1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 1, 2022.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So he'll effectively miss all of spring training, then? Unless he comes back ready to go at 6 weeks.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I wouldn’t expect to see him on the major league side. My guess/hope is he is ready in time for the AAA season.

vince likes this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Hate this but didn’t expect him to make the team anyway. Would have liked to get him a taste of hitting major league pitching. I suspect Hensley and Dubon to be shoe-ins. I am hoping Diaz gets a shot and they are patient before signing a vet. I think Lee is pencilled in as their backup.

vince likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Assuming Dusty is truthful (which for the most part he seems to be), he really values arm strength in a CF when there is a fly ball pitcher on the mound. I thought Leon had a decent chance of making team if he was healthy.

The Beard, BlindHog and Nook like this.
  5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

DeJuneas was acquired in a trade with Cleveland for James Hoyt in 2018. He never really found much success in the Astros system as he ran up a 6+ ERA in each of his two full seasons.

#205 tellitlikeitis, Jan 20, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

This is a great point.

It's not the end of the world though, if Leon recovers in time for AAA season and then spends the first half in Sugar Land.

I think he is the best option to add an impact bat to the 2nd half lineup and playoffs. If he makes another k/9 improvement like last year.

I love Diaz's bat but realistically, if everyone is healthy who is he sending to the bench?

( FYI I was very happy with Leon's K/9 improvement last year despite a rough start and poor finish after the injury)

I think the best case scenario for the Astros in 2024 is Leon having a good first half in 2023.

If that happens then shop Meyers or McCormick at the deadline and hope for another Straw for Maton/Diaz type deal.

Then if Leon fails, you still have Meyers or McCormick as a fallback and Gilbert, Barber, or Melton for 2024-2025

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Leon, Lee, Diaz, Meyers, Brown, Dubin, Whitley, and Melendez all break out this year. Which lets Houston allow Brantley (Diaz/Meyers), Maldy (Lee/Diaz), Maton (Dubin), Dubon (Leon), and Stanek (Melendez) to walk in free agency/non-tender, trade Urquidy (Whitley) for a top A ball prospect, and spend a ton of money on extensions since they won’t have any needs on the big league roster.

IowaAstro, vince, Wulaw Horn and 4 others like this.
  8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Now that's something to root for.

vince likes this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Charles Cook: Take pride in developing players on our own system.

Two prospects highlighted
    Kenni Gomez CF super athletic, best Astros player in DSL

Jose Fleury, Dominican, RHP Plus, plus change up. Too good to let him throw it in lives. (My comment: BA was likely wrong about Dubin's change being the best. I was wrong about no changes in system)

#209 Joe Joe, Jan 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cook: Melton likely to High A.

FuryFC, Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

12. Screaming Fist

Over half of Fleury's pitches in the DSL in 2022 were swinging strikes. The "games" in the DSL must be pretty interesting to watch with how crazy some of the stats are.

Forgot I made a quick post about this guy this past August:

Snake Diggit and Joe Joe like this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

261 strikes, 26 balls. 10:1 strike to ball ratio is crazy.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Did we get him?

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It sounds like deal is in place but no budget until next year.

Pretty common.

I know at this stage, you don't pick and choose but - another lefty outfielder?

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That is big. Similar to Pedro Leon (although he is significantly younger than Leon was) a prospect like that is more like a 1st or 2nd round college draft pick than a typical international signee. He should easily be one of Houston’s top 10 prospects when he signs and could start in AA in be in Houston by late 2025.

BlindHog, Htown Legend and No Worries like this.
  19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How often does it occur that a deal is reported to be in place but waiting on the next international signing period and then the player decides to go with someone else?

20. Nook

Nook Member

It is rare but it happens. If another team offers him more money he could change his mind but the agents don't want to have issues with the Astros either.

This kid is well known in Cuba, not as well known in the USA. A lot of hype for him there and just getting his feet wet with some evaluators over here.

I don't think he is the athlete or raw talent that Pedro Leon was when the Astros got him - the ball doesn't explode of this kids bat. However, this kid supposedly has a better natural feel for hitting.

Stoic Rob, Nippystix and Snake Diggit like this.