1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

The Astros have plenty of bats what they need is a catcher for 2024 and beyond. As for a DH our best option is probably Diaz.

2. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

It because many fans staring at Malady's offensive numbers as some of the worst in baseball. They see a guy that like Vazquez and they think he must be nearly an all star with a .280 batting average. I've argued this point on here more than I care to remember.

Perez would be an actually potential beast in this line up and is still every bit a good defensive catcher. Most likely the trade price is too steep. But it doesn't hurt too ask. My guess is a deal won't be done now but if Maldy gets hurt or the kids cannot step up then mid season they call the Royals up or another team and get it done. It's the best way to conserve trade bait. Never know what might happen or who steps up.

3. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Perez value is from the KC side as a fan favorite. Yes he is good behind the plate and hits very well. But his overall value isn't high. Money+contract+Age+Length+injury history drops his value alittle. That said I would gladly trade for the guy. A Package would be hard to construct because of his value to KC. I would think Lee would be a must and if we have to take his entire salary then they need to take Maton. MEYERS would be included I believe. But I also think they would have to let us have Barlow. We could almost think Blanco could be in that deal aswell along with Christian Gonzalez and Perez 3B. Would that be enough? Idk but I think it would be a head scracher

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Disagree about what the Royals would get as a return.

They are getting rid of players who will be free agents after 2023. No way they accept Maton. (who happens to be in every trade you suggest) And Astros need Maton to get through the season keeping the bullpen fresh.

They hope to contend in 2024. They are better with Perez for 2024 unless they get multiple players that will very likely contribute within 1-2 seasons.

They have no use for guys like Cristian Gonzalez and Joe Perez who are slow developers who are at least 2 years away but must be put on the 40 man roster this or next season and are a coin flip to ever be MLB players

They will take players that have high probability of making MLB like Gilbert or guys who are already MLB players but have several years of control.

If they are offered spare parts they will just keep Perez

#9284 IdStrosfan, Feb 2, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  5. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Then keep him. His age and salary plus injury history is a joke at best. His value is more to KC fans then any one else. The Royals aren't trying to compete. They are trying to get free money from Revenue sharing. In a couple years that 1B they have will be traded. They are a farm team for other teams to pick and choose from. PERIOD

6. Buck Turgidson

Range. Glove. Arm.

Keep people from going 1st-3rd (2nd home, etc...), or just basically cut off all extra bases. Like you said...arm strength, and again, ability to cover ground.

LF is, well, different. For starters, it's closer to 3B

whiskeyred likes this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Understood. I'm not saying he is worth it or that the Astros should do it.

But the Royals have no reason to trade him and every reason to keep him.

They aren't going to the Astros trying to trade him.

The Astros are going to the Royals asking for him.

They aren't giving him away unless the deal improves the team in 2024 and if Perez is subtracted then at least 2 of the players included need to be average or better MLB players in 2024.

Otherwise it makes no sense for the Royals.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’d love to have him, but no way I’m giving up any of our starting pitchers except urquidy. Brown s absolutely off the table for a 33 year old catcher.

juicystream likes this.
  9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Not sure I’d give up Urquidy in a deal for him either. Starting pitching depth, quality SP, is extremely valuable

everyday eddie and the shark like this.
  10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think the Astros are in quite a pickle and need to overpay for a catcher sometime between now and next spring training.

They have all but announced (by their actions and leaks) that they do not believe Lee or Diaz is the #1 catcher in 2024 and if another catcher in the system is the catcher of the future, then he is at least 2 years away.

Therefore, they must bring in an MLB starting catcher who fits their needs within the next 12 1/2 months. There simply aren't many of them and most of them aren't/won't be available.

This means they probably need to take a big swing at Perez and make KC seriously consider giving him up.

As an Astros fan it sucks, and may hurt for a few seasons 2025+ but will help in 2023 and be best in 2024.

The Royals are in a winnable division and have a good amount of young talent. They have identified 2023 as a buildup season since they have been trading away players who could help them but are FA after 2023. That means they are hoping to compete in 2024.

They will want players who are highly likely to help in 2024 and have several years of control. This means prearb players and top prospects who are already at AA or AAA.

The obvious starting point is either Lee or Diaz since they both fit this definition and the Astros have all but decided that neither will be the starting catcher. Lee has the better chance to turn it around and also skills to be a backup if needed. If he's a DH Diaz is not needed with the other players on the roster.

Starting and relief pitching are the deepest positions on this team. Starters are more valuable and this team can absorb the loss of one of the back end starters. They may insist on Brown, but I think Garcia has the best mix of proven experience, upside, and remaining control.

In a vacuum, Garcia alone is probably more valuable than Perez because of years of control and salary but in this scenario even with Diaz its not enough.

Relief pitching is also an area of strength. Enoli Paredes is a classic change of scenery candidate. He has big league stuff and has had success in MLB before but has been passed on Astros depth chart but still has several years of control. He has also made it known he wants a new start away from the Astros.

Since Enoli has spent the majority of his time in AAA for 2 seasons, there is risk that he is a AAAA pitcher and therefore the Royals will want another high probability lottery ticket.

Colin Barber may be the best hitter in the Astros farm system and has a very high ceiling. But he projects as more of a left fielder, injuries have hampered his development, and new CFers brought into the organization seem to have passed him up. The Royals could see him as the next Alex Gordon and possibly be in KC by late 2024.

So I say RIP OFF THE BAND AID and make KC a deal they almost certainly must accept.

Luis Garcia, Yainer Diaz, Enoli Paredes, and Colin Barber for Salvador Perez.

It may set the Royals up as contenders in the AL Central for years, but as long as the rotation stays relatively healthy the 4 players given up should not hurt. And the catcher is filled for 2-3 seasons until they can identify or develop the future starter.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yeah, I’m iffy on that too.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sorry I’d rather take a chance on just signing another defensive catcher or keeping Lee (good defensively) than giving up Garcia. Garcia has been very good, has years left and young enough to take another step up. I think Paredes plus guys like Myers and Barber and another pitching prospect should do it. I’d think about urquidy as a sub for one of the three, if it takes that. I would also not do this if it any way prevents us from extending Tucker, Bregman, or Javier

prospecthugger likes this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would be willing to take on Perez's contract, but trading Garcia or Brown for him, f**k that. I would think long and hard about Urquidy.

The Astros just won the WS, and won the pennant in 21 with Maldonado. Overpaying is what you do when you are desperate to improve, not when you wish a spot at the bottom of the order was a little more productive.

Wulaw Horn, Nook, BlindHog and 3 others like this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

That's a reasonable take.

I hate to give up a starting pitcher especially after losing Verlander.

But I think that Framber, McCullers, Javier, Brown, and Urquidy are all good enough to get this team to October with Bielak, Murray, and possibly Whitley making spot starts if needed.

If one gets hurt and misses a Block of starts then a trade may be needed.

I think that Garcia isn't a factor in the playoffs anyway.

The catcher situation is dire for 2024+

Perez is a case of a significant improvement at an offensively weak position.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

But they are desperate

I think they are Desperate for 2024 and do not want to wait until it becomes a black hole.

The options are almost none and I think they feel they have 0 catchers for 2024 and have been trying all off season to fill it.

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Is the catcher position dire just on the offensive side? The ninth batter in the lineup is not as important as a good defensive catcher and game caller. The Astros are very much proof of that. I’m disappointed in Lee as an offensive producer, but I haven’t written him off defensively. Every year there are veteran defensive catchers that can be had. Perez would be a fantastic get since he excels at both, but no way do I think we should gamble with our starting pitching to acquire that. Maybe Urquidy, but that also is a bit iffy to me and only if you are pretty convinced we have a next man up in the minors.

white lightning likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I wonder what it would take to get both Salvador Perez and Scott Barlow from KC. That would really give Houston the deepest roster in the league in my opinion. Possibly the deepest bullpen in league history.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

No it is not just dire on the offensive side.

I love Maldy despite the toothpick he takes to the plate.

This is about the Astros organization feeling that neither Lee nor Diaz will ever be the starting catcher. And if it was about Lee's bat there would be no issue. It is about the other things - like game planning, film study, psychology and managing the pitcher that worry the Astros, not his bat. ( those are examples I do not know specifics)

Right now the Astros have ZERO catchers for 2024 and that is a huge issue.

Though I must admit that I still have hope for Lee. I'm just not sure if his stint in Houston last season resulted in a burned bridge. The Astros are acting like they don't share my hope.

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would like to clarify something.

I do not want the Astros to trade away the players I think they will need to in order to get a catcher like Salvador Perez.

I really like Luis Garcia, Yainer Diaz, and Colin Barber especially and would love to see how their careers develop in Houston and what memories they could give me.

But I think the likelihood that the 2024 starting catcher is currently in the Astros organization is very remote.

In the Astros organization catcher is a position that requires much much more than on field performance. "The tools of ignorance" have no place here.

If there is a way to have the 2024 starting catcher work with Maldy in 2023 that is a huge advantage.

The Astros have considered and tried to bring in many many catchers this offseason and failed.

There are few options left and the benefits of acting now vs waiting in hopes that there is a good option later are too many to ignore.

jim1961 likes this.
  20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member