1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Maybe they all have a chronic degenerative condition that will sap their future earning potential… or they’ve been convinced they do.

Who knows…

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They have players that want financial security, and to get paid earlier. I think they are deals that make sense for both sides. All were 3 years or more away from FA aside from the guys they traded for, which they had to know in advance about extending them. I don't know what is offered to any of our players, but would Tucker be inclined to take 10/$250M? Would Hunter Brown do 7/$70M. Who knows?

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My guess is that a few of the Braves as prospects signed income pooling contracts. Income pooling allows prospects safety as not all the propsects are going to bust. However, when it comes to future salary for the guys that are great, they are only getting a most of their future earnings. There is much less incentive to fight for every penny, and a lot of incentive to get money sooner as after a certain amount, their pay checks are being split up to everyone in the pool (edit I should say a portion of their paychecks. Probably 10-20%).

#9123 Joe Joe, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

It’s just so different for every player

A guy like Tucker has never been poor a day in his life

A guy like Correa got a big bonus after being drafted, he knows he is already set for life, which makes it a lot easier to gamble on a big free agent deal

Some of our youth neither grew up with money nor signed big bonus deals. There are several players on the Astros right now that if something happened to where they could never play baseball again in no way are they set for life financially, those guys would have way more to gain from a big extension

raining threes and Wulaw Horn like this.
  5. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I believe the Astros will come out of Spring training with eight potential starters. That is the number generally considered to be needed to get through a season.
    Five established starters.
    F Valdez*
    C Javier
    L McCullers
    L Garcia
    J Urquidy
    Two sixth starters / multi inning relievers
    B Abreu
    H Brown
    Two Minor league starters on the forty man roster.
    F Whitley
    JP France

The bullpen will consist of seven or eight men depending on a five or six man rotation.
    Five established single inning relief pitchers.
    R Pressly
    R Montero
    H Neris
    R Stanek
    P Maton
    One or two multi inning relief pitchers.
    Long reliever/sixth starter, Situational reliever/fireman
    B Abreu
    H Brown
    B Bielak
    S Dubin
    E Paredes
    One or two single inning middle relievers.
    R Blanco
    S Martinez
    B Taylor*
    P Mushinski*

What do you think, do we have enough? Am I missing someone?

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I am very interested in what the team ends up doing with Abreu.

As a general rule he is more valuable as a starter but Stanek, Maton, and possibly Neris are gone after this year.

For 2024 I would sure be happier with a high leverage bullpen of: Pressly, Montero, Abreu, and ?

Over Pressly, Montero, and ?

Besides unless a starter gets hurt, how many starts will there be for him?

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Looks right to me. 12 spots are spoken for, and the 13th spot currently looks to be between Taylor and Martinez. However, I expect them to sign a free agent RP in the next couple of weeks which would fill that 13th spot. I for one expect them to stick with Abreu as a late inning option; he was just too effective in the postseason to risk upsetting his performance by trying to stretch him back out.

Rotation: Valdez, McCullers, Javier, Garcia, Brown, Urquidy
    Bullpen: TBD, Maton, Stanek, Neris, Montero, Abreu, Pressly

AAA rotation: Whitley, Bielak, France, Dubin, Tamarez, Endersby, Hansen
    AAA bullpen: Davis, Taylor, Mushinski, Paredes, Martinez, Blanco

Guys who will start in AA who could be options for the Astros in 2023: Melendez, Arrighetti, Murray, Ruppenthal, Conn, Record, Solis

raining threes likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Neris has a club option, so I would expect him to be back in 2024 unless he has some way of vesting to get out of it. I expect the Astros will have another reliever either develop this year or next year with Dubin being my best guess. I think Martinez will likely be fine as a 5th or 6th reliever.

On how many starts, Odorizzi got 12 in 4 months last year despite the Astros being incredibly healthy in regards to SP.

The Beard likes this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If a team assembled a bullpen just out of these AAA starters and relievers, how good would that bullpen be?

My guess would be 3rd-4th worst in the majors. It doesn't have the sure-fire top end guy, but there are probably 2-3 teams that lack a top end guy and can't match the depth of those arms.

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Out of curiosity why do you think Pena would be against an extension.
    He didn't sign for huge money
    He's only got 1 year of playing time
    He shouldn't have any butthurt built up to the organization as they broke camp with him.
    He's still got 5 years left until he has a real payday.

That screams to me like the kind of guy you offer 100M to in order to lock him up for his entire career (or all of the prime at least).

Astrodome likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

A bullpen of:
    Long Relievers Bielak and France
    High leverage/closers Whitley and Dubin
    Middle relief: 4 of Paredes, Blanco, Mushinski, Martinez, and Taylor

Would probably be better than what the Cubs, A’s Rockies, Tigers, and Angels will run out there on opening day, with the caveat that I am very high on Whitley and Dubin as late inning relievers if that’s how they end up being used. Take out Bednar and Id also take that group over the Pirates pen.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Exactly my point.

If Framber, Javier, Lance, Urquidy, and Garcia each average 27

That leaves 27 for Brown and Abreu together if they make Bryan a starter.

And it makes no sense to send him down to stay stretched out in case of injury.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would not send Abreu down to keep him stretched out. If the Astros want Abreu to start, I'd have Abreu slowly get stretched out with a AAA starter called up to act like a bridge until Abreu gets stretched out.

Those 5 in an incredibly healthy year averaged 24 starts. Brown and others would likely need to start at least 42 games, but likely more. I'm expecting Brown will bounce between the pen and rotation until someone gets hurt.

But yes, if those 5 do start 27 games, Abreu would just stay in the pen. I just see this as a very unlikely scenario and I really don't like the other options as the 7th starter.

I don't expect the Astros will use Abreu as the 7th starter. He would be my pick though.

14. Screaming Fist

Has there been any talk from legit sources that they are still considering transitioning Abreu into a starter or is that just based on rumors?

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There was something semi-legit right after the World Series if memory serves. I don't expect the Astros to do it with Dusty as manager and without Strom as pitching coach.

Edit: For offseason talk without free agents left, talking about Abreu is more enjoyable than a lot of things talked about on here.

#9135 Joe Joe, Jan 30, 2023
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

You are right that overall 2022 was an incedibly healthy year for the Astros rotation, but also remember that Verlander took up 28 starts. So those 5 started 120 of 134 games. Which would work out to 145, or 29 each in 162 game season with Verlander out of the picture.

In the past 15 yrs (2008-2022) the team has used as many as 14 starters and 30 total pitchers, averaging 11 and 24.

So it is possible that Abreu could be needed as a starter. I still think the team has enough starters and he is best served as a late inning reliever.

Opening day 6 man rotation
    Framber
    Javier
    McCullers
    Brown
    Garcia
    Urquidy

5 Other starters in minors
    Bielak
    Murray
    Whitley
    Endersby
    Tamarez

7 opening day RP
    Pressly
    Montero
    Abreu
    Neris
    Stanek
    Maton
    S.Martinez

6 RP in minors
    Paredes
    France
    Dubin
    Blanco
    Mushinski
    Taylor

That's 24

17. Yordan The Great

No guarantee of Montero repeating his performance, so any talk of Bryan Abreu being taken out of the bullpen is a bit shortsighted. I'd like to see him be our 8th inning guy honestly.

Pressly - closer
    Abreu - setup man (with Montero as backup)
    Montero/Neris/Stanek - 7th inning
    Stanek/Maton/Martinez - 6th inning
    Martinez/Maton - 5th inning

Replace Martinez with Taylor/Mushinski/Paredes/Other depending on who makes the opening day roster.

#9137 Yordan The Great, Jan 30, 2023
  18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. awc713

awc713 Member