1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Dredd

Dredd Member

This is like hiring Shane Battier or Mario Elie as the Rockets Head Coach.

weakfromtoday and FLASH21 like this.
  2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Plus he's black.

Not that it's the one that trumps all, but hiring one (Culley) out of pure whim and another (Lovie) out of pure necessity were issues. Now you just hire DeMeco as your guy, he has homegrown roots, and he is the hottest name on the market is a big boon for this franchise.

I really do hope he performs well for us, but I like you would have preferred an offensive minded coach.

Dredd likes this.
  3. Dredd

Dredd Member

He has to fire the entire staff and bring on fresh blood. I say hire Klint Kubiak as the OC.

red5rocket, cmoak1982 and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

The Texans FO is racist for how they dealt with the last 2 coaches, and now if they hire Demeco it’s “the fans controlling” and “dysfunction, not aligned pick” and if they don’t hire him it’s “see, they are racist”…

again, would anything please you? Can we just get a list of every move you want to happen? We’ll send it in and see if he listens to the fans control.

all that said, I still want Steichen… please!

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think more questions are raised when the HC himself was an offensive coordinator… very similar to an Andy Reid/Bienemy dynamic. Nobody really knows who’s more responsible. Texans had similar situations when Kubiak was the HC and whoever he had filling in the OC was either more involved or not much involved at all (ranging from baby Shan to Rick Dennison).

Then again, just to tie it back to the original post, Frank Reich (not Sirianni) called the plays in Indy.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You’re putting words where there aren’t any. The last two hires were questionable on all levels, nobody can deny that. This one isn’t… but you also can’t deny that it is the popular choice amongst all parties, and wasn’t simply a front office/GM decision.

And there’s absoultely nothing wrong with it. This franchise is a corpse at the moment… anything that can infuse some excitement or anything positive is a momumental step up from the last few years of embarrassment and idiocy that has led to total fan apathy.

And why do you want Steichen? If he was so great, why did McVay let him go for a lateral move to Philly? Why isn’t Sirianni really the one responsible there?

#4526 Nick, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    houstonstime likes this.
  7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Not to mention, the only reason Gannon was up there on my list with Demeco and Steichen (after Payton was not an option) was only because of the staff he could bring as a defensive minded coach. Frank Reich - gone. Zimmer - gone.. give me Steichen and Ben Johnson. But will still be happy with Demeco.

FLASH21 likes this.
  8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

You’re right, I read a little extra in your original post, I apologize. Just basing on some earlier disagreements. I do think Demeco is a popular hire as well as a good one. And I think Steichen is involved and it’s not just sirianni. He was at the chargers during Herbert’s rookie year, and has done a lot with Hurts. I would also hope he could bring Ben Johnson. But I’m not going to hate the Demeco hire, I just hope we can get a good OC on the staff.

red5rocket likes this.
  9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

wont get my hopes up until Ryans completes physical

10. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Yep. It's not over till the fat lady (or pancakes McClain) sings!

What I think is curious is how Gannon has pulled his name from consideration of other coaching openings once it became clear DeMeco was our guy.
    Maybe Denver is not the "dream job" the media is making it out to be.

But if they admitted that they wouldn't be able to cry out how much better than the Houston job it was!

red5rocket likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Such a stupid post

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I love Demeco but I'd much rather have a coach with a pedigree on offense.

#4534 DonnyMost, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

UTSA2step and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I want to believe that DeMeco could be a similar type of coach to Mike Tomlin who both had defensive backgrounds. Im hoping DeMeco can be a similarly great coach who hires competent coordinators and gets the most out of his teams.

17. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

this 100%… stop being sheep people. McNairs are stupid but they definitely aren’t kkk members

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I think the post is pretty freakin accurate.

Since the last season of BoB at the helm this organization has been a dumpster fire in regards to; trades, FA, and hires.

What area do you feel like they've succeeded outside of season ticket sales?

red5rocket and cbass like this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nobody said they were. But they were oblivious to how their actions would be perceived... which was certainly enough reasons for them to be called out as much as they were.

Perhaps they'll be better going forward... maybe they've learned something as well (at the expense of the last 2 years and this franchise being at an all-time-low in terms of interest), and things will be better going forward.

It has to be. It can't get worse.

20. Dredd

Dredd Member

Living in San Fran / San Jose vs Houston. Easy decision.