1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Catcher situation

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by vince, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Spiers is a really interesting comp for Hensley. Spiers didn’t hit any HR and had wildly inconsistent values year by year depending on babip and defensive usage. He posted a 4 win season but also a -1.9 win season. Anyway, that kind of production would be a great outcome for Hensley. I have thought Hensley could be like DJ LeMahieu but with more strikeouts.

Nook likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

No, Baker is just one name in the room. The pitching coaches, the field coaches, the GM and front office and pitchers all were involved in how they viewed Lee when he came up. In fairness to Lee, I believe that was the first time he was in the big leagues and once he was sent down, he played well.

Remember, when Tucker first came up there were some with the Astros that didn't like the impression he made. They felt that he gave up on counts, that his body language was suspect and they didn't like that he didn't want to have different roles on the team. However, later he more than figured it out and is a near elite player.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am optimistic about Lee.

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/astros-korey-lee-martin-maldonado-17728243.php

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...cle/Astros-Korey-Lee-first-start-17286291.php

Those articles paint a pretty flattering view of Lee’s demeanor and upside. I especially note Maldonado’s comments on Lee.

Even if he is not stellar at handling the pitching staff, his power and arm make for a very valuable player. He hit 25 HR in AAA last season. Only 6 MLB catchers hit 20+ HR last season and they averaged over 3 fwar.

#43 Snake Diggit, Feb 7, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    mikol13, itzIce, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The Tucker (off field) comp to Lee is an interesting one.

Tucker just looks like an easy going, not too high not too low guy. Not very emotional.

I haven't seen enough if Lee to compare, but there is no question that Tucker learned his lesson.

Of course it may have cost him a season, as he was in AAA most of 2019 when a good showing in 2018 likely means he's in the bigs.

If that happens, he is a FA at 28 not 29 and Astros only have him -2024, not 2025.

Catcher is a different position that has many more off field requirements, but it shows that Lee still has a chance to be a MLB contributor.

raining threes likes this.
  5. Major

Major Member

Wulaw going to be pissed...

Speaking of Martín, how pivotal is it as a young catcher to have someone like him that's done so much in his career to learn behind?
    It's unbelievable. I think about times when I was a kid and I would see Maldi catching for the Brewers and catching for the Angels. That was when I was growing up, and now I get to have him on my team and get to talk to him. He was someone I would look up to. I'd watch film, I'd watch him catch, I'd watch him call the game, and now I get to see what he puts in behind the scenes and it makes sense. I believe he's one of the best to do it. He should be a Hall of Famer. He has everything to offer. Especially as a young catcher in the league, it's a dream to have him in front of me to learn from.

6. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

yeah but why is he supposed to say … Maldy is kind of a dick and I dont understand how he is the starter since he is an automatic out?

7. Major

Major Member

Because the most important things a catcher does has nothing to do with the bat.

Buck Turgidson and The Beard like this.
  8. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I don’t disagree with you. I’m just saying that Lee isn’t exactly gonna say anything bad or even lukewarm about Maldy.

9. SuraGotMadHops

Maybe I'm too hung up on the family relationship, but looking at early returns on J.C. Correa, he could project to be a guy that "hits well...for a catcher." It seems he is learning the position well, and I think he has acknowledged that catching may be his best route to make a major league roster some day.

He hit .309 in High A, with an .810 OPS, not bad, but it will have to translate to the higher levels. I don't know if the org has or will promote him to Corpus this season.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I see him as a Garrett Stubbs type backup or #3 C/26th man who could give late inning value multiple ways.

The organization is really weak at catcher and Correa as a lottery ticket has zero downside so I think they go for it.

prospecthugger likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

For now I could see JC Correa having a Willians Austudillo level career. A guy who can be a backup catcher but also play other positions; not a star or even a guy who plays much above replacement level, but a player who brings versatility and a good at bat. Correa was very similarly productive to Austudillo as a 23 year old in high A.

That said, I do think Correa’s ceiling is higher than what Austudillo has done, given he is just now playing a premium defensive position. In the most ideal outcome he could blossom defensively and he a plus defensive catcher who rarely strikes out and presents double digit HR power. In that case he could be an everyday caliber player similar in value to Christian Vázquez.

I think we will have a MUCH better idea of Correa after this year. If he is assigned to Corpus and made their 1st string catcher, that would be a very good sign.

12. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

On my 2023 projected Roster I have him penciled in at Corpus to open the season. alongside Stubbs & RodrigueZ.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. HeyBudLetsParty

Probably the most intriguing positional battle going into camp in backup catcher. Really hoping Diaz had improved on his game calling and catching fundamentals and wins the job out of camp. Feel like he could call Brown and Javier while Maldy handles the rest of the staff. Still hopeful Lee can show something and at least be a productive backup. Hopefully they’re both on the roster and doing well by 2024

14. Buck Turgidson

I know it's Spring Training for all of us, but you need to step it up a little bit.

15. Buck Turgidson

I would be shocked if Lee is not the backup to start the year. Or they bring in a vet backup and Lee/Diaz are both in AAA. Hell if I know.

Diaz behind the plate is the most interesting thing in ST and AAA early this year.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah… but that bat though, Diaz really has a strong hit tool. There is part of me that thinks Diaz is just going to swing the stick so well they have to take him.

17. Buck Turgidson

Gary Sanchez says "hi"

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I think it's possible both are on the roster to begin the year. If Brantley isn't ready for opening day, Diaz could be kept to DH when Yordan is in LF, and Dusty would also feel better using Diaz to hit for Maldy late in games if he still had Lee on the bench. Diaz ability to be the DH/Backup 1B in addition to C could help him make it even if Lee is the true backup catcher

19. Major

Major Member

This is what I'd do early in the season - and let all 3 of them catch some and see what happens. Lets someone win the backup job on the merits, and also gives your 3rd option some experience in case one of the top two get injured along the way or if they just want to rest Maldy.

Brantley might able to push it and be ready opening day, but why bother? Just give him a few extra weeks to get to as close to 100% as possible.

20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Brantley's contract has big incentives for plate appearances.

He gets
    $500K if he gets 400 PA
    $1M for 425
    $1.75M for 450
    $2.5M for 475
    $3.25M for 500
    $4M for 525.

Missing a week could cost him $750K.
    An IL stint could cost him $1.5M.

He will not be happy to start on the IL just to "not rush him"

travfrancis and Tomstro like this.