1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafael Stone the HEDGE GOD! Why Stone has done a great job rebuilding the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Feb 9, 2023.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Especially when BKN has NO PROTECTIONS on those picks!

Corrosion likes this.
  2. TheJet

TheJet Member

This is my biggest issue with the front office. Scheme can be taught, ability can be improved. Fixing a toxic culture is a different animal.

Damion Laverne likes this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Of course, but we are a particular fanbase that is used to two GM's in a row who were super engaged with the community and fans. You are going to be compared to Dawson, and Morey for better or worse.

It would be one thing if Stone had the background and gravitas of Ainge, Presti, or Pat Riley, but he doesn't. Even if it's not Stone, and he's not that guy, this is a city that needs a connection to the city, and fans. You just aren't going to fare well here if you are an ivory tower type of elitist. You just won't be that well trusted or have much of a legacy in the longrun.

But yeah as a GM your actions speak louder than words, and right now Stone doesn't have the resume to sit up in an ivory tower and expect much faith from the fans and around the league in general.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I might not have agreed with Morey on things but I rolled with Morey at every major deadline, couldn't say the same about Rafael.

5. Landry's Tooth

That's a lot of words.

Who made the call to OKC?

6. Landry's Tooth

Neither did Lunhow in 2013...

7. Landry's Tooth

This doesn't sound at all like you claim:

We thought we needed to add someone who might have an extra gear," Morey said. "While we were a very good team -- and I've actually been asked, 'Is this the best Rockets team?' and I think we have a chance at that, but I do have to point to our team a few years ago, which won more games than very few teams in history at 65 [regular-season wins], so we've got a ways to prove that we're as good as that team that came very close. But with Russell here, I think we have a shot to be the best Rockets team since I've been here, and maybe since the championship teams [in 1994 and 1995], but we've got a long ways to go to show that."

Morey also shared the interesting detail that Harden initially wanted to know if the Rockets could get the deal done to add Westbrook without having to give up Chris Paul in return; something that was ultimately impossible. Props to him for trying, though.

"His mind is always [going] first to 'How [can we be] completely stacked?'" Morey said of Harden. "When I let him know it probably wasn't going to happen, he was good. He understood. He said, 'Hey, if there's a way to make it happen, let's do it,' but he understands that you can't just snap your fingers and make things happen in the NBA. No one is out there trying to help us. It's always a dynamic when you're trying to get the deal done."

anchel likes this.
  8. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Well, as Nook described in detail, some if not most of your examples are yet to be judged. Those who not, are not favoring Stone at all. Plus, your assumptions about the picks are that, assumptions, true thing is we don't know.

What we know for a fact, is how we can compare to similar organizations on this league. Some of them are ahead of our timeline for 1 or more years, but some of them have a Coach for the future, a healthy workplace, others have team cultures some veterans have raved about. And that part is 100% in control of this leadership, does not depend on ping pong balls. And has not been addressed.

So no, no serious organization would allow this level of mediocrity, a lot would buy a 3 year losing plan to build assets, but not with this level of dysfunction.

Even the process was criticized by the level of players they got, not by the way the organization was working internally.
    At this point, we don't know if this executive team knows how to handle a professional basketball team. All because they set for themselves a ridiculous 3 year timeline. Guess we will know this off season.

BTW, another owner bought a team on this league this month, and already got a Hall of Famer to a non destination. So we start to have more benchmarks for our "wonderful" org and its not showing us in great light.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  9. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We need two things…trade for Bridges and fire Silas….do something Silas

Landry's Tooth likes this.
  10. Damion Laverne

More like "Stone the BS ARTIST"

Nook and hakeem94 like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What bad contract do you want to take back so you can move Gordon for a pick 25th or worse?

The better option is to cut him and preserve your cap space.

You know this, you are just being obtuse.

12. Landry's Tooth

Not saying best scenario... but...

Harden
    Porter
    Bridges
    #1 Pick
    Sengun

Bench
    Green
    Christopher
    Eason
    Martin
    J Smith
    Tate

I think that could compete... with the right coach...

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You are entitled to your opinion .... but it's wrong and I believe the future success of this franchise will prove that.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

There's not much wrong about that post. in fact, for the most part all of it is pretty much spot on

saying you just believe in the future success isn't saying much to refute any of it. that's just telling folks you're basing on hope

Nook likes this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Rafael Stone = Hedge Honcho

AroundTheWorld, Nook and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Slap that on a T-Shirt.

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

STONE:
    If we tank for 50 years straight we gotta stumble into MJ esque talent.

Perhaps but nobody have that kind of time and it is not basketball.

Why so desperate to only 100% win. Its great for city of Houston to just have a nice team that will compete every year. Basketball is fun. They don't have to be the champions.

You dont have to have the best woman in town or else you will have no other woman. Any nice women will do.

And you cant boast when you are 99 yr old I went without sex my entire life but I nailed this miss universe yesterday finally!

You also cant boast with borrowed money. Tanking money is a borrowed good. You didnt earn it, you cheated your way into it. It's empty, its stupid, it's beggarly mentality, it's a negation of sports!

18. Nook

Nook Member

Past failures does not promise future failure.

It is possible the Rockets end up with Wemby or Henderson and fall into a good situation.

What I can say is that thus far, Stone has not objectively done a good job.

thekad and YOLO like this.
  19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the pacers traded levert for a FRP a year later. Stone got olynyk who left as a FA.

Allen is a dine a dozen rim running center? I bet if the Cavs put him on the market they get more than a SRP for him like stone did.

stone held wood too long. trade him in the summer of 2021 and get a late lotto pick. wait a year until he's an expiring deal seen as a 1 year rental and get a late FRP.

should've traded gordon last year when they had "multiple FRP offers". this year gordon was traded for nothing but expiring contracts.

"LeVert + 2nd round pick for Oladipo
    • Was signed to 3 years $52.5 million contract at that time
    • LeVert was a good rotational player, but streaky shooter and poor defender, that may not justify his contract
    • Oladipo when healthy is an all star, but obviously hasn’t been the same since injury
    • This moved allowed us to test out a higher ceiling player without committing a longer contract
    Jarrett Allen + Prince for 2022 Bucks pick + Fillers
    • Tillman probably did not want to pay 5 year $100 million to keep him
    • Allen may have increased the Rockets’ win total, leading to decreased probability in landing Top 4 pick and hurts our future tanks
    • Rim running centers are like NFL RBs - they’re a dime a dozen."

Nook likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

I’m really holding off on judging the Rockets until I see the roster for the 2023 season.

Im not as low on Stone as many on here… but I also don’t really know what to make of the Rockets yet. Real possibility we won’t have much to show for this Hinkie style rebuild.