1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Silas is pissed off

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Are you surprised or shocked? Why should anyone be when the talent isn’t there and the way the team is constructed? Why are fans upset and have greater expectations? It is what it is. Jabari hasn’t shot well. A center who can’t defend. No pg. and poor all around shooting. No vets to guide. Now if there’s no improvement im 23-24 with a hypothetical Victor and free agent acquisitions then ok sure be mad. But no we aren’t good now. Nothing to be surprised or upset or letdown about.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Screw this loser, he took the gig and laid an egg.

Good riddance

DD

Damion Laverne likes this.
  3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

He actually had another (smaller, but still showing a lack of maturity) issue that was swept under the rug:

This was AFTER the going home at half time incident.
    People always gloss over this but it shows that he didn’t all of a sudden grow up after his 1 game suspension. This clip is a bad look for Silas and KPJ.

He’s been fine with his outbursts and tantrums in games this year…still has moments when he won’t get back on defense but hey at least he hasn’t thrown any food at any coaches this season….that we know of.

#43 xtruroyaltyx, Feb 6, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Relax man lets be patient and see what moves are made for 23-24. We should be excited as fans really. Victor? Scoot? Thompson twins? Free agents? Harden coming back? Lots of questions. thats what we should look forward to and continue to cheer this team on even though they aren’t good.

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  5. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Wow! You made the king of lack of effort Kevin porter junior the head honcho and now try to throw a fake tantrum about this. And talking about your players as ‘they’. There is always a new low here.

ashleyem, AroundTheWorld and Tuckmose like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

He isn’t respected by the players. He hasn’t held them accountable and they haven’t improved as well as they should have.

Silas is a good man, and at some point I am sure the younger players will feel bad about how little effort they have given, but it doesn’t change the present.

7. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Not only does he suck at coaching, he also sucks at acting, LOL

hakeem94, Tfor3 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

You've got to sit these young guys on the bench, and then make them earn the right to get more playing time. Right now they are soft and weak after having been handed starter's minutes despite not earning/deserving it. The world does not (and should not) work this way. People don't value things they don't earn. Same principle applies here. This is very basic stuff -- this is a leadership failure.

9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Point is it is still teaching with patience with understanding and that’s what this generation needs. To me that’s leadership and maybe that’s why they chose him to coach this team during this turbulent post harden era. Likely he won’t be here for the next iteration of this team but he instilled character and a foundation for success not in wins but attitude and approach. I don’t think he is tactically a good coach but again I do not believe the Rockets hired him for that reason. They knew they were getting an offense minded guy with great character and patience and kindness and they needed someone who could lead this young core of players before moving on to a coach the team believes will lead this team and start winning. This likely was the plan.

10. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

lol, Bruh, you lost the locker room like 2 years ago.

anchel and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

"it matters"

LOOOOOL.

Sorry clown, you showing it so very obviously doesn't matter for so long, bred this disgusting environment.

Surprise he doesn't attend press conferences with his beg red nose on and face paint.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Again, just because you keep repeating the "a center who can't defend" lie doesn't make it true. Our guards have been significantly worse at defense.

Imanimal likes this.
  13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

How do you know they don’t respect him? Have there been reports of mutiny or more disrespect or altercations? Have there been reports of players not respecting his guidance and leadership? I haven’t seen them. Unless you have seen them.

14. Nook

Nook Member

I didn’t expect a lot of wins, but that isn’t what bothers me. What bothers me is poor decisions like putting KPJ in a position of leadership. A lack of improvement in basic fundamentals. A lack of discipline and a lack of effort. Even grading Silas on a curve, it’s bad.

Having said that, Silas has had to deal with a GM that is extremely meddlesome and an organization that doesn’t hold anyone accountable.

15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Your opinion lol. I base my assessment on how he plays. And I have written on this site why he hasn’t performed on that end. Again my assessment and opinion vs yours. It is what it is.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Goodness, why does every thread at least have to have one person in it who just doesn't see what everyone else sees.

Stephen Silas, is that you?

ROXTXIA, Imanimal and Mr Woods like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I showed stats. You showed nothing.

18. Nook

Nook Member

I have been told about them from people around the team. He had a player leave in the middle of the game and another refuse to reenter the game and they were punished with a one game suspension. He has deferred discipline to Lucas, which isn’t smart. Playing time has zero to do with effort given.
    It’s pretty clear this team has tuned out Coach Silas.

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

The Rockets got torched by Keegan Murray on dribble handoffs from Sabonis. We were supposed to fight over the pick and make Murray into ballhandler but Jabari did a piss poor job at it. Silas had Sengun in deep drop and made no adjustments.

It makes sense to not want to switch Sengun onto Fox in a pick and roll but when Murray is the ballhandler burning you all you have to do is switch the pick with Sengun. It’s not like Sengun wasn’t matched up with Murray on plenty of other possessions anyway.

The inflexibility of the defensive scheme here is what allowed 140 points, and to give this outburst and blame it all on the players afterwards is a new low. It’s difficult to give full effort when your coaching scheme is setting the players up for failure.

20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Sure i get it. It used to frustrate me but it is what it is and I have to think the organization has a plan and I assess it as targeting 23-24 to begin winning with a core in place composed of vets and these leftovers and possibly scoot or Victor. The past 2-3 years have been plugging and mixing matching and experimenting such as KPJ and Sengun.