1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone has a plan and....he is sticking to it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jan 18, 2023.

?

Do you believe that Stone's plan is being executed?

Poll closed Feb 8, 2023.
  1. Yes

66 vote(s)
    71.7%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    28.3%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

86% unlikely.

DD

2. Rokman

Rokman Member

Yeah but still a 14% possibility. That possibility goes up exponentially when you throw in all the unprotected Nets picks, Jalen Green and whoever else they want in return.

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If we get Wemby, we are 100% building around Wemby. He becomes the core. If Jalen, Jabari, Sengun don't fit then adios.

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

[​IMG]

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Problem is that the plan is very flawed

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You guys need to go to Vegas and play a 14% payoff machine and see how quick you go broke.

DD

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

8. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

This is the problem - the way Stone and Tillman have set up this organisation means that EVEN with Wemby, the best case scenario for being a 10th seed would be 2025. Making the play-in in the west is hard.

Take the Thunder. They have a near MVP level player, a top ~75 level player in Giddey, and excellent role players in Jaylen Williams and Dort.

If that's the roadmap for the rockets, we are clearly a long ways off. Who is taking the leap to all-star level in the next year? At minimum it will take green/sengun two years to reach that level, and Jabari at least three.

In the best case scenario, the rockets are staring down the barrel of another year of being one of the worst teams in the league. If jabari/Green don't develop, it will be much longer. The play-in, let along playoffs is a long way away, and requires believing in development that has not happened at all under current management. That's why believing in Stone and his 'plan' is laughable.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Their stats develop way faster but more than likely it is about efficiency and massive improvement defensively.

Letting go of individual achievements and sacrifice for the sake of the team.

10. dmoneybangbang

And what are the odds of building through mediocrity?

Corrosion likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

That’s a lot of assumptions…

What you are leaving out is the OKC Thunder are intentionally sitting on tons of cap space. They could fill out roster spots with average to good role players and be a different team…

The Rockets best case scenario is they get Wemby, use their cap space to bring in above replacement level players, trade some of their assets for another piece, and be in the mix to get bounced in the first round.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Call me optimistic. Why? Because I optimistically hope/expect a new HC demanding accountability and getting everyone in the right place/roles clearly defined and followed.

Optimistic as I expect sig leaps from all of those on roster I expect to see going forward in prominent roles.

Optimistic because I expect Wemby or Scoot to walk-in the door.

Optimistic because I anticipate a decent FA … or two.

13. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I do not care about winning this year I just want the drafted players to play and develop skills in the game not practices. I’m satisfied if

Sengun play 30+ minutes
    Play TyTy now
    Play Christopher
    Keep Nix and Mathew on the bench

development and hope we get the 1st or 2nd pick at least. I’m watching the Thompson Twin on Prime they cannot shoot at all. We have the worst team in the league and they cannot start for us. Wemby or Scooter or BUST

14. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

If this is really the plan, Stone should be fired as well.

albuster likes this.
  15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

After all the hysteria it is good to see something else.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...s-more-get-an-a-lakers-wolves-earn-low-marks/

I admit to being pleasantly surprised to see the mediocre C evaluation.
    Houston Rockets: C
    Most rebuilding teams may receive high grades because the positive development they're seeing from their young players is the main goal. However, for Houston, the same can't be said. No. 2 overall pick in the 2021 NBA Draft Jalen Green has regressed in his efficiency despite averaging over 21 points a game. Veteran guard Eric Gordon has spoken publicly about the team's lack of improvement over the course of the season, and the lack of discipline has been cited several times when you watch the Rockets play. Jabari Smith Jr., who Houston selected with the third overall pick in the most recent draft, has shown great promise as a two-way player, and second-year big man Alperen Sengun has often looked like Houston's best player this season. But when you watch the Rockets play there's a serious lack of cohesion or team basketball, which is what you don't want when trying to establish a culture with a young crop of players.

16. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I'm one of the tankiest tankers here. But it's gotten to the point where I'm glad we don't have our 2024 first-rounder. Because it's past time for these tanky incentives to end. At some point the damage to team culture and reputation outweighs the perverse compensation in high picks.

17. albuster

albuster Member

I may have missed this, but what are Stone's credentials and background that make him qualified to be a GM of a basketball team? Can someone please educate me on this? Thanks.

18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

The team really needs a head honcho to foster cohesion.

19. Rokman

Rokman Member

Sure it does.

20. Rolliepollie

Rolliepollie Member

Wrong lol, bad news for you next yrs pick is top 4 protected. Meaning we can tank next year also and hope we get into the top 4 just like we did in 2021. I bet they tank again next year.

snowconeman22 and Will like this.