1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hey Cal, you forgot one.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Jan 15, 2023.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Any time I’ve over heard Caserio speak in an interview or press conference, he comes across as a really dumb guy

get rid of him

Nook likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Have you ever seen this guy:

[​IMG]

and this guy:

[​IMG]

...in the same room?

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

If we aren't grabbing a qb in the 1st this year, we should take a flyer in the 3rd or 4th to compete with Mills for the backup to the stopgap veteran. We might catch lightning in a bottle

4. raining threes

I would say the Watson trade was a win and the other trades were just late rd picks and pick swaps. No big deal.

Shark44 likes this.
  5. raining threes

Seems like a solid plan to me.

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Lawson didnt work out, but McKinney isnt even in the league anymore. They also got come cap savings on Lawson contract restructure. Lateral low risk move. Cannon got injured and never played. Its not a win but hard to fault GM on injuries.
    Yes Anthony Miller was lame, but Texans had to do something to get talent on roster.

7. raining threes

None of these moves damaged the rebuild.

Anybody that think they did are just looking for something to gripe about and most likely didn't like the Caserio hire to begin with.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Wasn’t that what we did with Mills?

9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Is all of Deshaun’s contract off the books?

Verbal Christ likes this.
  10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, but this year our 3rd round pick won't be our 1st overall like it was in 2021. Maybe use our 6th pick (rd 4 #104).

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm down for cutting Nicky Scissors. I'm tired of "just give him a chance " seasons. He's a part of the whole fiasco from the past 2 seasons. He has that stench on him.
    It's time for proven success! Bring Rick Smith back in here NOW!!!

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The first moment he clashes with DeMeco send him packing.

JamesC and DonkeyMagic like this.
  13. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I haven’t been impressed with him either but you have to give him 1 yr where he can spend in free agency.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  14. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I know what you mean.
    He ALWAYS speaks in vague generalities and actually almost never even answers the question asked.
    You get NO USEFUL INFORMATION AT ALL from listening to him!

He's like a "nice" version of Bill Belichick!
    Just no overt disdain for and combativeness with the media.

My main issue with Nick is the same as when he came in.
    The single most important thing a gm has to do imho is "identify talent"!
    Draft, FA and trades.

It's become clear to me he deferred to Lovie on the draft picks of Darrell Stingley Jr. and probably Christian Harris.
    And it would follow to me probably at least all defensive picks as well.
    If he's not talented enough or strong-willed enough to identify talent and acquire them then he shouldn't be a gm!
    Assistant gm yes. GM no!

That's why (although it remains to be seen how he'll do) I think the "Stros made a excellent gm hire with Dana Brown, who has a great talent eval background and track record!

Is there any way we can talk Cal into letting Jim Crane hire our new gm?

15. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Actually even if we draft a qb at #2 or 12 I'm still ok with spending a late round pick on another qb in hopes of hitting a homerun like San Fran did with Purdy.

If he gets good enough to cause a "controversy" you can always trade one for draft capital then.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  16. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

The caserio hate is weird. He was hired to clean house and go scorched earth on this roster. Not every move has worked, and he pisses me off with a few things, but he got pretty much max value out of the deshaun trade, that alone should have given him an extra year or 2 of good will.

The ultimate judgment of his time here will depend on the outcome of the 6 first rounders. Given that Demeco is now the coach to develop these players, I expect it to work out.

17. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Nick Caserio has stated on multiple occasions that he admires the Pittsburgh Steelers and uses Mike Tomlin as a model for what he thinks is ideal in a head coach. Based on that it’s obvious he didn’t want to roll with David Culley or Lovie Smith, but given the situation with Deshaun and cap space, using bridge coaches was a decent plan. Now we get to see what he’s really about.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  18. IBTL

IBTL Member

You on crack son.

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

No, I'm not on crack. I'm clean, always have been. I just have a strong opinion about the mistakes Caserio has made.

Tell me what I said that you are against? Mills has not been successful, Stingley did not have a successful rookie campaign, nor did Green.

In addition, what trades has he won? I'm not being negative but if Green and the #12 pick this yr doesnt pan out, then he may have lost the DW4 trade too.

20. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

In fairness:
    Mills was a third round pick, what were we expecting. Most difficult position on the field, and he has been dwarfed by a lack of any weapons.

Green was playing well before his injury. Was obviously not the same upon return. He will shine this year.

Stingley was the wrong person for last years defense. I bet he is a key player for Ryans this year and is going to be playing with a chip on his shoulder. Probably Sick of hearing about Sauce being so much better than him.

I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

houstonstime, Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.