1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mo Bamba gives us what we need...with upside.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 18, 2022.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Random armchair GMs that look up wingspans as their primary scouting tool not convincing enough for you?

AroundTheWorld and groovemachine like this.
  2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

we’re not at odds on this; I’m frustrated that there’s less, much less, progress than I’d like, expect.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ditto.

DD

xiki likes this.
  4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This year's been a wash, due to the Magic being loaded on the front line with no minutes available. Last year though he had his best year by far.

G 71
    Min 25.7
    Pts 10.6
    FG% 48.0
    3PT% 38.1
    reb 8.1
    as 1.2
    ST .5
    BLOCKS 1.7 No D, eh?

Watchng him, it's obvious he brings interior D/rebounding, and can knock it down from deep.

This guy can put up 10, 10, and 2 for us for quiite awhle. Again, he compliments what we have.

And, the best thing is that he can be had for a song relative to what he brings. 10 mil NG contract for the upcomng year. While Orlando won't move their 24 yr old #6 pick at the deadline for pennies pon the dollar, he can almost assuredly be had relatvely cheap. A new contract eventually wherever he goes will likely be part of the bargain.

jch1911 and DaDakota like this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I hear ya, but block numbers don’t mean he’s a good defender. There are plenty of guys that can block shots but can’t defend worth sh#t. I guess I’m hoping for defensive stat gurus to prove the case that he’s a difference making player on D.

I just haven’t watched him enough to make an informed judgement. But from what I’ve seen, I don’t get the sense he’s a good defender. I’ve read some articles and the evaluations are mixed defensively.

6. Plowman

Supporting Member

7. albuster

albuster Member

I guess you need to ask Silas that basic question. He has athletic players in KPJ and JG to man the perimeter but Silas should answer the question of why it is so porous. The perimeter and the whole defense last night and the night before that were relatively good, the rim protection was also not bad, so why can't they do that consistently?

8. albuster

albuster Member

Very well stated. Nice one.

AroundTheWorld and hakeem94 like this.
  9. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I look forward to when Mo Bamba is out of the league in a couple years so Rockets fans will stop talking about how we need him. The guy sucks. He has no motor. He has all the talent and size in the world, but no motor whatsoever. He just is not a good player at all. Bruno Fernando is better. Garuba is better. I am sure the G League has several better options.

He's got probably two more years left in the league. Someone is going to give him a decent contract next year (room exception sort of level) to take a flyer on him. Year after that he'll probably get a minimum somewhere for a last chance, and then that'll be it. He'll be out of the league.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Plow, except for the 3-ball, where might the guy exceed BruYes?

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

bu but but his ceiling is......LOL

clutchdabear likes this.
  12. Plowman

Supporting Member

He's a role player, fool...who fills needs, and there's an overlay...as to talent, skills,contract, and what it'll cost to get him.

#152 Plowman, Feb 4, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  13. omgTHEpotential

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Thanks Plowman. sounds like he’s a decent defender, but not great. I try to remind myself that it always takes bigs longer to develop, so I get that there may still be some upside there. But the biggest factor is the player’s mentality and work ethic. Does he want to be great? Is he willing to put in the work? These would be my biggest concerns. But if we are just looking for a backup big with size and upside, I can see taking a chance. I don’t think you want to give up anything significant for him though. Maybe something like the Milwaukee pick.

Plowman likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I would trade KPJ and whatever for him and whatever.

16. Rokman

Rokman Member

I know y'all are gonna want to ban me for proposing this but I'd be willing to part with Gary Bird for Mo Bamba. I know, I know!!! Who the hell would give up Gary Bird but I think Bamba has upside that we're not seeing yet and sometimes you gotta give up something of worth and just take a flier on a prospect. Let the riots commence.

DaDakota, subtomic and Aruba77 like this.
  17. NewAge

NewAge Member

I can see it as a type of a hopefully “Markanen" trade, hoping for a pop.

Plowman and DaDakota like this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well I think we can honestly say that Green and KPJ lack effort on D, and should be held accountable.

DD

albuster and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

3 years of perfection, and there's not a single player that even projects to the first option on a championship caliber roster.

Most people (especially the kind of people that produce teams that win) would call this a failure.

NewAge likes this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

But yet, all Silas and others talked about were always Alpi's alleged deficiencies on D, when the guards were the actual problem all along.

Ankara1923 likes this.