1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Happens to Sengun When KPJ Comes Back?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Jan 23, 2023.

?

What Will Stephen Silas Do?

1. Play Through Sengun

31 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. Revert Back to Previous Offense

60 vote(s)
    40.5%
  3. Combination of the 2

26 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Doesn't Matter We'll Still Get Blown Out

31 vote(s)
    20.9%
  1. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I get this argument but I'm hesitant to really buy into it because these things are always true until someone disproves it. They said the same thing about Curry and the warriors, lots of people (and most famously Barkley) said that jump shooting teams can't win in the playoffs, and Curry will never win a ring. And then they did, they won a bunch of them. And then more recently people said it about Giannis, tons of people said he can't win a ring because he "has no bag" and no jumpshot. And then the dude drops 50 and wills his team to victory in one of the most dominant finals performances of all time.

I don't really know if Embiid or Jokic will win one, but I don't think it's impossible. And I don't think their post play is somehow a detriment to their team, or that it "doesn't work" in the postseason. I just think it's really hard to win a championship no matter how you play.

AroundTheWorld, Boii, NewAge and 9 others like this.
  2. maj21

maj21 Member

Stfu, nobody was talking to you. Me and @cmoak1982 chat quite often on here. We’re just ****ing around, neither of us are serious. Stay in your lane, pal!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m serious, I’ll beat you up

4. maj21

maj21 Member

In your dreams, Cena!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

you can also ask the question for Lillard and many others.

6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I wonder what will happen to kpj when he returns, not Sengun?

Ankara1923 likes this.
  7. maj21

maj21 Member

Embiid a lil different bc he’s a good defender. Great points overall though

harold bingo likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

We’re in the freedom of movement era. 3&D wins.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Patrick Fertitta has been pushing that for awhile now.......

That's the way I envision this panning out. Everyone sharing it. KPj will comply...easy fix.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is absolutely in the conversation.

His "idiot" fans include names like Durant, Jokic, Edwards, and Giannis. They can see how good he is. Do they know basketball? Apparently not as much as rocketchamp on Clutchfans.

Also, it is not very nice to name-call people who disagree with you. That goes for the Houston Rockets fans that love Alperen Sengun's game, too. Let's try to keep Clutchfans a little bit classy, eh? Yeesh.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We are also a copy-cat league and always have been... That is not always the way to go.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

When nobody on the team is hitting shots and you're falling behind how is feeding the post a good idea? 3>2 right? KPJ gets scapegoated because its always this convenient "he isos too much - he freezes guys out" argument when nobody around him can make the open shot. If guys were actually completing assists for the kid everyone would be singing a different tune.

When the team sucks as bad as it does as a whole in the shooting department I'd rather have my best shooters taking shots. Feed the post early? Sure! Make it a part of the package, but it cant be what you rely on. Its why Sengun becoming a threat from 3 is vital for everyone on this roster. Good coaches will take away the post game and if the defense is sagging off a non threatening shooter it clutters the space for others to get to the rim and hopefully create a free throw advantage.

This formula is proven not sure why guys are being obtuse in order to keep Sengun on a pedestal thinking the glory days of each team having a post threat are coming back - THEY'RE NOT! Alpie is a great player - will be a vital piece to a championship puzzle, but if he's our franchise guy then you have to hope that Jalen or KPJ or whoever else can become consistently dynamic scorers that can take games over from all 3 levels when necessary in the playoffs.

edit: KPJ WILL COMPLY --- you are 100% right. He's done everything this team has asked of him. He plays off ball great when needed so to think he's just out there disregarding his teammates and going off script is just more subjective assumptions that he wouldnt accept a lesser role or even a 6th man role because of continued bias of him and his previous transgressions.

#232 Verbal Christ, Feb 2, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    DaDakota, ApacheWarrior and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I hate posters who use lack of titles won as a way to push their narratives.
    Embiid and jokic never won a ring. Centers with post game can't win it all. Post game is truly dead.

Quite a nonsensical position

Boii likes this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Exactly

KPj was asked to focus on playing more point guard than shooting guard much like
    Marcus Smart in Boston. We've seen Marcus Smart go from 5 assists last season
    to 7 assists per game this year. Smart is somewhere around 27 years old though.

It's a sacrifice for the team where instead he and Green could be going for 30 points
    each like they did at the end of the season in 21/22.

Josh Christopher has been playing more like a shooting guard just trying to get his.
    Doesn't pass enough.....but the job requires being a scoring threat to draw multiple
    defenders to open up a shooter on the perimeter of cutter/slasher. KPj has to be a
    threat to score as well and he is a 3-tier level scorer.

It's when KPj is trying to buy time waiting for someone to get open is when
    KPj moves across the lane and puts up a shot across his body that I would
    frown against. Too often teammates are ball watching and not moving.

Fans here on CF's are always dreaming of making a center the main point guard.

Today's game encourages position-less basketball where everyone is a point:
    Guard, SG, PF, Center. Everyone passing and sharing the ball. For some time
    I feel SOF' are only content if Sengun is made, "The Guy." Won't settle for less.

Here is an article from Jan 10, 2023...evolution of the point guard. I've often
    equated KPj as being on a trajectory as D Fox, SGA, others.
    It notes KPj since the Bulls win:
    KPj: 22.8 points...49.2 percent shooting...42.3 from deep...6.4 assists...5.9 rebs
    per game.

https://www.si.com/nba/rockets/news/houston-rockets-kevin-porter-jr-growth-point-guard-stephen-silas

NBA is evolving.....I try to stay ahead of the curve. As you may have said recently,
    Sengun is a part of contributor, hopefully a piece of a whole unit working together.
    Greenleaf also said it last night on his channel. But to push Sengun to the head of
    the class so abruptly is a recipe to fail. But apparently it sells tickets, shirts and
    Bobbleheads. Which Tilman needs the proceeds as well.

I doubt I get my way and have Sengun shipped out to avoid a power struggle and
    I doubt KPj haters get their way as KPj is playing less than 100 games at PG
    and putting up decent numbers all-in-all. Team will need to find a happy median.

Zen Tabak, DaDakota and Verbal Christ like this.
  15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Hopefully Silas realizes the KPJ Green combo isn’t working and relegates him to the bench as 6th man 2 guard which he could excel there.

King1 likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Green to the bench is a good idea, you are bold for bringing it up, kudos.

DD

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Ship out Green and ship out Sengun to “open the door” for Porter. With all due respect, are you guys off your collective rockers?

Easy, pippendagimp, RudyTBag and 9 others like this.
  18. CXbby

CXbby Member

OP asking the wrong question. It’s “what happens to kpj when kpj comes back?” Nothing will happen to Sengun.

Stephen_A, kubli9 and King1 like this.
  19. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Great post. Anyone who says an MVP calibre player (ANY MVP calibre player) can't will a team to a championship with another star in his prime is just pedaling bs.

Also, there's absolutely no indication that Sengun won't be a good 3pt shooter or that he won't be a good defender. We've already in 1.5 seasons gone from "He's Enes Kanter" to "his defense won't be good enough to win a title". Some people won't see progress if it smacked them in the face.

Boii, NewAge and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As always, KPJ will be blamed for literally everything negative that happens on the team when he returns by the same stupid people who blamed him for literally everything negative that happened on the team before he got hurt.

What will happen on the court depends upon what he's asked to do, but I expect he'll continue to play as the second best player on the team.

This season, we're tanking, so we need Tank Commander Green out there to keep ensuring losses, anything after this season depends on what happens in the draft.