1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Cal definitely has hotdogs for veins.

Nook likes this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Kubiak and O'Brien were, at the time of their hires, wholly legitimate choices. It's not really fair to judge backwards. (And Capers wasn't as bad as Smith or Culley - but I have no issue with being underwhelmed by Casserly/Capers; the McNairs continually running to dinosaurs like Joe Gibbs and Mike Shanahan and such to provide guidance is a recurring problem.) (Also, I'm not going to count interim coaches against them.)

So, essentially, the two worst hires have been under Caserio's watch. ALL IS WELL!

itzIce, Two Sandwiches and Nook like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

There is a plan. It is to suck through this past year for draft picks, build through the draft and to look for free agents when we actually have cap space. We need to give casserio this off-season to set us up to compete in the afc south with a last place schedule. The impatience with the Texans after bob and Watson gutted us is as stupid as the idiots on the rockets forum that expect a team of teenagers to compete in the nba.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think the Texans should pay a price for Payton (that's not the #2 pick obviously) as he's the best HC out there and a proven commodity but...

Do I really believe Caserio will do it? No. I think it is a power thing and if you bring Sean Payton into your organization then Payton immediately is a force in the FO and Caserio will immediately lose power.

I don't know if it was mentioned already in this thread but I'm sure that's why they did the virtual meeting, Caserio wanted the interview to seem as unappealing to Payton as possible so that there is no choice that Payton decides he wants this job because if Payton wants this job then Cal just might overrule Caserio and bring him in and that might be the end of Caserio here. That's my little conspiracy at least. Also, a virtual meeting with Demeco isn't the same since Demeco is also currently coaching a team still in the playoffs and flying around for interviews would probably not be wise for him to do.

Caserio is going to try to hire some coach he can manipulate and influence and that definitely is not a super bowl winning coach whose career win % is over .600.

I want Demeco, partly because it's going to piss of Stephen A Smith but also partly because I think he has that it factor you look for coaching prospects. He's also a sentimental hire, being a former Texan when the Texans were at least average and I think if he has a strong staff to pull him through the learning experience he'll be just fine.

I'm feeling Payton, Demeco, Gannon, I'll be happy with any of those three.

itzIce and Two Sandwiches like this.
  6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

There’s a rumor that if the Texans get Demeco, he could bring front office personnel from the Niners.

itzIce, Rockets34Legend and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Caserio is not going anywhere. People misunderstood what he was sayin'.

whag00 and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Kubiak is a good coach. WTF are people talking about? It didn’t end well and he had his flaws in Houston, but lumping him in as a bad hire is just ignorant.

9. STR8Thugg

That would be ideal

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. STR8Thugg

Caserio was interested in working with O’Brien but he needs all the power? The narratives man

primtim24 likes this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Caserio wasn't interested in working with O'Brien though...

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. STR8Thugg

According to...?

He was interested, the Texans just had to pull back bc the Patriots started firing off tampering violations.

No Worries likes this.
  13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

All of my posts in this thread should have this disclaimer at the bottom.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean you're going by assumption here as much as I am. Caserio was trying to get the job here, anyone trying to get a job is going to say "I'm willing to work with the guy there." the fact is they never worked together.

So I don't know why even bring him up? You have no idea what kind of power struggle would have or wouldn't have happened, just that Caserio said some nice things about him means nothing. Caserio is going to say a ton of nice things about everyone he works with or has worked with because that's part of being professional.

They are going to say nice things about every coach they interview here all while thinking the coach wouldn't be a fit.

Caserio was interested in getting the Texans job. That's what he was interested in.

Major likes this.
  15. STR8Thugg

That's fine, it's safer to assume he was interested in becoming the GM which meant working with Obrien. Whether he was more interested then or when he took the job as a complete dumpster fire with more power is mostly irrelevant. My point is that I don't think he has to be the one controlling everything. He might even prefer to have someone else assume some control at this point.

JayGoogle likes this.
  16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He was mediocre at best. Look at his results. Multiple 7-9/9-7 seasons. only 2 years where the team was good, then it came cratering down. He routinely got outcoached in the Playoffs.

He only won a Super Bowl with Denver on the back of Wade Phillips elite defense and Peyton Manning being the coach on the field.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I just think that most GMs are going to hire a coach they feel they will have some power over which is unfortunate because the best set up is where a GM and coach can work together and have close to equal power which is important since the GM hires the personnel (the players) and the coach manages.

I just can't see a GM, like Caserio, one that likes to have a lot of say in what goes on, eager to hire Payton who clearly wants to go somewhere where he has a lot of sway in anything that goes on as well.

18. Hey Now!

BRING THEM ALL!!!

mikol13 and red5rocket like this.
  19. Hey Now!

Kubiak was not mediocre. He assembled a lot of talent and his offenses were very good. His Achilles was hiring defensive coordinators. If he had brought with him someone as good as Wade initially - they would've made the playoffs in '09 and been a real force for several years.

20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

What about the rest of the quote. “Some owners inherited money from a family” could be broncos. And he said “broncos have a good group, they got condelisa rice, but you see it all the time” umm what? I could see that quote being taken as the broncos ownership is in question too. What’s does Ms rice know about football ownership?