1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

The 2023 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Nov 6, 2022.

1. Yordan The Great

How are you making this statement when we haven't played a single game with the increased base sizes?

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not RunninRaven, but logic suggests this will be true. To match the increase in run scoring when the mound was lowered, there would need to be about 10,000 more successful stolen bases without any additional caught stealings. There were 2,486 SBs with 811 CSs in 2022. I just don't expect there will be 12,486 SBs and 811 CSs next year (or +3x * SBs +x * CS to those numbers).

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Safety man. Won’t somebody please think of the children.
    Seriously though- I think I love all the new rules. All should get more action into a quicker game. The only thing better will be robot home plate ump. This is gonna be good.

Yordan The Great likes this.
  4. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

I really like the robo ump challenge idea. Don't think I want robo ump calling all pitches.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I worded it poorly. What I was trying to say is that I think the mound lowering had more of an impact than the base size increase WILL have. Meaning that is my prediction. Obviously none of us can know anything yet.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I hate the robo ump challenge idea. Robo umps aren't needed for 3 challenges in a game. They are needed for games when one side is getting a huge zone while the other is getting hosed.

7. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

Successful appeals would be retained, so you could keep challenging bad calls all night

8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I'd be ok with looking at that. Provided the challenge is super quick like in Tennis. That thing is over and done with right away without taking any real time out of the game. I'd prefer just straight up robo umps calling the game- b/c I think fans really underestimate the difference between 1-2 and 2-1 lets say, and I don't know how many of those will be challenged, but at least with 3 challenges you are unlikely to see guys rung up on absolute **** anymore, or guys walk on pitches that catch a ton of the plate.

jim1961 likes this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

And if a team makes 3 mistakes, they get f!@#ed for the rest of the game when it is okay for the umps to have 15-20 mistakes? If you have the system, use it. Either get rid of human error or don't. Don't shift it to someone else.

#529 Joe Joe, Jan 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Steals won't go up that much. Its just not going to be emphasized and too many injuries occur as is with sliding plays.... teams aren't going to electively accommodate it.

The guys who would usually attempt a steal will still do it. Name the players you think will now steal bases with regularity when they already stopped doing it with the old bases?

11. Buck Turgidson

Disagree. Steals will go up, when teams start to value the steal again. Runners going 1st-3rd, 2nd-HP will also increase eventually.

There will be money to be made for coaches who can teach a really proper pickoff move in the minors.

Yordan The Great and cmlmel77 like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think this is correct. My understanding is that the center of the second base bag isn't changing, but the centers of the 1st and 3rd base bags will be moved 1.5 inch towards 2nd base and 1.5 towards the left field wall to keep the distance between home plate and 1st base bag, and home plate a 3rd base bag the same.

13. Major

Major Member

14. Buck Turgidson

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/rules/base-sizes

It's not that complicated.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I’m just curious to see who will be now attempting steals that wasn’t a big threat before. (Altuve… probably).

I also don’t want this to be like when the NBA moves the 3 point line in and all sorts of chuckers started hoisting them up.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It shouldn't be complicated. If that MLB glossary entry is accurate without additional changes other than the base bag size change, Yordan the Great and I are both wrong.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

My guess would that lineup position has much to do with steals.

If Pena is hitting at the bottom of the lineup due to the additions of Brantley and Abreu then I could see him stealing more. Unless there us a significantly increased chance of success then it will be tough to risk an out on the bases with the top 6-7 coming up.

Also if steals become more common, it could close any gap between Meyers/McCormick and Leon for CF.

18. Buck Turgidson

2B is still centered at the same distance it always has been.

The best result of this I can think of (outside of more action on the bases) is that the dumbass "overslide and hold the tag" should be less prevalent.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure if there are going to be that many new chuckers, but I think the current chuckers will chuck more. They hear 75% is the break even point for stolen bases. The stolen base chuckers will try to steal as many bases as they can and have a 75% stolen base percentage (i.e., the additional stolen bases help as much as the additional caught stealing hurts).

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The second base bag is centered on 90 foot lines drawn from the back edges (not centers) of 1st and 3rd base bags, historically. 1st and 3rd base bags are positioned with the back edges of their bags 90 feet from the back tip of home plate. If placement of base bags continues based on their back edges, they will be 3 inches closer to home plate.