1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans hire DeMeco Ryans as Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 31, 2023.

?

Do you like the hire of DeMeco Ryans?

This poll will close on Jan 31, 2025 at 3:26 PM.
  1. YES

97.2%
  2. NO

2.8%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I'd say this dovetails with something Kelvin Sampson said, "you can push them hard when they know you love them"
    Obviously, different culture between college and pros but I think the same sentiment is there.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

—Lot of work ahead of us but in a great spot. Can’t wait to get started with DeMeco.

—One of the things we’ll try to do is, however we build this staff, you want to try to develop continuity over a period of time. You can’t keep everyone forever but you want to make sure you have enough people in place. Kyle has done a great job in SF. Staff construction will be important.

—Philosophically, we believe in a lot of the same things. We’ve both had good fortune to be in good programs for an extended period of time. When you have core principles and beliefs, it gives you a foundation. One of the best answers he had yesterday was his perspective being in the draft room and 6th round process. He had enough self-awareness to see where his team was that this player over here (Elijah Mitchell) is someone that can help our team and makes more sense than having another LB in the room. He & I didn’t know each other. We knew of each other but not each other. When you go through this process, it gives you an opportunity to do a deeper dive on people. This is a people business. It starts with great people with great principles that have good process. You merge those together. In the end, it’s a collective effort. It’s not about one person, one individual. DeMeco was asked about QB. We’re not dancing around it. The reality is we have one QB. We know we’ll have 2-3 other players at that position on the team. We’re not at the end point there of who that’ll be or what that’ll look like but his overall understanding of team building, not necessarily just defense, as we took a deeper dive in the intricacies about what’s important, DeMeco has tremendous self a awareness. He understands football. His football intellect is very high. When you combine that all together, will we be perfect? Every decision? No. We have to be able to flip the page, OK what happened and make sure it doesn’t happen again and make good, smart decisions over the course of time. If we do that, we’ll be in a decent position. Does that mean we’ll win the division 8 years in a row? No. We share a lot of the same beliefs. It’ll be constructive dialogue. My responsibility is to support him in my role, whatever that entails and make sure the rest of the building within the football operation, we’re supporting the coaching staff, the players, providing the resources so they can go out there Sunday and feel confident and ready to go.

—Football is football. DeMeco’s background, he mentioned the different coaches that have impacted him. My situation, I had the good fortune of being in one place for 20 years. We’re all a product of our background. Our foundation is based on principles that we learned wherever we work and you accumulate those over time. The application of those principles, regardless of system or tree you grew up in, the core elements will be the same. In the end, we have to make it our brand of football, our program, what do we believe in and usually, it’s an accumulation of things you’ve learned over time. That’s natural. In my situation, when you’re in one spot for a long time, you just assume it’s just that or it’s this or that. Not necessarily. You have to have enough understanding and self awareness of what’s going, understand the league, understand there’s different ways to do things, there’s no right or wrong answer, what works for us, what do we believe in, how can we make it work here? That’s what we’re focused on.

—(Interview) It was very organic. He literally raced off the practice field and got in his office and we just started talking. Everyone gets caught up in interviews having a bunch of books or power point presentations or something ridiculous. In the end, it’s meant to be conversational. Give the candidate a chance to learn about us, us learn about him, then deep dive into football. What do you look for offensively? What’s important? Defensively, what’s your philosophy? It was interesting having a conversation about tackling, as an example. We weren’t a good tackling team this year. It was very poor. Conversely, SF was one of the best. They allowed the least amount of yards after contact of any team in the league. We had a discussion. He went through of here’s how we view it, here’s how we practice it, here’s how we drill it. You marry that up with how they play, you start to see things match up. It was an organic conversation. We just kept going back and forth. You touch on a myriad of different topics. It’s not one particular thing. The first interview, you don’t pull out a spreadsheet and go through 4-5 deep at each position. That’s probably more of a follow-up. Generally speaking, what type of coach, what type of coaches are you looking for, what’s important. You’re trying to get a general outline of the person, the individual, how they think, what they think is important coaching wise, what are their principles and you learn about the person and what makes them tick. It was very apparent in initial conversations this guy was basically the way everyone describes him. There’s not one person that we talked to, …literally everyone we talked to, it was the same thing. Then you match that up with the discussions, you start to go “Yup, this looks like it’s headed in the right direction.” There was a certain element of patience we had to display because of rules/parameters but in the end, we’re happy with the end result and now it’s time to go to work.

—(DeMeco was almost trying to close the deal “I want to come home. I want this job.” Is that normal for a coaching interview. Did that surprise you?) Every interview takes on its own life. One thing apparent was how sincere and heartfelt he was about this place, the organization and opportunity to be the coach here. … We gave him the opportunity there at the end. We hung up and it was kinda like “Man, everything he’s about, it’s genuine and sincere.” …

—(Did you get a sense he has a view of the whole picture maybe more so than other coordinators?) One thing he mentioned in the interview as illusion of complexity. When you watch how SF plays both O/D, you see that. No one motions/shifts more than Kyle but there’s a reason. There’s a purpose behind it. On defense, it’s the illusion of “We’re gonna do this.” He has a good feel for that. I was talking to Chester Pitts about this. If you do simple better and let’s say you make an adjustment with a LB, making a 6”-8” step to put him in a passing lane to create a pass breakup, that small adjustment gives you the opportunity to make a big play. You don’t want to have 5,000 different calls. You gotta have certain things you do well, core principles, core calls. Where it comes into play is situationally. Where you see more complexity is 3rd down and red area. … Football is a cat and mouse game but you don’t want to put players in position where they have 4,000 things in their head. When you watch how they play, the illusion of complexity manifests itself. They have certain things they do well and changeups out of it. That’s what the good teams/good staffs do. You have to morph into something different based on the opponent. One thing he mentioned is our job is to accentuate the strength of the players, put them in the best position to maximize their skills. … When you draft players, none of them are ready. Some may be further along than others but everyone has something to work on. Identify players with the right traits, are they tough minded, selfless, do they have a good work ethic, do they understand football, are they gonna take coaching? Whatever their physical attributes are, that’s where the staff will say “What can we do to help this player, how we put him in position to succeed?” In the end, it all has to fit together and the two of us believe in that.

Marteen, itzIce, Rudyc281 and 3 others like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

—(Stingley under DeMeco) Once we have the system in place, he’ll teach the defense or whoever the coordinator is. There will be certain parameters required of that position. When you watch how SF has played, Ward and Lenoir, they kinda mixed and matched. Times he’s on the LOS, times he’s off. Some might be the call. Some might be the opponent. Whatever the player does well, our job is to put the player in position to succeed. Derek is a very intuitive, very smart, instinctive football player that understands football, good work ethic, fast, good quickness, plays the ball really well.

—(Brandin Cooks?) Every player on the roster at some point, DeMeco and I will do a deeper dive on where the team is, who’s under contract. We talked about this with our players in our last team meeting, whatever your situation is, whatever your contract is, we’ll have a discussion. We won’t articulate or negotiate it through the media. A lot of respect for Brandin. Great player, has been in this league for a long time. We’ll work through our process and do what’s in the best interest of the Houston Texans. … Call it 4-6 weeks as we get ready for free agency. We have time to work through some things and have different discussions internally.

—(You mentioned 8 traits into being a good head coach) There’s probably more. There’s a thousand things that go into being successful at anything. Let’s evaluate the candidates through the prism of these 8-10 traits. Leadership, humility, tactician, strategy, there’s a few others that were in there. As you’re going through the process, we have to make an assessment where the candidate stacks up in those areas. It’s not limited to 8. Just maybe quantify these 8-10 and evaluate each candidate through that lens and make a decision on the data and metrics we accumulate. It’s data accumulation, analyze the data and make a good decision based on the information you have. (Seth: I won’t rest until it’s algorithms out there on the field. Nick: There’s some people that want that. Daryl Morey believes in that but it’s more applicable to his sport. Nick & Seth continue to talk. …)

—(Have you and DeMeco discussed your role on game day?) We haven’t gotten into that. I don’t care what my role is on game day. I’m here to support, to help the team. I don’t want to get in the way. I think I can be a resource and help. I’ve had the good fortune of doing a lot of different things on game day. I’m not calling plays. I’m there to observe, listen, learn and watch so after the game when he and I are having discussions, it can be constructive. I love football. I love everything that goes into it. I have a decent understanding of schematics. I want to help in any way possible. … I don’t want to get in the way. I want to help. I want to be a resource. We‘ll work through some of those dynamics and whatever he thinks makes the most sense, we’ll do. There’s always give and take on everything. I love game day. When you understand a) your team, how you want to play and then understand your opponent, that’s what I crave, that’s what I enjoy. That’s what I’ve learned over the course of time. … My job has always been a conduit from the coaching staff to the scouting staff and be the bridge. “Hey, what happened on this play? or “Who’s responsibility was this?” They can’t all run into DeMeco’s office. Hopefully I can give an informed opinion on it. We’ll get to that when it’s appropriate but I’m willing to do whatever to help the team.

—(You weren’t wearing socks) I did have socks. They’re ankle socks. I didn’t go in barefoot. That’s not good hygiene. My youngest daughter said “Daddy, you’re not wearing a tie!” I did have socks.

—(Which draft board are teams using?) Trade chart? Most teams are still using the Jimmy chart but they’ve modified to more of an analytical chart. There’s a traditional chart and analytics chart. Quite frankly, it creates for difficult conversations because the values don’t always match up. … Jimmy’s chart still has relevance.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Not seeing how the Caserio interview was short on information. Sure he elaborates a lot but your average talk radio listener isn’t a football savant. Seems like some butthurt in some corners that he helped provide an attractive situation for Demeco and the two of them will be working together.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Not butthurt, at all. Just not a fan. And I find his interviews insufferable. I can’t imagine having to work with someone who speaks and acts like that. Here’s hoping DeMeco runs him out the door as soon as possible.

8. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Also if you really listen you get a lot of insights into the things that neither David Culley or Lovie Smith were doing as a coach. They weren’t good teachers, they didn’t listen to other voices in the building, they didn’t use analytics, they weren’t adaptable, and they weren’t modern in their way of thinking.

Cstyle42 and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

If you travel around the world and you work with different kinds of people you’re going to hear different ways of relaying information. A true leader like DeMeco can work with anyone from anywhere as long as that person is genuine in their desire to be collaborative. I believe Caserio wants to be collaborative.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I listened to the entire press conference and I am beyond rejuvenated. I’m super excited for the Ryans era! Apparently Denver wanted him too. And another exciting thing: he actually wants to be here. Just over the moon about this.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Except the 49ers have probably the best offensive mind in the NFL, have been a quarterback away from winning for years now, and invested a ton to move up and get a top of the draft QB.

12. TFP

TFP Member

Let's not go overboard. This hiring isn't about some promoting a happy family or lack thereof. It's about winning football games. Period. And that's all that will matter in the end.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Man did we hit the jackpot makes the last couple of years worth it

gatsby, Cstyle42, zeeshan2 and 2 others like this.
  15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Food for thought – Lance Z has been saying that he spoke with Omar Khan recently and that he was going to be the new GM of the Texans before Caserio was brought in, and that he would’ve hired Jim Caldwell to be the coach. In that scenario, maybe Deshaun Watson doesn’t demand a trade, and the Texans are stuck with him and his sexual assaults/suspension/etc. Caldwell may still be the coach and the Texans would have missed out on Demeco Ryans as well as a shot at a new QB at the top of the draft. On the bright side though, a minority coach would not have been fired after one year I guess?

Rudyc281 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I love the hire, don't get me wrong. How could you not?

But the Texans really are playing the marketing genius role right now, and the fans are eating that sh*t up.

BigShasta, clos4life, gatsby and 3 others like this.
  17. Fantasma Negro

When you've been the butt of every joke for the last five years, immediately upon a reprieve, you milk that cow til it dries up. And the fans deserve to feel good about their team for once in a long time, we don't want the party to stop until it has to.

18. thedude077

thedude077 Member

If they were playing the marketing, they would've hire Tom Brady as their head coach.

19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

You ain't lying. Hell... I'm eating it up. In my head I've already set my expectations that next year will more than likely be a 6-9 win season. It's significant improvement but I can be patient with Demeco. It is a true rebuild.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Well the Texans were stuck with him while he sat out which ended up being considerably longer than his suspension. And if Caldwell is still the coach, that means we weren't playing rock bottom football the last two season. I'm really glad that POS is gone but the Texans bottomed out as hard as any franchise I can remember.

raining threes likes this.