Getting Green up-to-speed at LG and adding a Center and RG will be key to solidifying the line, which is critical to us making any progress on offense. Caserio has to be a better negotiator than butt-chin/easterbunny and can get LT signed without breaking the bank.

Boii and whag00 like this.