1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If No Trade at Deadline . . .

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VoR, Jan 26, 2023.

1. VoR

VoR Member

I am ready to move off from Stone. He is showing an inability to work with the rest of the league and that is the kiss of death in the NBA.

2. xaos

xaos Member

What are you expecting?

No Worries, saleem and harold bingo like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

We are a crappy team at 11-36 and we haven't made a single roster move since October.

That is atrocious. We should be rolling players through here.

DD

4. VoR

VoR Member

I'm hoping for Gordon and KMJ to get moved for a nice return. If we can swap KPJ for Tyus Jones, I'd be happy with that too.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If we make some awesome trades we can still make the playoffs!! :rolleyes:

burlesk, saleem and Believe It! like this.
  6. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

There is no reason whatsoever to not trade Gordon.

If he's still here Stone must be pipedreaming that Harden is going to sign here next season.

kjayp and VoR like this.
  7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Making a trade simply to make a trade isn’t always in the best interest of the team. Trading Gordon away for the 30th pick, for example, might not benefit the team as much as having a respected veteran around the young guys.

I think a lot of us just assume there’s always a trade out there that’s worth it. Other teams are holding onto their assets as long as they can in most cases. The only teams that rush to make trades just to shake things up are those that are desperate to win NOW and don’t care abt the future — kind of like us trading Chris Paul for Westbrook or Westbrook for Wall.

glimmertwins, saleem, PDJACK7 and 2 others like this.
  8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

There is a reason. You just don’t agree with the value of that reason. Veteran leadership is important, even for losing teams. Now I’m not pretending Gordon has lived up to that expectation, but to pretend there isn’t a logical reason for keeping him is only setting yourself up for a lot of anger and frustrating nights.

Garner and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  9. VoR

VoR Member

All accounts show that Gordon is not happy here. That is not a veteran presence, that is a disgruntled player who wants to play in meaningful games.

Believe It! and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  10. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

There is no way on earth the Grizz would do this. This is not a realistic trade, at all. Also, fyi, KPJ's extension makes him pretty difficult to trade until the offseason, since he counts at the average of his overall contract with the extension for incoming salary, but only at his current contract for outgoing. So a team with enough cap space or an exception large enough to eat the difference would have to be worked in to move him at all.

But the main thing is that Tyus Jones is worth a lot, and KPJ has pretty much no trade value at the moment. Even in the offseason he is going to just be neutral matching salary, unless he shows a lot between now and the end of the year.

I do want an EG trade very bad though. I've liked Stone as GM overall, but mainly because of his drafting of Sengun, Eason, and KJ -- but if he won't fire Silas and isn't making better roster management on the margins, like trading EG and consolidating some overall, then he needs to be fired.

xaos likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

EG still being here would be further confirmation how terrible Stone is. He's already a couple seasons late dealing him. It's already old news, Stone messed EG's situation up

FrontRunner and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  12. VoR

VoR Member

Bro, it's about getting assets and making your vets happy.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

EG serves no purpose here…he provides zero vet leadership, and he’s not a mentor

he plays just as dumb as the rest of the kids on the court

14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

What accounts would you be referring to? Because he’s said he wasn’t having fun even when we were good. And he doesn’t really show emotion on the court — good or bad. I’m VERY sure he wants out. But there is a difference between wanting out and being disgruntled and a distraction.

Have you heard he has been a distraction?

15. VoR

VoR Member

It's pretty realistic, actually. It gives them SG depth and allows for KPJ to go back to his natural position while also being able to run the second unit as a PG. Both players have equal value and similar contracts. It gives the Rockets what they need in a true PG and gives the Grizz more offensive potential, which would make them very scary.

16. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

We all provide more veteran leadership from our couches than Eric no fun Gordon.

17. VoR

VoR Member

Have you not seen the recent videos of him saying the team isn't improving?

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

it isn't realistic.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Then I think you are wanting to get rid of Stone because I don't see a trade as likely.

I might get flamed for this, but I do not think that EG is going to net the Rockets anything of value at the deadline. In fact, I think Stone values his contract going into this Summer as the big value item that he is weighing value in against. I think Stone wants to sign someone as a FA and at the same time make a trade for a second impact player.

EG not throwing a fit after the deadline is key to avoiding having to waive him... which is why you saw the "leaks" a couple weeks ago about EG being someone that Harden wants to play with. In fact I do not think Harden cares about playing with EG... it's that Stone wants EG to think there is something changing next year here in Houston he should be optimistic for... when in reality he's being manipulated so they can keep him contract as a trade chip this Summer.

I don't think it will work because Stone is too cocky and over his ski's as evidenced by the last two trade deadlines. He's not nearly as sly as he thinks he is, and people aren't as dumb as he'd like them to be.

I do think EG will not be traded, and I think EG and his agent will force a buy-out within 3 weeks of the trade deadline.... and threads like this will change from "what will Stone do" to "Fire Stone now!!!"

I think Stone was good for Morey as a cap & contract maneuver guy, and I think we have a decent player evaluation system which helps him with the draft, but I don't think he's a good GM at all. Being a good GM means you have the personality, relationships, and trust of 29 other colleagues with other teams. I don't think Stone has the trust to make deals, and I think he overestimates his deal making skills, and underestimates everyone else's intelligence.

burlesk, theDude, FrontRunner and 3 others like this.
  20. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Definitely ask a grizz fan what they think. But get ready to dodge, because they may punch you.

I love Tyus Jones. He'd be perfect for us. But his trade value would be very high right now, especially for a grizz team that relies on him when Morant is out. And KPJ doesn't have anywhere near that trade value.

xaos likes this.