1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The 49ers (and the Eagles ftm) is a well run franchise. They know how to draft, how to develop and how to get their teams to the playoffs. The Texans do not.

One would hope that Ryans (or Gannon) would come in and demand organizational changes to match the best practices from their former team.

red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. Qan

Qan Member

Makes sense with his asking pay and Saints trade price.

gatsby, red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bah gawd, that's Rick Smith's music!!

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Not surprised to hear about interest in Payton.
    1. No one wants to give up draft picks when they don't have to do it for any other candidate besides Payton
    2. Payton is seen as a has-been while all other candidates are seen as up-and-comers and that's how the NFL is trending these days with coaching hires
    3. Probably still carries the stink of the bounty scandal
    4. Wants more control than any other candidate
    5. No HC has ever won a Superbowl with 2 different teams in the history of the NFL
    Of course, all of this means the Texans will probably hire him.

I'm kidding...I hope....

gatsby, whag00, Rudyc281 and 3 others like this.
  6. liveguy

liveguy Member

No one (other than teams he doesn't wanna to to) wants to give up those picks

Might as well just wait until the contract is up with the Saints and get the stress free money on TV.

7. liveguy

liveguy Member

I would NEVER trade a 1st (or even 2nd) for a coach.

Trading away players for non-players as a whole makes no sense to me.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Expecting a couple interviews this week and next before we zero in on somebody.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Mashing

Mashing Member

Must be glorious for you during baseball season. I hope you tease the hell out of any Yankee's fans you have as friends.

I agree with what you said. Ryans is the guy I want too.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Then why are teams interviewing him?

He likely wanted to go to Dallas, LA Rams or LA Chargers… but none of thos jobs ended up becoming available. Guaranteed that if they did fire their current coaches (or McVay decided not to come back), they’d all be interested.

The picks are such a minuscule part of the decision making when it comes to Payton… not sure why that’s so hard to grasp. New Orleans has very little leverage in making demands if its a team that Payton wants to go to.

Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. Major

Major Member

Sure - but there are 5 HC openings and a dozen coordinator openings. And then as those get filled, people will have to fill the spots that opened up from those people moving on. There's too much uncertainty for people to commit to jobs that don't even exist yet. No one's going to commit to being DeMeco's DC in Houston, for example, when they don't know if DeMeco will get the job, how much they'd get paid, whether they'll get a promotion in their own organization, etc. For example, if DeMeco has some highly regarded OC that he wants, and that guy gets an offer in one of the current open OC positions, is he necessarily going to wait?

At the same time, no one wants to close any doors, so no one's going to say "no, I'm not taking the job with you" either. It's basically just all meaningless right now.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Allbright hasn't been all that high on Payton from the start so we'll see what happens. To me, there is value in this narrative since the Saints can't ask for that much if there isn't much demand and it's in his best interest that his new team give up the least possible amount. Payton could also be asking for the moon as well.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. liveguy

liveguy Member

No offers yet.

He sends lack of interest announcements thru Cowherd.

I assume he’ll end up in Denver…or he’ll go back to TV.

Rudyc281 and No Worries like this.
  15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What would y'all think if we ended up hiring Demeco for head coach and he decided he wanted to keep Pep Hamilton as the OC? Part of me recoils at that notion because the offense was terrible this past year. But then part of me wonders how much of that was Lovie and how much was Pep. I don't think it is very likely. I'm sure Demeco has someone in mind for his OC and it probably isn't Pep. Just something to think about.

Uprising and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Thank god for MLB Extra innings.
    And as much as I try to give it to the Yanks' fans, the standard reply is Astros are cheaters.
    They are as delusional as Cowboy fans living off memories of WS Winning Steriod infused teams.
    No cheating there.

Uprising and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

What I got from listening was that Sean doesn’t want Denver. Seems like he’s just making rounds and he’ll end up staying at Fox. If you listen to the segment he had before the houston zoom, he hinted that Mickey Loomis would have to decrease his return expectations to a second round pick if he decides to coach next (2024) season.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

LFG!!!

red5rocket and Fulgore like this.