1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Mock (Draft) the Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Oct 3, 2022.

1. raining threes

If you're looking to draft a potential star ability QB then take a shot on Levis. If you're good with Goff being the next QB then pick Stroud. I would pass on QB this year.

Pbev99, Xopher and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

He is the guy with the most explosive physical traits. If he can put it together upstairs then he could be a really good QB, but how many years will it take? He's not a day 1 guy. If he's there at 12 and we've locked up a stud defender with 2 I MIGHT be tempted to take a shot, but knowing that he has the biggest boom or bust potential is scary. It sucks to strike out on 1st rounders those need to be integral parts of your squad.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. Major

Major Member

This is so important. The HC (or the OC if it's a defensive HC) has to be able to pick the QB he evaluates and the best and fits the system he envisions - if he's not allowed to, you're setting him to fail. There's not necessarily an objective best QB. If Mahomes was drafted by Chicago or Houston, he could very well be a nobody right now.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Some scouts believe he is the most ready of the three.

Largely because he's played in an NFL system (you could argue Bryce did, as well), and has taken a pounding and kept going, which he will likely do when he goes to a bad team.

It's the processing part that worries me. He's a smart guy, though, and I wonder if a lot of it was him getting crushed in the pocket and also trying to do too much. That'll be a good question for scouts.

whag00 and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. Major

Major Member

With a QB, you want a boom or bust player. If he takes time to develop, that just means more good top picks in the near term. But the worst thing you can have from a top QB pick is mediocrity - then you just end up circling the drain at 9-8 or 7-10 or whatnot. Not good enough to do anything, but not bad enough to have another chance at an elite QB or decisively give up on him. If you draft a boom/bust type, then if they bust, you'll get another opportunity at it.

whag00 likes this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I'd just rather stay away from coin flips with 1st round QBs. Those top picks MUST be immediate contributors. Striking out at the top of the draft is just inexcusable. Passing the buck to other years with a shrug is how teams remain insignificant and always stuck in the revolving door. If any of these QBs are there at 12 I'd give it a hard look, but the first pick has to be a homerun.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

His tape is not great. Cannon arm. Huge kid. Tape says he has issues with exotic coverages and makes boneheaded plays way more than the other guys. It might depend on who is the coach. Sean Payton could probably make it work with any of these guys.

Sooty and Two Sandwiches like this.
  8. Major

Major Member

I don't know anything about Levis, but a lot of this reminds me of Daniel Jones when he came out. Smart guy, all the physical traits. Had played in a good conference against good competition, while not being surrounded by good players. A lot of debate as to whether he was worth the high pick.

And 3 years in, the Giants were *still* unsure and leaning towards bust. But as it turns out, he might actually be pretty good and just never had the proper support around him.

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No. The ONLY reason you want Levis is he fits your big arm, white, josh allen clone (Levis is nowhere near Allen).

I want a QB with the best tools (not just physical tools). Young and Stroud are clearly better than Levis.

red5rocket likes this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think Jones isn't a bad comp. Levis is more athletic possibly with a bigger arm though.

Think of a rich man's Jones.

Major and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Anthony Richardson is bigger, stronger, faster and has a better arm than Levis. If you want physical tools, Levis is not the most physically gifted.

texans1095 likes this.
  12. Major

Major Member

Stroud is not clearly better than anyone. He seems to have all the classic hallmarks of an elite college QB. Great O-Line protecting him all day, receivers waaay better than the CBs defending them, and launching balls deep to guys who are wide open. It's a brilliant strategy in college and something Ohio State QBs have generally mastered. Whether he can translate it to the NFL is an open question right now.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Levis isn’t even the QB I would take first. Young is, I’ve been clear about that. So there goes your idiotic narrative.

Unlike you, who only compares Levis to white QB busts but not Stroud (who is far more likely to bust) I’m going to evaluate the entire package.
    The only reason you want Stroud is because he’s black. You’re a simple minded person.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

First, no. Richardson does not have a better arm than Levis, that’s just dumb.
    Secondly, they’re almost identical size. Richardson might have a little better top end speed but they’re very similar athletically.
    As much as Levis is a project, Richardson is far more of a project.

Xopher likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Richardson is a better running QB. He is not in the same league as Levis in terms of arm talent. Both of them are lackluster in processing the field.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. Xopher

Xopher Member

Richardson is a beast, but he should have stayed in another year. If they don't go QB in the 1st round and he is available in the 2nd I would take him knowing he will have to sit at least a year.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It would be stupid not to take him if he’s there in the 2nd. So much upside.

Xopher likes this.
  18. oelman44

oelman44 Member

What's the difference between taking Levis and Richardson? Seems like Levis has a slightly better arm and Richardson is more athletic. Both are pure physical tool prospects that haven't shown they're actually good at football. Their stats last year were nearly identical against similar competition. What makes Levis a top-5 pick and Richardson on the 1st-round borderline?

19. texans1095

texans1095 Member

THIS. And Richardson is like 3 years younger than Levis. I'm fairly certain Levis will be 25 years old at some point during his rookie year. Add in the fact that he's seen as a developmental quarterback and count me out on him. His rookie contract will expire when he's 29-30, that's just absolutely insane. If you're going to go the developmental route at least go with the guy who's young enough to develop still.

red5rocket and houstonstime like this.
  20. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Richardson's arm is definitely comparable to Levis. He's not just a little faster, his top end speed is significantly better than Levis. He's more of a development, sure. But his potential is much higher IMO. And he's 3-4 years younger than Levis.

red5rocket likes this.