1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

It’s a statistically significant difference and when added together with other two areas that he’s also struggling, the aggregate difference is massive. It sounds like you are the one that needs to learn how to read statistics or just stay away from them altogether. The fact is Will Levis grades out poorly in almost every statistical metric. Not sure why that fact is so painful for you to hear.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No, it’s not. They are within normal orders of magnitude on most categories. Some random color chart seems to be swaying objective analysis.
    That’s like saying Stroud is so much worse because Levis leads the field in 21-30 yd throws.
    Receiver route running is a big factor in this as well.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Also, you might want to check metrics again. Unless you truly are illiterate.

Convenient that you leave out performance under pressure for Stroud and size for Young, because they’re going to be true outliers that beat the norms. But Levis, who is physically superior in every way won’t. Makes you wonder

4. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Sorry, I am illiterate.

What do you want to measure from your second paragraph?

Omihall23 likes this.
  5. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

This is silly. I thought we were discussing the information in the chart provided. If you want to make comparisons with other metrics that's fine, but if I'm supposed to be impressed that Levis is physically superior, I'd rather take Anthony Richardson, who is bigger, stronger, faster, more elusive, and has had less injuries than Will Levis.

6. Sooty

The chart is based on percentage of “on target” throws. If he’s having issues with pressure at Kentucky, how will he fare as a prospect under the Texans?

He also has the biggest, fastest arm and superior in every way “physically”. His feet barely moved and through to early November, his O-Line sack rate and pressures allowed was on par with Bama.

Omihall23 likes this.
  7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I’d rather have CJ but this doesn’t look bad at all.

Tyree or Foskey at 12 to satisfy Demeco/Gannon.

Hoping Hyatt falls to 33 (I’m sure he won’t) but any of Hyatt/JSN/Zay and I’m happy.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. conquistador#11

If Q and Bijan are still available near the end of the first round like in that mock, you trade your 2nd with a 3rd to get one of those talents. With Cooks gone and health being an issue with 2 of our receivers, it just makes sense.

ROXRAN, gucci888 and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The poster said Stroud is better by every metric, I assumed he was talking about all metrics and not some charts a guy made.
    Even by those charts, Stroud isn’t better in every category.

raining threes likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You said every metric, assuming that meant all metrics. Regardless, Stroud wasn’t better by every metric on that chart.

Richardson and Levis are the same size, Levis is stronger, better arm, and they’re both very elusive. Richardson will have a little better top speed, Levis is a more powerful guy.
    Injuries are a concern, specially with how Levis plays.
    And for the record, I would take Richardson over Stroud any day of the week.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

“On target” there is no baseline. We don’t know the numbers of each pass, if the receiver ran the correct route and what “on target” means to this individual analyst.
    QBs throw to spots, specially on anticipation throws. If the receiver is not there, whose fault is that?
    Yes, Levis was hurt the majority of the season, he didn’t move as well as he had previously. But he’s a gamer, still played through a bunch of injuries. That could be seen as stupid.

Either way, some of you just can’t understand that no one is asking for Levis. I would just want him way over Stroud. Who will be at best Goff, more likely around Mills. Same physical skill sets and arm

13. Sooty

It’s not “no baseline”.

It’s a stat calculated via Pro Football Reference (and Sportradar) and defined as throws that would’ve hit the intended receiving target (either caught or incomplete as a result of a mistake by a receiver [drop, fall, bad route, etc])

Other categories included as part of this analysis (per PFF), are
    - Off target throws (over and underthrows, poor reads, slips, etc)
    - Incompletions forced by the defence (batter balls, passes defensed, throw aways, etc)
    - Other (miscommunication, Hail Mary)

I’m sorry you went with the “oh analyst is wrong using bad data”. It isn’t just one person’s data, but a whole host people use the data. I guess you learn something new everyday ;)

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That info was from SIS, not PFF.
    The data tells you a lot but not everything. At best, their analysts can guess where miscommunications come from. Receiver or QB, they don’t truly know unless they know how the route/read is taught by that staff.
    “Baseline” would be the equal amount of throws in the exact same situations with the exact same receivers. There’s no way that can be done, and there’s also no way to gauge how much receiver talent plays into being on target.

It’s still cool numbers and stats to look at, it serves a purpose. Either way, there isn’t a large discrepancy either way for Stroud/Levis outside of 6-10 yds, by that metric.

15. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

The latest from CBS Sports:
    y the time of the actual NFL Draft in late April, there's a chance we'll end up hitting every permutation of the likely trade-up-for-a-QB scenario. In our previous mock draft, we had the Colts moving up to the top spot. This time around, it's the Texans who go from No. 2 to No. 1 for Bryce Young.

Of course, had since-fired coach Lovie Smith just lost in Week 18, Houston would've ended up with the first overall selection, and it wouldn't now cost them picks No. 2, 66 (3rd round), 104 (4th round) and a 2024 3rd rounder for the honor to take the Alabama QB.

Meanwhile, the Raiders move from No. 7 to No. 3, swapping places with the Cardinals, to grab C.J. Stroud. The cost? That aforementioned seventh selection, along with No. 39 (2nd round), and a 2024 2nd rounder.

The Colts stay put at No. 4 and target Kentucky quarterback Will Levis as the latest face of the franchise

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Just one question. Is any QB in this draft a likely 10 year starter? Are they the best available player? Are they the best of the decade candidate?

Or are you a QB makes the team rather than the TEAM makes the QB fan?

I tend to be old school and want a team built first so a QB can have early success.

I've heard Anderson and Carter described as 10 year acquisitions who should make perennial pro bowls. But I've only heard next years class has two better QBs than any this year.

#2396 Marshall Bryant, Jan 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Projected trade -

IND receives: 1-1, 4-10

CHI receives: 1-4, 2-35, 3-79, 2024 1

1. Indianapolis Colts: Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

The Colts’ gambles on expensive veteran signal callers has not panned out the past few years, so they go all-in to get their pick of the lot this year. The 6-foot-3, 222-pound Levis might be a controversial choice, but he possesses the physical tools and intangibles to grow through the adversity that all young QBs must face.

2. Houston Texans: Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

The Texans watch the Colts move ahead of them, but they get the guy they liked all along. there will be lots of questions about young’s build (6-foot, 194 pounds), but he has rare presence and instincts for the position. his production during the past two seasons – 79 touchdowns vs. just 12 interceptions and 8,200 yards – is eye-popping.

12. Houston Texans (From Cleveland): Jordan Addison, WR, USC

Addison, who had 25 touchdown receptions the past two seasons, is a polished route runner who should pair nicely with Bryce Young. They should be able to quickly get on the same page.

#2397 Rockets34Legend, Jan 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    ROCKSS, Rudyc281 and Sooty like this.
  18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

While I agree with you on the color chart (why is blue even on there, make it make sense) and I agree to stay away from Stroud both as an Ohio state qb and under pressure he seems worse. The players around them effects are getting old. Worse receivers but playing against worse defenses. Same for the other side. Numbers are numbers, stats are stats. The ball is thrown 21+ yards pretty rarely. 1-5 is screens.. 6-21 is the most plays in the nfl. He’s bad at that. Don’t trust Levis and really worrying so many excuses made for him. Don’t want stroud either. Bryce young fits every metric but for some reason being short means he’ll suck.

Omihall23, Sooty and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Please show me where I say “Culley was a good hire”? I’ll wait…

BTW, Dusty won the World Series and is back for another season.

20. Major

Major Member

Your response ...

You thought the Texans were prioritizing building a contender for the long haul ... by hiring David Culley.