1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mock (Draft) the Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Buck Turgidson

Mock drafts are boring and lame, but...

if yall gave me a Texans 7 round draft going only by the names of the players, I would be interested.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Houston Texans: Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

Obviously, this selection will be heavily influenced by the Texans’ new hire at head coach. It wouldn’t be a surprise, however, if Houston’s key decision-makers wind up with Will Levis atop their draft board. The Kentucky passer is built for the NFL game and checks numerous boxes with his size, mobility, arm strength, intelligence and competitive toughness.

Levis didn’t have the senior season many expected, with a new play caller and a subpar supporting cast compared to the previous year. Some evaluators will say those are excuses; others see it more as an explanation. Regardless, the traits — both physical and mental — are impressive and will lead several NFL teams to believe he is QB1 in this class.

12. Houston Texans (from Cleveland): Bryan Bresee, DT, Clemson

The Texans drafted their quarterback earlier and now they address the defensive line. After his Freshman All-America season in 2020, Bryan Bresee totaled just 27 tackles over the past two years as he battled injuries and personal tragedy. But, as long as the medicals check out, he is an explosive player worthy of a spot in the top half of Round 1.

33. Houston Texans: Josh Downs, WR, North Carolina

1. Indianapolis Colts (via Chicago): Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

Projected trade: No. 1 for Nos. 4, 35 and a 2024 first-round pick

This trade makes sense for both sides. The Colts have a clear need at quarterback, with an owner and general manager who are motivated to get it right. Colts GM Chris Ballard, who was previously a scout in Chicago, is very familiar with Bears GM Ryan Poles — the two worked together for four years in the Chiefs’ front office. This would mark the third time over the last 25 years that the Colts held the No. 1 pick. It worked out well the other two times: Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck.

Bryce Young is a complete outlier from a size perspective and would be somewhat off-type for Ballard, but Young’s instincts, vision and accuracy as a passer are the traits worth betting on at the position. It won’t be a driving reason behind a trade up, but sniping Young ahead of division foe Houston would be an added benefit.

3. Arizona Cardinals: Will Anderson Jr., Edge, Alabama
    4. Chicago Bears (via Indianapolis): Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia
    5. Carolina Panthers (via Seattle): C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Projected trade: No. 5 for Nos. 9, 93 and a 2024 first-round pick

Two years ago, the Panthers decided to pass on an Ohio State quarterback (Justin Fields). In this draft, they might be trading up for a different Buckeye. Regardless of Carolina’s head coach hire, we know ownership will heavily influence what the team does with this top-10 pick, and it is fair to assume David Tepper is tired of the quarterback carousel of veteran washouts.

With his accuracy and ability to read the field, C.J. Stroud can carve up defenses if given time to operate from the pocket. Although it came in a playoff-semifinal loss to Georgia, Stroud had a career performance in his final college game (348 yards passing, four touchdowns). On that tape, Stroud showed an improved comfort level when he was required to create outside of structure, which will only help him throughout the draft process.

15. Detroit Lions (via Green Bay): Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida

Projected trade: No. 15 for Nos. 18 and 48

In last year’s first round, the Lions made a major trade with a division foe to move up for a high-upside offensive star (Jameson Williams). They could do it again this year and invest in their future at the quarterback position.

Thanks to his size, athleticism and arm, Anthony Richardson is a total freak show with a high ceiling, but he’s still figuring out how to be a consistent passer. Jared Goff’s presence would let Detroit develop Richardson at his own pace.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I thought the Colts wouldnt be in on Bryce Young due to his measurables? NGL Levis is a bummer for me. He's two years away from being two years away.

houstonstime likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Texans won't take Levis. He is too big a project for Nick to take a swing on. The Josh Allen comparisons are not even interesting because there has been some great physical QB's who haven't panned out. Josh Allen getting as good as he was, was an anomaly.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I like that draft for us. Would prefer Young, but if we have a strong offensive coach, I am okay with Levis.

I think a trade up for Young is awfully risky, to the point to where I don't know if a team is ballsy enough to do it. He's such an outlier that if you purposely seek him out with future picks, and he doesn't live up to the hype, it will cost you your job. It's much easier for the Texans to take him at 2 because that's the pick they got, if it makes sense. I think a trade up target from the Colts would be Levis, and that's even been rumored already.

#65 Two Sandwiches, Jan 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    ROXRAN, Wattafan and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Stroud becoming good will be a bigger anomaly

raining threes likes this.
  7. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Hard pass on this dude at 12...i.hope the Texans learned from the Stingley pick and will not go with an injury prone dude.

raining threes and red5rocket like this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Texans will be looking for a GM and Coach in 2 years in Levis is drafted.

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Your Great White Hype….is just that HYPE.

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

There's a chance.

Which is why I'd rather the Colts trade up for him.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

no way ballard trades up for anyone besides Stroud

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Wow. Racist.
    You basically just confirmed you want a QB that’s black, simply because he’s black. Not the best prospect.
    Clown

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Levis>>>>>>Stroud.
    Stroud is a poor athlete with a terrible crew around him from a school/program that produces absolutely zero quality QBs.
    Levis is smarter, bigger, faster, stronger, far better arm talent.
    He didn’t have an overwhelming advantage in surrounding talent.

Hell, you can watch almost any highlight video of Stroud, majority of his throws are scheme throws. No defenders near them.
    I know he checks your biased box, but Stroud sucks.

Xopher and raining threes like this.
  14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Ehhh, not really. I think after his showing against Georgia it would be more of a surprise if he didn't pan out. His accuracy is better than Young's.

I just think Young will ultimately be the best due to his ability to think on the fly.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

One game doesn’t change who Stroud is.
    He is accurate, but he’s throwing to mostly wide open guys. He’s mechanical.
    Young is exceptional with ball placement and ability to make plays off script.
    Stroud is a machine in a system that produces in college with elite talent around him.

Xopher and houstonstime like this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You may be digging yourself in due to some other subconscious bias with CJ which is ok. I've cooled considerably on him, but he was one of the most accurate QBs in the country. Top 5 in almost every conceivable passing metric and above both Young and Levis in those areas. We can debate his supporting team as being stronger than others and individual strengths, but at the very least he will be a good NFL game manager. Levis is a full blown project and Young is one hit away from the broadcast booth. Its really not a strong QB class when you have Anthony Richardson being talked about as a top 10 pick. He's an even bigger project. I think going for need vs BPA will bite this team in the ass.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is exactly why I would go defense. If we’re drafting QB it would be Young——————-Levis————-Richardson—————any other QB outside of Stroud.

I just don’t want any part of him

Verbal Christ likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I agree with defense first since the best players slotted for pick 2 in this draft happen to be defenders. I may disagree a little with your QB rankings, but thats ok. I might even fling a mid rounder at a guy like Cam Ward for shts and giggles to see if you catch lightning in a bottle, but going for fit at the QB position this year at the top of the draft is a huge gamble if you're looking for a franchise 'star'.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. thejav

thejav Member

Texans better draft CJ Stroud.

20. raining threes

Whoever the new HC is will get the QB he wants.

cbass, whag00, Major and 2 others like this.