1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You mean like when he agreed to go down to the G league to work on his game so that he could play the position the team wanted him to play after the Rockets traded for him? You mean like when the team decided they wanted to push Jalen Green to be a combo guard and share responsibilities with KPJ (which turned out to be a disaster because Jalen lacks the talent for that kind of role)?

Thus far, KPJ has done everything asked of him....and he's currently the 2nd best player on the roster.....so I think the real question is, why do you focus so much on him rather than the players who are an anchor on the neck of the team with their awful performance?

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You don't decide what you're going to run if you're not the only PG on the roster, so it would dramatically reduce the negative impact on the team.

The other thing is you're never open when you're the PG and you have the ball. You are far more often open for a shot when you play off ball. Will he sometimes start dribbling even though there's no chance he'll achieve a higher % shot? Yes, but systemically, it will reduce the impact of those choices on the offense.

Think of it this way: if prime Chris Paul is running the offense, no matter how poor KPJ's shot selection as PG, it would be forced to be better at SG because he simply won't receive the ball as much when he's playing poorly or guarded well.

But in that situation where someone else is the team's hero and KPJ's numbers are looking better all around, would he even be happy? I'm not so sure. He has a savior complex and people who have that would rather lead poorly than collaborate efficiently. Generally doesn't change in the early 20's. Hope I'm wrong cause again, he's a perfect fit at PG if he can be happy doing that.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He's just confusing instructions. Coaches are telling the team to share the ball, so when sharing leads to someone else heating up, then he believes it's time for them to share with him so he can have his turn. It's not ill-willed, it's just a typical problem a person in their early 20's can face.

I hope he's willing too, can be a very good piece on a very good contract. I think having a vet on the team who feeds him, pats him on the back and calls him out when necessary could do wonders but unfortunately we'd win too much for Stone's liking.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Based on what facts? Your FEELINGS?

I mean this is just bizarre you are extrapolating out problems that don't exist because you don't like him.

Of course....and if he doesn't you can move on......that is how accountability works.

But you have to TRY first.......you need to make an informed decision about one of our most NBA skilled players.

Dear God more made up bullshit.......you people and your agendas.

DD

#4824 DaDakota, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Just so we're clear here, people who are allegedly actively watching games seriously believe that the problem this season is this guy

Rockets current tpa KPJ.png

Rather than these guys

Rockets current tpa Real problem.png

Look, I get it, some of you guys are fully committed to a false narrative and some kind of sunk cost fallacy is keeping you from admitting the obvious....but honestly, you should just stop now. It's a better look to simply say, "well, looks like I missed that one" than to keep doubling down on this BS that is objectively false.

vator likes this.
  6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Bobby still the worst poster here in love with a scrub who us as worthless as him.

7. i3artow i3aller

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Oh, of course he'd be better. Like I said, if he's willing, more than half of the problem would be solved. JR Smith had a decent career as a role player benefitting from playing with some great playmakers. He still did dumb things on court and he was still a conscienceless chucker.

Mathloom likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Based on watching him for more than 1.5 seasons being the head honcho. Are you denying that he is a poor decision maker?

You know, him not fitting the PG role isn't because he's a poor passer. It's because he's a poor decision maker. That has nothing to do with his role. It's not that hard to know who has high IQ and who has low IQ, regardless of position and role. Of course, if his playmaking duty is reduced, his decision making deficiency wouldn't be as pronounced.

maypk likes this.
  10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

What is this stat? i've seen you post a few times but never heard of it anywhere except your posts. Obviously green and jabari suck when it comes to making a positive impact because of their age so it seems to make sense

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yes, because he generates a ton of shots that our team misses because we can't shoot, he is a much better passer than many here think, including you.

He is developing, he is not a finished product, but Sengun is known as a good passer and his assist to turnover ratio is WORSE than KPJs....

Whatever, I just wish people were honest and say they don't like him......instead of making stuff up.

DD

hlmbasketball likes this.
  12. i3artow i3aller

13. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

it is essentially box plus minus. If it weren’t for kpj Stan’s, I wouldn’t look at the definitions of so many stats, lol.

14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

https://nbamath.com/tpa-model/

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Calling someone a "Stan" is a weak minded attempt at downplaying others perspectives.

Either you can argue your case politely or you just call them a stan, it would be like me calling all people who are Sengun fan's a turkish slang word like "Enayi"

DD

hlmbasketball likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's TPA, if you want to read more about it

https://nbamath.com/tpa-model/

Obviously no metric is perfect, but I think this one is fairly solid and I like the visuals as a basic reference. Like with anything, you never go off of just one metric, but most that take both sides in to account have pretty similar results.

Jalen Green is absolutely pathetic defensively and inefficient offensively.

Jabari Smith is absolutely pathetic offensively and inconsistent defensively.

That's the reason they get dragged down.

As to EG, he's just completely checked out this season. He puts forth almost no effort on either side of the ball.

Also, it's important to note that TPA is a compilation stat, those who play more have more of an opportunity to generate numbers either positive or negative. That's why I like the graph that shows playing time as well.

Players who never see the court will be closer to 0 simply because they don't have the opportunity to suck as much as those who play all the time.

astrosrule likes this.
  17. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

But because of his love to basketball/Rockets, I can't hate him :

18. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

No one is telling that KPJ is a bad player. Everyone is trying to say that KPJ is a misplaced/misused/everdribbling selfish guy.

He coud be "darling" of Rockets fans if he was used catch&shoot guy, or the head honcho of the second unit. He is currently overpromoted guy and believes that he is the head honcho of the first unit. He is not, he sucks in that position and people started to whip him.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not really true, quite a few talk as if KPJ is playing as poorly as Smith or Green actually are. That's kind of what this thread is about, how KPJ is the whipping boy for the entire team. It doesn't matter how well he plays, the usual suspects blame everything on him.

Jalen is literally the worst defender on the team? Must be KPJ's fault.

Jabari can't shoot? Must be KPJ's fault.

For whatever reason, a certain group of Rockets fans can't accept that KPJ is objectively the second best player on the team right now....and it's not his fault that the Rockets drafted 2 top 3 players who are absolute dogshit right now.

Would KPJ be better if he could play off ball more? Absolutely....but given the complete lack of talent on the team, how does that happen?

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Why worry about the 4th year guy whose sizable(bargain!) extension is about to kick in and who has the ball in his hands by far more than anyone else on the team?

Worry about the rookie, the 2nd year guy and the vet who has checked out(and will be gone soon)!