1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I maintain that Tari is better at mostly everything except for shooting, which Jabari currently also sucks at.

BigMaloe, Yung-T, Y2JT and 5 others like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't know why, but it's still impossible for me to visualize him not being a good shooter in the near future.

It's also very fishy that practically all our shooters are shooting poorly, so the player who's most reliant on it will suffer the most from that.

BigMaloe, BaselineFade, carib and 4 others like this.
  3. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

4. NewAge

NewAge Member

I always thought his college 3pt% was fluky and inflated. He has a decent form, but far from exceptional. Also his percentage in college on long 2s was piss poor.

I like him overall, however. Good D, competitive kid, always can get his shot off against smaller defenders, and with his length most defenders ARE smaller than him. What’s a bit disappointing is not the shooting, but lack of athleticism, I thought he’d have more of a burst.

I can see him develop into a Rasheed Wallace, which is pretty good.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I guess the shooting will come around eventually, but despite Silas saying his defense is really good, I have yet to see it. He gets into a good defensive stance very consistently, but does seem to get caught out of place a lot, people seem to get around him quite easily, and he doesn't provide as much rim protection as even Alpi.

Right now, I would have to say that Tari is better at all aspects of the game (except maybe layups).

Roc Paint and Yung-T like this.
  6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I'm as critical of Jabari as anyone, but he shot 3.8% over the NCAA average on long 2's, and on a greater volume than any prospect in the draft.

Where he was actually piss poor was on short 2's, shooting 4.4% under NCAA average within 4.5 feet of the rim. That is comically bad for his size.

SOURCE: https://cbbanalytics.com/tools/shot-charts

BigMaloe, B-Bob, Yung-T and 5 others like this.
  7. anchel

anchel Member

¿? No matter how many games you watch him play this season, he will still be a 19 y.o. kid.
    He's not making any improvment at shooting this season, so better get used for the remaining 30 games...

You can see since the summer league he really struggles with the NBA range... He will gain core and lower body strength. His form is great, his touch and work ethic are too. He will be a great shooter (he already is at middies), patience.

#4767 anchel, Jan 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  8. Outlier

Outlier Member

The Spurs’ Jeremy Sochan made an improvement in shooting as a 19 year kid.

Yung-T and Corrosion like this.
  9. bmelo

bmelo Member

if you read my post history, along with some random drunk ****, you will see some sober ones - like the rating of the players from specific drafts.

After the last one, I said Sengun was the best player in that class. After the second I told Tari is what we thought Jabari is, and Jabari is what we thought we are getting in Tari.

nikolatran likes this.
  10. NewAge

NewAge Member

I stand corrected, yes.

ClutchCityReturns likes this.
  11. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

100%. The Magic and Thunder knew what they were doing in the draft. The other thing that surprises me about Jabari is his lack of athleticism. He doesn't seem to have hops and looks slow.

NewAge and cheke64 like this.
  12. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

As a contending basketball team plays with 5 great players and 4 very good back-ups, who is your:
    4th star
    5th star
    6th star
    7th star
    8th star
    9th star?

Just wondering?

Or, is there a basbetball set-up played with 3 persons and you talk about that one?

13. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man had 2 steals and 3blks and you come in here and suck up on Alpi… Bari is easily a better defender as a rookie than Alpi in year 2

14. gfab-babyboi

Supporting Member

Folks complain about Jabari but Pablo only had 9 points and 7 rebounds last night…

Bari rebounding numbers would be better if he defended less on perimeter in our defense…

I’m going to say post All Star break he will start trending up in shooting, we already seen him greatly improve on driving and finishing at rim

15. PatBev

PatBev Member

Don’t ever see him being a max type player. More of a elite 6’11 PJ Tucker who guards the Durante and Tatums of the league and hitting 3pt around 40%

Nothing wrong with that if he is elite at the job he does for the team

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I like Jabari, but if you quote steals and blocks as evidence for being a great defender, let me make you aware that Alpi has more of both per game than Jabari this season, in fewer minutes.

Ankara1923 and Yung-T like this.
  17. gfab-babyboi

Supporting Member

Alpi should he playing C full time… Only you SOFs can’t allow any other Rocket to get a glimmer of positivity without trying to throw Alpi in it.

Bari is a better and more versatile defender than Alpi .. no one on earth besides SOF’s will disagree with that statement

18. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Oh yea they have to throw Sengun in every conversation regardless of what the topic is. Also notice how they never give anyone credit but Sengun himself. If Sengun plays poorly, it's everyone else's fault. If he plays well it's only Sengun that did it. They're all idiots

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm not too concerned about Jabari's rebounding.

If anything I'm concerned with his shooting being worse than that of Sengun (who isn't good from 3) and his finishing at the rim / in the paint while better recently is still a huge concern as it was pre draft.

Sure, we should be patient with the kid but it's safe to say he's been disappointing thus far - even if he hasn't been in the best situation, he's been force fed minutes and given every opportunity to succeed.

I don't think any of us would have predicted he would shoot .300 from 3.

The way he's playing now, I doubt he would make all rookie 2nd team and that would be a huge disappointment considering draft position.

Still .... I'm trying to be patient.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Dude, don't even. If Jabari developed into a less-evil Rasheed, that would be unbelievable.

NewAge likes this.