1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we sleeping on Will Levis?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Dec 31, 2022.

1. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

Anyone that thinks Levis is more elusive than Bryce Young needs their head examined and glasses.

primtim24 and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  2. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I’ll drop some data from Football Outsiders later today when I have a bit more time about all of the 2023 qbs so we can have real discussion about this.

3. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

I have watched both play many games and I stick by my position about being elusive

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I didn’t say more elusive than Bryce, or didn’t mean to anyway.
    Levis can only be physically matched by Richardson overall.

Young is QB 1, I like everything about the kid except for his size. But his size is a big red flag

5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

You just said he was on par with stroud because “over 21 yards he was better and 74% and 69% are basically the same thing” don’t throw Young in there (who is even better than Stroud) just to make your argument. Young is literally better than every qb in this class in every category except size and how far he can throw a ball flat footed….

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Young completion percentage is lower than Levis, by 1 percent. Stroud is better than Levis by 1 percent.
    You can’t say one is inaccurate when they’re all within 2% of each other.
    Look up their completion percentages before you comment

7. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

Again, Levis threw and interception for every 1.9 TDs while both Young and Stroud were over 6 TDs for every interception

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

We did look. I mentioned yardages meaning I was using that dumb color chart. Other than 72% levis for 50% young from 21-30 yards. Young is SIGNIFICANTLY better in all other yardages (they are both the same at 1-5 yard screens).. you were happy to use that chart to compare levis to stroud, but now, to compare him to young you want to use overall completion percentage? Ok.

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No doubt, he forced too many plays

raining threes likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Two separate conversations you are lumping together. No need to get so defensive over it, that’s weird dude.

The problem with that chart is it says Young was good in every layer yet he had the lowest completion percentage out of the top 3. Doesn’t quite make sense.

Again, not knocking Young QB skills. But have to take out the bias. While he’s the top guy in this draft, he’s not a sure fire prospect

11. raining threes

Typo

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Sorry, don’t mean to get defensive. Just annoying to see all the excuses for levis but then the “too short” and nothing else about Bryce.

I do agree it’s weird his overall completion was lower.. was he throwing a ton of deep balls? I dunno. And if he’s the top guy in this draft, that’s who we should go for, hoping for an early pick next year or willingness to trade all our picks to move up next year seems way more risky than young not being 2inches taller.

edit: and I know you weren’t making the height thing an issue here. I’m combining discussions again. Sorry.

oelman44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I would be ecstatic with Young, it’s still my second option after defense, simply due to his size. It scares me, maybe I’m wrong, hopefully I’m wrong. The kid has everything. And it would be nice to have something to believe in.

Edit-My only argument for Levis is I don’t want Stroud. I’d take Levis over Stroud but that would be way down on the list of options for me

houstonstime likes this.
  14. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Looks like people are willing to look at all the stats now, so as promised I'm providing them here from Football Outsiders and we can do a deep dive for all of these prospects. Might be some surprises here. The answer to your question here appears to be that Bryce Young's receivers didn't catch the ball as well as Will Levis' and CJ Stroud's did this year. Also under the running stats, just to clarify, the Missed Tackles stats is the combined rate of both broken tackles and eluded tackles. Also Yards Per Rush in college is impacted by sacks as those count as negative rushing yardage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

red5rocket likes this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure what your point is. Levis was not a good runner this year, he was hurt damn near the entire season. Add to that, a very poor offensive line.
    Do last years and compare.

Anyone can watch the games and see Levis is an extremely talented athlete, mobility, agility, speed and open field maneuvering.

No one said Young didn’t have those things, he has a ton of wiggle. That’s the one saving grace for him in the league, but he’s going to be going against the best of the best every game. Not just 3-4 out of the year

16. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

This is data for their entire college career. I think Levis is athletic, but I also think you highly overrate it. No doubt he was not as good of a runner this year because of his injuries, but he wasn't this insane runner last year either. He's a good runner, but nowhere near a Lamar Jackson in terms of speed, or a Josh Allen in terms of power. Josh Allen is also 250 lbs+ where Will Levis is 230. I'm not willing to say he can add weight either, because if you watch videos about Will Levis, he's already known to be a weight room warrior which means at his age, he probably isn't putting on much more weight.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Lamar and Allen are two of the biggest freaks in the league.
    Levis is a 4.6 guy with good agility and explosion. That’s a damn good athlete, and it shows on tape.
    That doesn’t mean he’s going to be a good QB, but his upside is high.
    Why his brains (4.0 gpa), arm and athleticism hasn’t translated to more consistent tape is the issue, I’m not denying that at all.
    I’d still take him over Stroud every day of the week and twice on Sundays

18. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

After reading this I'm all in on Bo Nix as our 1st round QB.
    Have no idea who the hell he is but he seems to have lots of green in his rows.
    #WINNING
    QB problem solved. Houston..... You are welcome!!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

He’s actually going back to school. Forgot to remove him from chart. Him and Micheal Penix Jr did improve their draft stock this year but both decided to return to school.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And he checks all the boxes physically. Stupid good athlete with a great arm.
    But…..he’s staying at Oregon.

(And, while he was a top tier prospect at one time he hasn’t progressed well)