1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone's strategy - Green & Sengun vs Mobley +

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I really think it's far too early to make the proclamation that one or the other is the superior player, they are much different players being asked to do much different things and one has much better talent around him, making it easier for him to fit in. You can compare them all you want but that doesn't make the comparison a fair one.

I do worry about Green sometimes, he was just so lacking fundamentally coming into the league - he had so much to learn and still does. He's an athlete learning basketball and all his upside is based off of the athlete becoming a basketball player ....
    Reading that almost seems funny to me because NBA big men generally take longer to develop ..... but this goes to show just how young and poorly developed Green was as a prospect. AAU ball and a Covid shortened season in the Overtime Elite league just wasn't much of a preparation for the Giant Leap to the NBA.

I guess the saving grace of it all is Green's work ethic, he's a gym rat who's doing all he can to reach that potential that seems so far away sometimes.

I don't think it's really fair to compare Green & Mobley, despite having had the choice between them - their circumstances are just too different. Mobley had a much easier road to travel than Green.

I'm not at all shocked, if you go back to my draft evaluation of both players, Tari was one of my top players while I Jabari was pretty much a last resort at #3 .... Last year I was one of about three people on here who wanted Scottie Barnes.

Actually the analysis shows that the top pick has developed into a star more often than any other, followed by the 3rd pick.
    You need look no further than the history of the top pick going back to the late 1950's and the sheer number of HOFer's who were picked at #1 overall.

1958 - Elgin Baylor
    1960 - Oscar Robinson
    1961 - Walt Bellamy
    1968 - Elvin Hayes
    1969 - Lew Alcindor (Kareem)
    1970 - Bob Lanier
    1974 - Bill Walton
    1975 - David Thompson
    1979 - Magic
    1982 - James Worthy
    1983 - Ralph Sampson
    1984 - hAkeem
    1985 - Patrick Ewing
    1987 - David Robinson
    1992 - Shaq.
    1993 - Chris Webber
    1996 - Pracitce .... Err Allen Iverson.
    1997 - Timmy Duncan
    2002 - Yao
    2003 - Lebron

With every one listed prior to Lebron being in the HOF and both Lebron a certainty to join them.

More recently -

2004 - Dwight Howard
    2008 - Derrick Rose
    2009 - Blake Griffin
    2011 - Flat Earth .... Errr Kyrie.
    2012 - Anthony Davis
    2015 - Karl Anthony Towns
    2019 - Zion
    2020 - Anthony Edwards

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  2. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mobley would have the same fans freaking out about JG and JS …freaking out about him… Garland makes Mobley look way better than he actually is

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed on taking the best player available. I wanted Mobley, and thought that one day he would be the best player in the League.
    Still do.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Stop it, EVERYTHING has been done to prioritize Green, he just sucks and it's no one else's fault. He's allowed to do whatever he wants whenever he wants on the court and always has....if the team had any real accountability, Green would be coming off the bench and having to earn minutes.

Sengoat28 likes this.
  5. cml750

cml750 Member

I am not sure it was planned that way but considering we got a MUCH better player than Mobley in Sengun and Green may one day pan out to be a good maybe great NBA player, I am very happy about it. Sengun is easily the best player from the whole 2021 draft.

AroundTheWorld and Sengoat28 like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Mobley the best player in the league one day? Seriously? C’mon…

Mobley’s defense is so great, yet Cleveland fell off a cliff on that end last year when Allen went down

Mobley gets the overwhelming majority of his buckets created for him, and he has Garland and now Mitchell to do that for him

look at ROY Scottie Barnes…he looks like he’d get exposed if he had to create for himself as much as Jalen Green

Jalen Green is being given too much offensive responsibility for what he’s capable of doing right now…Mobley and Barnes can sit back and just be role players surrounded by vets and good, established players in this league

7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I've also yet to see either Mobley or Barnes show the same flashes of just flat out pouring in buckets the same way that Green has when he's actually on. Sure the consistency is off but all these people calling Green a bust need to actually look at how many kids his age have put up the numbers he's putting up when he does have a great game. Green's got a long way to go, but you can't teach the things he has naturally, that's why his ceiling is as high as it is, and anybody who doesn't see it is flat out kidding themselves. Hell, opposing teams announcers see it more than the "fans" who supposedly watch him day in day out, it's nuts.

harold bingo and Reeko like this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Imagine u drafted green and u give him a rookie coach who has shown to us that he is utterly garbage at coaching and can't even properly assess sengun properly. Man was so fking dumb enough to think bruno is a better starter just to appease KPJ.

To top it off u force a guy who has never played pg in his life, to b the offense cog to assist green.

We had a big man in C. Wood who was a selfish diva hindering sengun mins taking up everybody shots, refusing to play as a big man with Green deferring to these both Wood and KPJ. Guess what happen when we got rid of C. Wood, Green played better what a surprise.

Green being the priority my ass, this has been silas and stone's project for the KPJ redemption arc that failed miserably and everyone has to suffer for it.

We have a team without any pg, a team with no vets, a coach who can't coach but oh yea the org is doing everything in its power support Green and Smith to succeed in the league. Thank god we have sengun to righten this cluster fk. If it wasn't for him, we would still b trying to make the head honcho offense work.

#28 DatRocketFan, Feb 3, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

But the issue is Jalen is a negative on defense, where Mobley is one of the best rim protectors in the league. Plus you can't really discount the garbage buckets Mobley gets every game, he's so long, with a great touch around the rim that he will score at least 10-12 points a game on tips or rim running like a Capela.

10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Rim protection is heavily overrated compared to scoring. I'll take Harden over Mutombo every single day of the week if I'm choosing somebody to build a team around. And that includes the times when James didn't even try on defense.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah but Green is not a great scorer so it's a bit of a moot point isn't it?

At the moment Mobley has more consistent scoring just on random tip ins vs Green who seems to be struggling with every bucket

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Mobley scored a career high 38 points, but had to make a whopping 19 field goals to do it…and 15 of those 19 made shots were assisted

most guys, if they’re making 19 shots, they’re scoring around 50 points at least

Mobley’s scoring is dependent on how well Garland and Mitchell can assist him

Scottie Barnes just looks like a versatile role player that can’t shoot right now

Jalen Green has a whole host of issues, but he is in the worst situation by far out of the 3…I wonder how he’d be developing if he was in Toronto where they find undrafted guys like Van Vleet and 27th picks like Siakam and turn them into very good players…hell, OG was taken 23rd, and his price is 3 picks on the trade market

Dobbizzle likes this.
  13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

This Rockets team with mobley will still b sht. Mobley right now is averaging 15.1 pts with great playmakers feeding him the ball as he play third fiddle at best on a Cavs team. Can Mobley carry the offense load without having a real pg feeding him? fk no.

Kpj can't even carry the scoring load b/c he's too focus on trying to b a pg.

Green has shown the ability to score 30-40 pts in game without even having a real pg, imagine what he can with someone that can actually make his life easier and feedin him the ball. Man is averaging 21.7 pts without a real pg, let that sink in.

14. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Could you please tell me how that effort failed?

Stone gave 2 FRP and sent Wood away for Sengun PT. I am not great Stone fan but we have to give him credit what he did for Sengun.

Someone said that Eli Witus was behind of Sengun coup. Even that was the case, Stone listened him.

Give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's how one sided the situation is, Green is pretty poor scorer....but it's literally the best thing he does. When it comes to most other parts of his game he's arguably not even NBA quality.

I'm not sure why people keep pretending that he's played well overall, sure he's had a handful of good games over the year and a half he's been in the league, but that's about it. I guess his super fans focus only on those few games and ignore everything else.

Sengoat28 likes this.
  16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Why does Mobley need to carry the offensive load. I don't have my delusions about Mobley, I don't think he will ever be a super star or develop enough offense to be on the tiers of KG and AD. But he's one of the best defensive bigs in the league already and is quite masterful at using his length and athleticism around the rim. Even if he scores 10 points a game, he's still impactful player on a contender.

Has Green shown he can carry the offensive load? Sure he can has shown the ability to score 30-40 points once in a blue moon, what about the rest of the time where he's a negative on both offense and defense.

The problem with Green isn't that he can't put up 40 points, the problem he has is that he can't consistently put up 17-19 points a game with good efficiency, because he lacks fundamental understanding of basketball and is very weak physically.

I would rather Green average 15 points a game on 60 TS% than 22 points a game on 53 TS%

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Green w/o a pg/playmaker
    0-9 2
    10-19 18
    20-29 19
    30-39 7
    40-49 2

vs
    Mobley w/ a pg/playmaker
    0-9 7
    10-19 35
    20-29 9
    30-39 1

We drafted green to carry the offensive load b/c we need a scorer but set him up for literal failure, no pg, no coach. If we drafted mobley, do u think he can do it and succeed with these conditions?

Smith was lauded for his defense, and he looks like a$$ playing with kpj. i truly believe if we drafted mobley, he would look worst than he does with the Cavs. U address the pg situation and coaching situation, u would b a fool to think Green numbers wouldn't b much improved.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

there is a clear cap on his offense and ceiling as a player if he needs to be assisted on almost every bucket

How impactful is Mobley’s defense if he doesn’t have Jarrett Allen alongside him? What would all his defense be doing right now in Houston?

How many young guards aren’t a negative on defense? I’m more concerned with Jalen Green’s jumper and not learning how to play the game than I am his defense.

he has shown some encouraging signs despite his struggles…6 free throw attempts a game, and almost 4 assists a game with a 13% turnover rate in year 2…he had a stretch of games where he dropped 6,6, 7, 6, 5, 4, 5, 9, and 7 assists…he has had 7 30 point games and 2 40 point games before we’ve hit the ASB

now if he can continue to build from here and get his free throws to 8 a game, his assists to 5-6, and his 3 pointer to even just 36% on volume, then we’ll have something interesting simmering in the crockpot

he’ll only continue to get stronger…more skilled

Can we get him some actual coaching and some vets?

since day 1, he has just been out on the court like a chicken with his head cut off

19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

No he doesn't, he's averaging a pedestrian 15.3 ppg, Green's averaging 21.3ppg. Do you understand how counting works?

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Wanted Mobley - still do.

Wanted Murray over Jabari - but was ok with Jabari to be fair.....

Seems it is wiser to take the further developed player than one that you have to develop yourself.

DD