1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the republican party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 21, 2021.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also that Pence and Biden are reacting to the discovery of classified documents in the same way, cooperating with authorities, while Trump has resisted cooperating with authorities. Yet Pence did nothing wrong, Trump is being treated unfairly and somehow Biden is the national security threat.

Rashmon, glynch, ROCKSS and 1 other person like this.
  2. astros123

astros123 Member

Did you not pay attention to the midterms? No pro life candidate will be elected nationwide ever. DeSantis just passed a harsh abortion ban in Florida nd has supported a nationwide 6 week ban. Folks keep pretending DeSantis is some moderate choice when in reality he's more into culture wars than trump. He said recently entitlement cuts was a smart choice.

DeSantis is only worshipped cuz he's not trump but he'll never win a national election. The republican that could beat biden is chris sununu. Culture wars are not popular with normie voters no matter what you think.

#6762 astros123, Jan 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    Rashmon and rocketsjudoka like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

If DeSantis looks like he could win the GOP Nomination I predict he will do a hard turn to the middle. He will start emphasizing policies he's done regarding hurricane preparedness and measures to combat Climate Change. He will start talking about how much he's worked with the Biden Admin.

glynch likes this.
  4. astros123

astros123 Member

There's no universe that DeSantis is beating trump and I don't get the people that say otherwise. There's not a SINGLE poll that shows DeSantis beating trump in a crowded field. They're all bullshit heads up polls which isn't going happen. Every republican from Rick scott to Larry hogan thinks this is their chance. A contested primary is only good for trump.

Trump has been going on radio interviews for past 2 weeks bashing DeSantis and DeSantis hasn't said anything. Now trump will be allowed back onto Twitter and Facebook and will only help him.

Trump is ALWAYS winning in a contested field. ALWAYS. The reason why it'll be contested is every republican canidate has big money behind him.
    I would wager anyone here any amount of $$$ that trump will be the nominee. It won't even be close.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes Trump does have a great shot at winning the Republican nomination again but I don't think it's as certain as you think and even with a divided field. Trump still has a lot of support but it's soft. Trump could win early primaries and steamroll to the nomination like he did last time but he could also falter. We've seen many of his most erstwhile turn against him. That many of his most loyal supporters ignored him in the speaker vote and instead cut deals for their own benefit showed that there are limits to the cult.

I don't mind supporting Clutchfans and even though I'm not certain in the outcome I'm willing to take tipjar bet of $25.

6. astros123

astros123 Member

His support is soft?!?!?! 69% of Republicans think Biden stole the election! This is after the insurrection and after he's lost 73 different lawsuits and no evidence. I'm sorry to say this but GOP primary voters are literally some of the dumbest people living in America.

I'm 100% down for 25 dollar bet. You can happily screenshot and quote this. Trump will have the nomination locked up after super Tuesday. Mark my words and save this post.

If anyone else wants to bet just @ me and I'd be 10000% down. Primary voters are your diehard fans. DeSantis and other folks are your college educated folks who don't always vote in primaries. Trumps base will wait for days to vote for him in a primary. It's a cult.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

It's soft compared to the 90% support he had a year ago and it's declining.
    You might very well be right and as i said I'm not nearly as confidant in this bet than I did my last bet. That said I never got to collect on my last tip jar bet but still paid my wager to support Clutchfans.

8. astros123

astros123 Member

I don't think you understand how the republican primary system is setup and how alot of early states are winner takes all. If Trump can keep his support at roughly 40% then he's guaranteed to win. He doesn't even need go ever hit 40%. The biggest thing trump has going for him is that heavy donors are backing other candidates (youngkin, hogan, sununu, DeSantis) so they have no incentive to back out. They'll stay in the race which will help trump win in a landslide.

There's only a certain percentage of non Maga gop voters and the candidates are splitting that number up. Clutch will thank you for your donation.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I understand very well how the Republican primary system is set up and it does reward early winners. That very well could be Trump but it's still awhile from the election. Remember at this time in 2015 Trump was widely considered a joke even in Republican circles. This could be a situation that even though Trump is currently favored he's not an outsider. He's a known quantity and there could be others notably DeSantis who get's the early anti Trump vote. It could be Nikki Hayley. We'll see and as stated I would prefer not to lose the bet but I'm happy to support Clutch.

astros123 likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The GOP Is a Circus, Not a Caucus - The Atlantic

Kevin McCarthy has begun his job as speaker by servicing the demands of the most extreme—and weirdest—members who supported him, thus handing the People’s House to the Clown Caucus.

The COVID committee is unlikely to move the needle (if you’ll pardon the expression) on public health. No one’s mind will be changed if Jackson and Tucker Carlson bloviate to each other about things neither of them really believes. Most of the damage from such a committee will likely be concentrated among the vaccine refusers, who already seem determined to get sick and die to make a political point.

The “weaponization” committee is worse, and likely to do far more damage to the United States, because it is starting from the premise that the machinery of the United States government—law enforcement, the intelligence community, and federal agencies—has been turned against the average American citizen. Jim Jordan, who stands out even in this GOP for his partisan recklessness, will serve as chair. The committee will include members whom I think of as the “You-Know-Better-Than-This Caucus”: people with top-flight educations and enough experience to know that Jordan is a crank, but who nevertheless will support attacks on American institutions if that’s what it takes to avoid being sent back home to live among their constituents. Two standouts here are Thomas Massie (an MIT graduate who apparently majored in alchemy and astrology), and the ever-reliable Elise Stefanik (Harvard), whose political hemoglobin is now composed of equal parts cynicism and antifreeze.

The committee will include other monuments to probity, such as Chip Roy; Dan Bishop, who has claimed that the 2020 election was rigged; Harriet Hageman, the woman who defeated Liz Cheney in Wyoming; and Kat Cammack of Florida, who alleged that Democrats were drinking on the House floor during the speakership fight. All of them will have access to highly sensitive information from across the U.S. government.

Jordan and his posse are styling themselves as a new Church Committee, the 1975 investigation into the Cold War misdeeds of American intelligence organizations headed by Idaho Senator Frank Church. This dishonors Church, whose committee uncovered genuinely shocking abuses by agencies that had for too long escaped oversight during the early days of the struggle with the Soviet Union. Church himself was a patriot, unlike some of the charlatans on this new committee, but even Church’s investigation did at least some damage with its revelations, and some of the reforms (especially the move away from relying on human intelligence) undertaken later based in part on its findings were unwise. In any case, his fame was short-lived: He was defeated for reelection in 1980 and died in 1984. (Full disclosure: I spoke at a conference held in Church’s honor many years ago and met with his widow.)

The Church Committee was, in its day, a necessary walk across the hot coals for Americans who had invested too much power and trust in the executive branch. I suspect that the Jordan committee will not look to uncover abuses, but rather to portray any government actions that it does not like as abuses, especially the investigations into Trump. It will be the Church Committee turned on its head, as members of Congress seek to protect a lawless president by destroying the agencies that stand between our democracy and his ambitions.

Kevin McCarthy will be fine with all of it, as long as he gets to wear the top hat and red tails while indulging in the fantasy that he is in control of the clowns and wild animals, and not the other way around.

adoo, rocketsjudoka and ROCKSS like this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Kevin McCarthy doesn't care if the Republicans are a circus, can't govern and are full of extremist and charlatans. He's made that very clear that all he cares is that he is Speaker. He wouldn't be tight with MTG (someone who he himself had criticized before), let George Santos not just remain in Congress but give him committee assignments, and bargain away almost all of his power if he cared.

arkoe and mtbrays like this.
  12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, McCarthy can be counted on for one thing: to shapeshift into whatever policy position gives him incrementally more power. He had to embrace Trump after the insurrection because Trump still had a firm grip on the right flank of the party.

The GOP also doesn't care about governing. They are fueled by grievance and that doesn't work very well as the majority. Controlling one chamber of Congress, aside from the executive branch, is perfect for them. They get to complain about Democrats, campaign on culture wars and phony concerns about spending, and then do nothing but pass more unfunded tax cuts once they're back in power. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Phillyrocket likes this.
  14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'll do a $25 tipjar bet that Trump will not be the Republican candidate in 2024. I think he still has a shot at it, but your confidence in him is totally unwarranted.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Trump is not going to be the Republican candidate in 2024. He's a loser, stall, boring, and extremely whiny. You can only take so much boring and whining even as a fan. There are better options to replace him while continuing Trumpism v2 without the baggage.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

"Confused" is the nice way to say "moronic".

The GOP's 30 Percent Sales Tax Plan Is Tearing the Republican Party Apart
    I REALLY want this to come to a vote. Let's get it on record who supports this idiotic idea.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You are wrong, it's 23%!

"Under the bill, if you buy something that costs $100 before tax, you pay $30 of national sales tax. Most of us would call that a 30 percent sales tax

Proponents, however, call it a 23 percent tax, because that $30 is 23 percent of your 'gross payment' of $130, your payment including the sales tax."

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

More US exceptionalism! The EU has an average 21% VAT rate. Thus, the US needs to be more exceptional!

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Maths is hard

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Just more grandstanding because the House isn't in any danger of passing a bill that will actually become law. If they actually wanted to abolish the income tax and replace it with a sales tax, the time to do it would have been when Republicans controlled the House, the Senate, and the Presidency, and while they were actually passing a big overhaul of the tax code. They didn't abolish the income tax, they didn't simplify the income tax, they didn't create any beachhead for a federal sales tax. This is just PR for the base and not a sincere proposal.

Dream Sequence and rocketsjudoka like this.