1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone has a plan and....he is sticking to it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jan 18, 2023.

?

Do you believe that Stone's plan is being executed?

Poll closed Feb 8, 2023.
  1. Yes

66 vote(s)
    71.7%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    28.3%
  1. 34to11

34to11 Member

I'll say it again...

I pray that Stone has the fortitude to stay true to the plan and not be swayed by the dimwitted lamentations of a myopic fan base.

Corrosion likes this.
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think its possible that the greater part of their plan is yet to come.
    I think the next big step is slated for this coming off-season.
    And then, the draft.

Whatever their plan, or lack of one, it wont be much clearer until JUNE 22, 2023.
    Not just the pick, but our coaching staff direction should be clearer by then also.
    I wouldn't rule out an interim move of some type though.

hajkov, BaselineFade and DaDakota like this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Any move is a gamble.
    Like any other, we wont know what fruit it bears ultimately for a while.
    One thing is certain though, it was designed with the future more in mind than the present.

Corrosion likes this.
  4. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I've seen it said repeatedly since the Wall interview, but I think the idea that the Rockets are in the midst of a "crisis" is completely wrong. The Rockets may not be doing EXACTLY what they would prefer or have planned, but they are certainly closer to what they want than to what they don't. The Rockets absolutely are looking for a lottery pick. Before the season started, I personally thought they would be bottom 7 or so, but not rock bottom due to the two-way talent they've picked up. That said, based on Wall's comments, I think they want to be rock bottom.

I've also seen demands that something must be done now that we're in a "crisis". My hunch is that absolutely nothing will be done for the reason I mention above.

Yes, I think it would be nice for the younger players to be learning better fundamentals, but I don't think this is going to hamper their long-term development. If you think Jalen is learning bad habits, think back to Rudy T coaching Steve Francis into a mindless dribbling isolation machine that would go on to accomplish nothing in the playoffs. I personally have no idea how much the Rockets might risk in their desire to develop the youngsters while maintaining a high lottery pick... but it looks like they're going to play it safe.

In my opinion, the only thing that has gone wrong is that John Wall decided to turn into an a-hole and badmouth the Rockets long-long after he left the franchise. How is this just now coming up? Even if he didn't like it, it's not like he didn't agree to the arrangement. That said, I'm surprised they wanted him separated from the team... that's a little weird, and it seems like it wouldn't translate into actual wins. In many instances, Stone is clearly trying to change the reputation of the team from Morey's attitude of "players as assets" to one of loyalty and "treating players right", so Wall seems to be trying to screw that up. Of course, that could just be part of the game... the worse he makes Houston look, the better chance he has of playing with those FAs next year.

#64 Doctor Robert, Jan 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    backwardhead and DaDakota like this.
  5. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Theres no master plan, the rockets are not tanking out of choice. They have no other option

Stone tried to sign players. He ended up with daniel theis as his biggest acquisition. This is an awful, trash organization that has 0 control of their own destiny. Just call it what it is

thekad and RoyalGuard like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOOOL
    they had options and choices just dont care to implement...they drafted the franchise at 16 and held him back because no incentive for them to win or clueless bb wise

7. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

sengun could play 48 minutes a night and they wouldnt sniff the playoffs

Lakers have lebron james and are sitting on 20 wins

HP3 likes this.
  8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

As long as they are not promising the keys to the franchise, I am fine with bringing him back as an Igoudala role. He either accept the terms or both parties move on.
    This was obviously the plan. Anyone who takes a step back, look at the players acquired the last two drafts and put them in this upcoming draft and see where they stand. Jalen Green would not go above Scoot Henderson, Amen Thompson, or Victor Wembayama. Sengun even after knowing what we know now would not go before any of them and same with Jabari. This upcoming draft is 84 and 2004 draft class all over again. The one that can alter a franchise immediately.
    Just be patient so we don't end up in mediocrity hell.

xaos and DaDakota like this.
  9. JonesDaddy

JonesDaddy Contributing Member

I don't think this is a fair comparison. JLin and Covington wouldn't have developed with the Rockets because they wouldn't get the opportunity. Rockets were trying to win and looking for current contributors. Covington developed on a tanking team that gave him minutes to overcome mistakes. JLin got his opportunity due to the injury bug hitting the Knicks.

Somewhere there is a balance between wasting playing time on aging vets and playing the kids for development. Seems we have leaned too far into just playing the kids. The team is basically a ton of dudes with potential and unknown skill sets. Other than draft clout, there isn't any clear hierarchy or defined roles.

snowconeman22 and kjayp like this.
  10. Doctor Robert

I have no doubt bringing Harden back would be an immediate boost for the franchise, but there are so many reasons you don't want James Harden being a teacher for the young players on the team. If you think we have a problem with the way the team plays right now, wait until Harden becomes your standard of care. I absolutely loved Harden's tenure here, but I don't have any interest in replaying it. I don't want the defensive lapses, the playoff pouting, the partying.

tycoonchip, xaos and DaDakota like this.
  11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This we can both 100% agree on. Again he either abides by what the new coach wants for the team or he can sign elsewhere. I have a feeling we are going to get someone that rules more with an iron fist as the next coach and Harden is either going to take it or leave it. No lost love here.

Doctor Robert likes this.
  12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

We're either getting Wemby or getting the 4th pick then cry as we give up our next picks to OKC.

13. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

If this is Stone's plan, I have to give him credit for tonight. He is definitely doing his thing lol.

I guess what we see now, a top 5 pick, big free agent singing and KPJ becoming an all star is the plan. New coach and time. Guess it's pretty simple.

DaDakota likes this.
  14. Doctor Robert

You pretty much answered your own post... he won't and he needs to sign elsewhere.

15. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Again we don't know that. If he fails to win a title in Philly. He might just come here to do a swan song and retire. If not he can go elsewhere to continue chasing waterfalls. He might just stay in Philly and just be using us as leverage to get the owners to pay for more talent. Who knows.
    The organization just needs stand firm and trust the process.

16. thekad

thekad Member

Who is stupid enough to believe the Rockets tried to tank for three years? They’ve been trying to win - from the laughable John Wall trade up to benching the vets in like March of last year.

They tried to win and failed. Twice. This is the first season where tanking was the priority from the beginning.

17. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

These 19-21 years old been playing basketball for many years. They aren't playing for the first time. Some basic fundamental you don't need to teach them. Box out, play defense, passing the ball, do they need to teach them again? Or US is just bad at teaching fundamental at young age?

18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

this is why i was against this whole mindset that everyone is supposed to be on the same timetable... u gotta have a mix of vets showing the youngsters how to 'play right' and hold em accountable - even when the coach aint...
    We dont know what we got...
    throwin a buncha youngsters out there with no direction or leadership (other than kpj being the 'head honcho' - shudder) is not a developmental plan... lol
    at least get an actual pg running the offense...

19. Rokman

Rokman Member

All I know about this plan is if the Rockets end up with the first pick, everyone who doubted the process will be eating crow.

I'm drooling at the thought of Webanyama and Smith growing as a defensive tandem over the years.

BaselineFade and DaDakota like this.
  20. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

There is no plan. They are trying to win, the coaches are embarrassed and the player have lost confidence and do not care. No defense effort and no direction on offense. When KPJ come back, he is going to run the offense through him and Jalen, but the offense should run through Jalen and Sengun. KPJ needs to play the 6th Man, get a veteran point guard unless we get Scooter Henderson. We should build around Sengun and find a Power Forward that can block shots and put Jabari at Small Forward. Wemby would be perfect at Power Forward for us. We desperately need one of those top two picks in the upcoming draft.