1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would be your QB plan recommendation?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jayded, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Jayded

Jayded Member

Let's say DeMeco and Nick call you into their office as we head towards the 2023 draft. Nick has proposed all of the below scenarios and asked you to put them all in order of preference. How would you order your personal recommendation you'd like to see the Texans employ?

Yes, lots of QB chat in the draft thread or separate threads, but I'm curious really where folks would position all of the potential options if you were forced to not just say you favor one player or you outright dislike another player but had to rank recommendation options. I threw in a crazy idea at the end based on Warren Sapp's comments just for fun whereas the others feel like more realistic options out there and/or that are being discussed.

What would you most like the Texans to do in order from favorite recommendation to least? (and why after)
    • Trade what it takes to go to 1.1 to get Bryce Young
    • Trade what it takes to go to 1.1 to get a QB not named Bryce Young
    • Stay put at 2 and if Bryce Young is there, take him
    • Stay put at 2 and if CJ Stroud is there, take him
    • Stay put at 2 and if Will Levis is there, take him
    • Wait until 12 and draft a QB like Anthony Richardson
    • Draft no QB in the first round, but go for someone in rounds 2-3 like Hendon Hooker or Tanner McKee
    • Draft no QB high at all and grab a late round project (likely means stick with Mills as QB1)
    • Sign a free agent QB bridge QB like Baker Mayfield, Jimmy G, or other
    • Trade non-first round pick for another team's backup (ex. Trey Lance, Zach Wilson)
    • Trade the Bears the for Justin Fields (speculation would be a 1st and 3rd would do it, but naturally depends on the pick(s))

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I would stay put at 2 and draft Bryce Young if there.

If he's not, I'd draft Will Anderson and then try and trade up from 12 to 6 or 7 to select the best available between Levis, Stroud, and Richardson (posted in the order that I'd draft them).

3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone but Stroud

javal_lon and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Draft Byrce Young and be over with it.

primtim24, Fulgore and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Go 0-17 draft Caleb Williams next year. Use first 2 picks this year on defense.

RocketFan007, orosiriley and Qan like this.
  7. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Stay at 2 and draft whoever doesn’t get picked at 1 between Stroud/young

or

Try to trade for Jordan Love if Rodgers wants to stay in GB

or

Sign Baker and go defense at 2

8. Fantasma Negro

I was with the Stroud crowd last week, then I heard him do interviews on radio row and that dude sounds like a moron. So now I have no clue. Sign a vet, draft Anderson at #2, trade back from #12, draft Richardson

orosiriley and Qan like this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Let's get Justin on the Fields baby!!!

10. Two Sandwiches

I'll be honest, that's swayed my opinion a little bit on him as well.

Although he sounds smarter than Richardson.

And also, Lamar doesn't sound very smart, but has played pretty well over his career.

cmoak1982 and Fantasma Negro like this.
  11. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

The only thing concerning about young to me personally is his size for qb. I’d sign baker or take a flyer on jimmy g or Derek carr. And go from there

12. Two Sandwiches

My second plan, if Young isn't available at 2, and we can't trade back up for another QB, is to go defense with both first round picks. (Anderson and a CB, probably)

Then, go Jalin Hyatt in the second. Then, trade both 3rds to move up late second to take Hooker.

Sign Jacoby Brissett and let Hooker sit for half the year or so. Yes, I know he's older, but he'll give someone great value because of that.

The key is to let Hooker start enough games to show you what he's got, and to make a decision on him quickly. If he's not it, you trade him or Mills and draft a first round QB next year.

david_rocket and Fantasma Negro like this.
  13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

?????

14. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

• Stay put at 2 and if Bryce Young is there, take him
    • Sign Jimmy G
    • Draft no QB high at all and grab a late round project (likely means stick with Mills as QB1)

15. body slam

body slam Member

add Nathan Rourke
    draft a project QB later in the draft

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Our last two head coaches have been fired after 1 season for losing. Caserio is on the hot seat already and DeMeco wants to win right from the start... and drafting a rookie QB is totally incompatible with that. Drafting a rookie QB in a weak year for talent is even worse -- possibly a death blow to his career aspirations. He knows this. Which is why we will bring in either a free agent QB or stick with Davis Mills in 2023. 3rd year Mills will be better than any rookie QB we draft in 2023.

Use the picks to build a fortress of talent, and then address QB through other means (free agency, trades, 2024 NFL draft).

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I just really don’t want Stroud. Young at 2 or Levis/Richardson at 12 if they fall.

If not I’m good with drafting a mid round guy like Duggan, Hooker, Cam, Haener.

Rourke from Canada is worth a flyer as well.

Just no Stroud

18. Two Sandwiches

This is the idea I am probably most against. It's just a bad idea.

DeMeco does not need to win now and he knows that. This team is in the beginning stages of a rebuild.

Signing a free agent quarterback does nothing more than propel you towards prolonged mediocrity. Say you sign Derek Carr. You've wasted half your cap, and your window is now 5 years max before we start this crap over again. We do not have the talent to compete that quick with a quarterback like Carr. Carr is only competing on a team like San Francisco or Philadelphia that is loaded on both sides of the ball.

If you want to build a team with a prolonged window, you've got to get a young guy. Two teams in recent memory that I can think of that have competed after signing a quarterback are New Orleans and Tampa. Do you think there's a quarterback of that caliber available?

Not only that, but Brady gave them a three year window, if we're being generous. Brees was the ultimate outlier, as he hit free agency at a young age.

We're not trying to compete next year. This is a build from the ground up.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  19. Two Sandwiches

Rourke chose to sign with Jacksonville, for some strange reason.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. Fantasma Negro

I don't think he has the arm talent to run the air raid. But in in that division, if Rodgers returns to the Packers we should be all over Jordan Love

This

#20 Fantasma Negro, Feb 11, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
    Kemahkeith likes this.