1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lamar Jackson?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by awc713, Jan 12, 2023.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

CJ just declared for the draft, so getting Lamar is probably a mute point.

2. awc713

awc713 Member

I think his trade is inevitable at this point hence why I started the thread. I just don’t see a reunion with BAL. I think Lamar’s addition would admittedly make the Texans interesting though I would hate to be sucked back into the Texans fandom merry go round. I’m not saying adding Lamar would be good or bad, and obviously draft and budget capital costs will dictate everything…but I could see Cal trying to jumpstart the rebuild by adding Lamar instead of drafting and developing a rookie QB. We all know that is a crapshoot, probably worse so for the Texans, and Lamar is still only 24 years old, so it’s not like the Texans would be trading for Wilson or another older QB.

3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Trading for Lamar is not what we need. We won’t have any cap lol This is not something you’re going to speak into existence. This is a move a contender would make.

2020 Bucs
    2021 Rams
    2022 Broncos (atleast they thought)

Albeit he is a lot younger than Brady/Stafford/Wilson, we don’t have anything around him and won’t be able to put anything around him for a few years. We’d be giving up every future asset we have.

cbass likes this.
  4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

That evaluator is confirmed to be Bill Polian.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

it's easier to build up the rest of your roster through the draft than getting a franchise qb. I'm all for Lamar Jackson. Then using our picks on BPA. With Lamar we instantly win the division. Cuz this division is garbage.

Id rather give up 2 first for Lamar than a first for Sean Payton.

6. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Don't the Texans basically have the entire salary cap to work with starting in 2024 (even if we resign Tunsil)? Not saying we should trade for Lamar, but I don't necessarily think this has to be a super long rebuild either. If you hit on the draft picks in 2023, no reason not to put significant money to work in 2024/2025. Texans have a unique opportunity with all of these assets - the time to go in on free agents is when you already have great players on the roster on rookie deals.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/houston-texans

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I respectfully disagree about Lamar. Trevor Lawrence and Doug Pederson building something over there. Doesn’t look like they built their team to beat the division but to beat the AFC. I’m not ok with this BOB win the division attitude. It seems like a lot of people are shooting for that. Yes, you want to compete to win the division to guarantee to be in the playoffs but I hope we’re thinking bigger.

Lamar is a really good player but you’re giving up more than two first rounders for him. He’d take away all our cap and majority of our future assets. We’re talking about a former MVP.

ROCKSS, cmoak1982, Qan and 1 other person like this.
  8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I admit, I don’t know how NFL salary cap works. It’s very confusing. I’ll just have to go off what you guys tell me.

If we do have a ton of cap in 2024, I think that sets us up perfectly if we hit on the right picks this year. We have what 10-11 picks this year. If we can hit on 5-6 (most importantly the QB) then it’d set us up great for 2024. We can sign the high dollar guys because we’d have our QB and basically all his weapons on rookie deals.

9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Not really we would still have our own picks. We would just be trading what was acquired by Deshaun, I don't think we are as far off as you think either. Our qb play last year was soo bad it's hard to give a fair assessment of our team.

The league is moving more towards these mobile qbs. We need to have a dial threat guy. I think Lamar is that good. Baltimore doesn't have a great roster either.

Hopefully green develops and we have a solid oline. Stingley and pitre should make us a good secondary. Metchie coming back our recievers should be better. And Lamar is use to throwing to nothing. Defense just needs to improve run defense.

I can also see a scenario where we trade for Lance. That might be more intriguing.

#29 RHU525, Jan 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Texans are not trading for Lamar. They are not Trading for Lance. Why? Lance has done NOTHING and the Niners are not going throw him away are a half season of Purdy. Lamar wants $230 million guaranteed. Texans are not giving him that, especially when has missed 11 games in the last 2 seasons. Geez, some of you are just clueless.

11. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Even as a free agent, going for a QB *NOT* on a rookie contract is a major no-no. There are doubts that we have the infrastructure and roster for him to succeed, let alone the question of if he can stay healthy.

I love watching him play, he's one of the most exciting guys in the league hands down, but paying him 200mil, giving up most of our assets when we have good QB's staring us in the face would be absolutely silly at this point.

red5rocket likes this.
  12. awc713

awc713 Member

13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Just depends on how you evaluate Lamar, I think he's one of the 5 best players in the league. No qb in this draft will come close to his level or production in my opinion. Considering he's already won an MVP. I don't see any of these QBs ever getting one.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Are you serious? 5 best players?

He’s not even a top 5 QB

15. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

your crazy if you don't think he is. He's put that team in his back for last few years and when he gets hurt they crater. He's got an MVP for a reason. He's barely trying this year cuz they won't give him a long term deal so he's not trying to risk more injuries.

but also I don't care about any other position, the five best players in the league are all QBs.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He is not a top 5 QB. He’s a top 10, not top 5.

Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Rodgers, Hurts, Brady are all better right now.
    Tua, Jones , Lawrence could be better now and in future. Lamar is right around Cousins level.

17. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

The Astros would not entertain any trade offer for him.
    Take from that what you will.

18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Rodgers and Brady were both absolute trash this year. Are you serious ? This isn't longevity award. It's what where they this year ,

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You might want to check the numbers for this year. Almost identical passer ratings. Lamar wasn’t even a top half of the league QB.
    If you’re going by just this year, Cousins, Goff, Hurts, Jones Tua, Lawrence, Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Dak, Herbert and others are all better.
    Lamar is not worth what he’s going to get paid, he’s a dynamic overall talent but he’s not a top 5 QB or player.

20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Makes no sense. Why would I just look at passer rating? Lamar Probsbly rushed for 500 more yards than everyone else you mentioned. I don't like at Lamar as just a passér,

you gotta factor in his 760 yards rushing.